Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New boat, Vliestroom  (Read 10724 times)

maso

New boat, Vliestroom
« on: September 17, 2007, 03:45:39 am »

Well, I just ordered the Model Slipway's Vliestroom.  :)
At this stage ( I change my mind frequently ) I will have working lights, radars and the crane. The crane is what I am most looking forward to.
Looking forward to starting, can't wait.  O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: New boat, Vliestroom
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:10:31 am »

Excellent and welcome to the Mayhem!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:14:39 am »

there are a couple already on here, one of which was made by "Farradays Cage" and has a lot of working parts
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:09:52 pm »

Here's the latest photo of my version of the Vliestroom. Photo taken at the Pontins Modellers Week. September 07.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:32:16 pm »

OK Faraday's Cage, tell us about the working crane!  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

maso

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:01 am »

Yes, I've just started to build the Vliestroom, and would love to know how you made yours work. I plan on my crane working, but it's always good to get ideas from other people.  ;D

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:44:12 am »

Maso,

You need to decide how you are going to control the crane functions. I decided due to the delicate nature of the moving parts that normal radio control was out due to possible interference problems, so  I went for a 499mhz 4 way switcher(Similar frequency to central locking systems on cars). I've found this to be totally reliable. 

I have 3 functions on the crane - Arm slew, arm raise/lower and hook in/out. All controlled using camcorder motors and gearboxes from gash units off ebay. I got 3 motor/gearbox combos out of 1 camcorder alone.  The hook unit is fitted on the back of the arm in place of the white metal fitting supplied. The slew unit is fitted under the deck and connected to the hub of the crane via a large cog. The arm raise / lower unit is located inside the main housing of the crane body and uses a threaded push rod to raise the arm.

"Tug Kenny" is building the same and posting through the build. If you type Vliestroom into search box you will get further info on contruction which may be of use to you.
Terry.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:54 am »

Hi Maso

Yes, it's a lovely build. The boat skids are the hardest to get right section. I did it three times before I got near the desired result.  ;D

The paint sections are all down to my inexperience, and I needed Stavros's help to achieve a better result.

I still have not done the crane power-up due to fright !! and have left this till the very last. (I've got the hole in the deck ready  8) )

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

maso

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:26:26 am »

Well, I think it's about time I uploaded some photos of my build.
This will be my first boat, yeah I know, not really a good one to start with, but what the heck. So far I'm really enjoying it.
I also don't follow plans very well, I follow them, but not in the right order. If I need a break from something I'll move on to another part for a while then come back. Anyway, here's some photos.
No 1. I've installed the rudder tubes and have glued them in place.
No 2. Here I've glued on the bulwark liners and am adding the deck supports, pegs come in real handy for all sorts of things.
No 3. I decided to have a break and move on to the crane, it's what I was most looking forward to building. The plan is to motorize it.
No 4. I am replacing the plastic rod that was to be used for the pivot with brass rod. No real reason, just looks shiny.
No 5,6,7.  Here's some shots of the jib head, I've replaced the white metal pulley's, with brass ones as they are so much better, since it will be working, they turn much easier.
Well, that's it for now. More to come soon.  O0

maso

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 10:08:28 am »

Here's a few more photos. Done a fair bit.

No 8.  Soldered the two halves of the rudders together then filed and sanded so they are nice and smooth. That was a lot of work, but                    I  think they  look good.

No 9.  Rudder tubes in place and beginning to build up some body filler.

No 10. While the rudder tubes are setting, I've started to assemble the superstructure.

No 11 & 12. A couple more views of the superstructure.

So far it's coming alone nicely.  ;D

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:18:47 am »

It's coming along nicely. Looks very tidy and accurate workmanship.

One tip  (if I can call it that)  is to leave the inside window shapes a little larger that the matching outside windows at the moment.  My reason for saying this is they will need lining up together when you come to glaze them, other wise you see the edges through the window. When they match up at the corners, you will find they moved the thickness of the plastic join and go out of line.  I undercut a few on mine and had to remake the section to match up better.

Also worth noting is the inside wall cabinets and tables must not come up to window height because this will not leave enough material to glaze properly.  (it happened to me !!)

I also filled the circular windows with little glazed portholes which looked super with the little rivits showing. (I found the plain hole looked a bit uninviting).  8)

I'm in the middle of a maze of motors and linkages for the crane now, and having sleepless nights as well. It really is an engineering nightmare. I have the feeling the boat will be Bow- heavy !!

All the best

Ken

maso

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31:46 am »

Thanks for the tips Ken.
I also noticed that the portholes don't look quite right without glazing. So I'll be adding that.

maso

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 08:55:40 am »

I've started on the wheelhouse furniture. The goal is to try and have a fair bit of detail in there.

In photo 13, I wanted to have one of the drawers working in the chart table. So I just cut a opening out of the top and made up a draw, it was quite easy really and looks good.
You can see what it looks like nearly finished in photo 14. The draw slides in and out nicely. Not that you will be able to when the boat is finished. But I'll know you can.  ;)
In photo 15, I've started to work on the seats. I glued some emery paper on them with the rough side down. That way you see the texture on the back of the paper. So hopefully you will still see it when they are painted.
Well, thats it for now.  O0

maso

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 08:30:09 am »

I managed to do a bit more this weekend.
No 16 - shows how I've shaped the filler around the prop tubes. Still needs a little more, but it's nearly there.
No 17 - From L to R - Model Slipways spotlight, you cant see it on that angle, but it was an oval shape, so I purchased a couple of after market ones, but they are too short as you can see by the middle one. I chopped them off under the light holder, drilled a small hole and soldered in a brass tube. The bonus with that is I can run the wires from the light down the tube.  ;D
No 18 - I've added a 3 doors to the back of the com/power panel.
No 19 20 & 21 - I plan on using LEDs for all the lights. In No 19 you can see the 3 stages. 1st is the original LED, second, I've chopped the top off so it's flat. And the last one, I've sanded the outside of the LED so it gives off a softer more even light.
You can see the difference between two LEDs. No 20 shows an original LED and photo 21 shows one that I modified.  :)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 10:08:12 am »

Great looking build.  O0

I do the same thing, filing the LEDs, but I also paint the tops and sides that will be 'hidden' white, I find it helps reflect the light out through the 'open' sides.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 07:40:48 pm »

I've also used a brass pipe to feed the wires through. Also, I have the problem with the LED's  (see pic).

I didn't know you could file them Meechingman. Thanks for that. How far down can one file them please ?

Ken

maso

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 11:42:14 am »

Hi Ken.
I just went out and cut down a LED. You can nearly cut them in half, as long as you don't go too close to the semiconductor. I left about a mm, so I ended up cutting off about 4mm from a 10mm LED. Just have a go and see what happens. O0

maso

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 11:30:58 am »

Well, Ive been pottering around and made up the hydraulic lift rams for the crane. I didn't use the plastic tube supplied in the kit for the rams, I made mine out of brass tube, for no real reason. Inside the rams, I glued in a smaller brass tube for the hydraulic rod to slide in.
They have come up quite good. It was a nice way to spend an evening in the shed with the fire going.  :)

maso

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 10:57:41 am »

It's been a while, but I'm back. Just a couple of photos for now.
No 24. I've started working on the mast, the lights will work, so I'm trying to sort out the best way to go with that. It's coming along though.
In photo 25, I took a break from the mast and started working on the life rings. I didn't use the white metal ones supplied. I made up a couple from styrene. They have been painted and now I'm wrapping some rope around each one in 4 places, should be done tomorrow so I should have a finished photo. But I think they will look good. It's the little things.  ;)

maso

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 02:50:02 am »

Ok, I made some changes to the way I made the life rings. I decided that they look better with rope wrapped all the way around the outside. Of course I'd finished them, so off came all the rope and I started again.
No 26 shows how I started with a short piece of rope that was long enough to go around the outside of the life ring. Then I wrapped that in place. After wrapping around the ring 6 times, I covered the rope in pva glue and held it with my fingers for about 10 minutes.
No 27 shows the next step.
In no 28, After wondering what I was going to do with the ends of the rope, I just cut them off at an angle.
No 29, Nearly there.
No 30, This is how I finished off, Just tucked the two ends under the rope that wrapped around. Very fiddly.
No 31 shows what the finished life ring looks like. A lot of work, but worth it.

maso

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 07:33:12 am »

I thought the Vliestroom will need some padlocks here and there.  :)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 10:38:53 am »

brass shim makes good hasp and staples.

Peter

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 11:01:42 am »

Nice work. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 04:15:04 pm »

Yes indeed.  Your attention to detail is exemplary.

Ken

maso

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 02:18:11 am »

Thanks for the comments.
This is what it looks like so far, Thanks for the tip on the brass Peter, will look into that. I'm going to have to start painting soon, as soon as the silly season is over and everything is back o normal.  :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.