Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: perry class build  (Read 3683 times)

hastings246

perry class build
« on: September 17, 2007, 01:45:54 am »

Hello,
I wanted to post my build of the perry class frigate. I have not decided which ship yet. The hull and some fittings are ScaleShipYard and a few from Sirmar. Hoping to finish it and start on either my Tico or three Burkes in each of the changes, flight I, IIA, IIA with sub hangar.

Sean

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
Re: perry class build
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:53:55 pm »

Hi Sean
Looks good, is it a long or a short wheelbase ship? Great to get a few modern ships together at one of the shows soon and sail in formation.
Also, what hull color (US Spelling) are you useing.

Holmsey

hastings246

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:25:43 pm »

Hello,
The Perry is the long hull. I am thinking the USS Boone FFG 28. The colors I am using were recommended by some other US modern warship modelers. There are tamiya acrylic flat red xf-7, german grey xf-63 for the decks and light sea grey xf-25 for the rest of the ship. I then hit with a flat lacquer. The only problem I am getting is the lacquer is making the light sea grey darker than it should be. I need something to protect the finish so I will have to play with different brands of lacquer/sealer.

Best Regards,
Sean

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:47:41 pm »

Gonna put the retractable forward thrusters in?

O0

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:23:15 pm »

now there would be a thing to be see.
grumpy old XXX

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:52:43 pm »

Hello,
The Perry is the long hull. I am thinking the USS Boone FFG 28. The colors I am using were recommended by some other US modern warship modelers. There are tamiya acrylic flat red xf-7, german grey xf-63 for the decks and light sea grey xf-25 for the rest of the ship. I then hit with a flat lacquer. The only problem I am getting is the lacquer is making the light sea grey darker than it should be. I need something to protect the finish so I will have to play with different brands of lacquer/sealer.

Best Regards,
Sean
Hi Sean
I use Xtracolour Neutral Gray and Johnsons clear varnish with Tamiya Flat Base. This has no effect on the shade. Neutral Gray is FS36270 and a Match for the new Haze Gray. Xtracolour paint is gloss and so does not change shade with varnish, you also don't need to gloss it to put on the decals. It can be purchased from Hannants.

Holmsey

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:24:58 am »

hastings246

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:15:08 am »

Had no idea there were bow thrusters on them. I was testing in the water and thought it needed a bow thruster. Of course I am almost done with it. Retractable bow thrusters whos up for it O0. I would like to see that setup.

Sean

hastings246

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 07:00:33 pm »

Hello,
Just wanted to post some closeups of it. Still working on the fittings and the masts. Planning on rotating the radar with a modified servo. I might lit up the control room. Once I am finished with all the fittings it will get a final coat of paint.

Best Regards,
Sean

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 07:13:52 pm »

Three Burkes, one after another, that's some project. I guess the fun is highlighting the differences but your research has got to be good. I take it you're not set on which ones to do yet.
What about the Ticco, have you decided which one of those you want to do. I am hoping to do Hue City.

Holmsey

hastings246

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:28 pm »

Hello Holmsey,
I am thinking of the curtis wilbur, oscar austin, and either the bainbridge or momsen. I wanted to build all three superstructures together and then build each ship from the fittings standpoint separate. I feel I have enough research on the burkes to build a real one. The Aegis/Tico is a little different. That is a hard ship to get pictures from a particular time. I am thinking either the CG 73 or CG 74 with some of the recent additions like the nulkas, radar changes, etc. I have some decent shots of the CG 74 refueling that shows updates but getting closeups of the entire ship is hard to find. Do you find the reference material on the Tico hard to find too? ???

Best Regards,
Sean

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 09:19:58 pm »

Sean
I chose Hue City because Paul of PSShips has some photos from when he was on her, also Darren "The Mountie" is selling me a picture disc. I was hopeing to get some shots from "Sea Photos" but they don't have that ship. Anyone out there got any they could let me have?.
I am going to build a Batch III Type 22 first and I need to get some pics of one of those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.