Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New boat, Vliestroom  (Read 10739 times)

maso

Re: New boat, Vliestroom
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 11:50:20 am »

Well, it's been a long time since i posted an update.
The build slowed down for a while while i was waiting for the motors and gear reduction sets to arrive.
I didn't want to put the deck on until i had the running gear in, i thought it was easier to sort that out without fighting my
way around the deck. I've also been working on the crane, got the motors worked out and it seems to work, I'll post a photo
of the setup soon. Anyway, here's a photo of where I'm up to.

maso

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 10:06:57 am »

Been busy working on the crane motor. I have used a Tamiya motor and gearbox to control the raising of the jib via a cam system, I have also added a micro switch under the plate that goes up and down with the cam, that is connected to a second motor that controls the rotation of the crane. So, when the crane jib is down in it's cradle, the power is cut to the motor that controls the rotation of the crane, I have to raise the jib about 5mm which activates power to the rotation motor. That way i can't rotate the crane while it's in the cradle, So i won't be able to break the end off it by mistake. Anyway, it all works.
I don't have a gear on the botom of the crane in the photo, but it's on now and running. Hope that all makes sense.  ;)

maso

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 10:23:06 am »

I thought I'd get on to some painting, sprayed on some undercoat today. Haven't done the big bits yet, will see how these come up with some colour on first. It's looking good so far.

maso

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 07:24:10 am »

Got to do a bit of painting over the last couple of days, it's starting to get there now. Hopefully will be able to do some more tomorrow.  :)

GaryM

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 09:46:19 pm »

Beautifully detailed Maso, the crane motor set up looks good.

regards
Gary :)

grzegorz75

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 08:51:36 pm »

I'm glad to see an another person building with high quailty the same model I do. Can you please post more photos of the crane motor?

maso

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 08:21:04 am »

i'll do some more crane motor photos in the next couple of days.  O0

maso

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Here's some more photos of the crane drive system. The main gearbox that lifts the jib up and down is a Tamiya 6 speed gearbox kit.
I had a bearing shell laying around, so filled it with car body filler after inserting it through the output shaft of the gearbox. That way, when it set, it's on there for good. It's off center as far as it would go, so it would act as a cam. There's a hinged steel plate that sits on top of it, so as the cam goes around it moves the plate up and down. The pushrod that lifts the crane jib is sitting on top of the steel plate, (which is part of a gate hinge actually). The other little geared motor drives the rotation of the jib, it also has a micro switch under the steel plate, so when the jib is down, it cuts power to that little motor, that way I can't accidentally rotate the jib while it sits in it's cradle. I have to lift the jib up about 10mm before i can get power to rotate it. Well, I thought it was a good idea.
Hopefully the photos will explain it a bit more and it might make sense.
The last photo shows the gear on the bottom of the crane shaft, that comes into contact with the little motor when I slide it in place.
I  made little rails so I can Slide the whole unit in and out, in case I have to remove it for maintenance.  ;D

maso

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 04:23:16 am »

I spent most part of the day and built the boat skids, wasn't looking forward to it, but once I got going it wasn't too bad. I've also painted the outside of the wheelhouse. I didn't want a nice smooth finish. So I painted the first coat with a soft brush then stippled the brush over the top to cover the brush marks. After that was dry, I airbrushed a couple of top coats on it. It looks good, so I think I'll repeat that for the whole boat.

maso

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 10:40:59 am »

Some of the wheelhouse furniture has been installed. I drilled some holes in the panel where some of the buttons are and installed a couple of LEDs behind them. They are switched on in the second photo, you can't see them very good but they do work and look good. I'll take a darker photo so they stand out more.

GaryM

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 11:15:13 pm »

Smashing detail Maso - you can see the yellow LED's.
Did you build the wheelhouse detail from memory / photo's?  Only my Marie Felling has no interior details supplied and I've not come across any on the net and wanted some idea's.

regards

maso

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 04:53:17 am »

Fortunately the Vliestroom comes with etched brass panels, also on the plan they give ideas for scratch building some interior parts. The other good thing is, I've had a look on the net at other peoples Vliestroom to see what they have done. I'm not too worried if it's 100% correct, I think if it looks good, then I'm happy. I've still got a few more bits to make yet.
I have just painted the Superstructure, it's drying at the moment, will put some photos up tonight hopefully. It's come up quite well so far.  :)   

maso

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 09:35:06 am »

I'm slowly getting there, it's good to see some paint on it. It's starting to look more like a boat now.

maso

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:22 am »

Added a couple of computer panels to the main panel and some maps to the map table  ;D

maso

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2008, 03:12:27 am »

i thought i'd better keep the crew happy, so I made them a coffee cup. It's 3mm high and 2mm in dia. At this stage they will all have to share.  ;)

maso

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 09:10:29 am »

Here's an update photo. Been busy working on the crane, most of it's done, have to add the hydraulic lines and the winch. I have the winch motor ready to go but I'm still trying to work out what to do about the winch drum. I've had a go at making a couple, but I'm just not happy with them. Of course, if I had a little lathe, anyway, I'll keep at it.
I'm at the stage now that I should paint the decks and the hull, which is pretty much the rest of it. I think I'll try to get that done this weekend. That way I can start adding all the good bits.  ;D

maso

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2008, 12:50:28 pm »

Made up some of the railing today. I decided to solder them together, then brushed on some undercoat and sprayed on the final colour.
I've never made rails before, so I'm quite happy with the way they came out.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2008, 04:26:16 pm »

Nice job.

The top rail on Drumbeat sat on top of the stanchion rather than go through a hole in it as your picture. Its sometimes a good idea to use a couple of crocodile clips either side of the solder joint to act as a heat sink but the MSW stanchions are quite sturdy. The lower rails can just be super glued in place.

maso

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 02:26:09 pm »

Been busy painting the hull, wasn't looking forward to it, but I enjoyed it.
I painted the top of it white first, then red oxide car primer on the bottom second, masked off the white around the top, then painted the black last, it seemed to work ok.
I've also done some more rails and stairs.  ;D

GaryM

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 08:00:26 pm »

Looks fantastic Maso, was painting the water line (between black and red) hard - it looks like there are 'fins' to negotiate.

regards

maso

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05:19 am »

Yeah, it's those damn ribs that i wasn't looking forward to as they are on an angle. I used 6mm Tamiya masking tape which worked really well.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.