Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Z-Poxy finishing resin not setting

<< < (2/2)

douglas g:
After trying heating with a hair dryer with no effect, I have had to accept that for whatever reason the chemical reaction isn't gong to happen resin just isn't going to set. Luckily I have found that with copious amounts of methylated spirits and a lot of rubbing with a rag, the uncured resin is coming off. It has the consistency of adhesive form a sticky label. Hopefully once dried off a final sanding should remove the last residue. Without the meths first, it was just clogging the abrasive paper.

Subculture:
Did you try mixing some more and applying to a piece of scrap timber to see if it sets okay overnight? Good weather for drying resin!

douglas g:
No, it was the last of those bottles. I am not going to keep them open for more than a few months in the future. It was very hot when I mixed it up and applied, so it can't have been the temperature.

Bob K:
I love Z-Poxy, but have often wondered that when both bottles are less than a third full if the air left inside can inhibit its effectiveness, especially after a couple of months after being opened.

Luckily I tend to use it up before then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version