Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Lifeboat build  (Read 21685 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Tyne Class Lifeboat build
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2019, 12:34:56 am »

Well deserved  :-)

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2019, 01:14:10 am »

I have been working on the stanchions and handrail on the stern of the boat. The stanchions are commercial 2 hole ones but the bases and deck mountings are made from plasticard and tube. The angled stanchions are made from brass rod and have been silver soldered together. This is the first time I have attempted any silver soldering as all the joints on the boat have been soft soldered using a soldering iron. I am pleased with the results and my silver soldering skills are improving with every joint.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2019, 11:37:47 am »

Beyno,
More good work. I'm glad you've given silver soldering a go. You're right, as you progress it gets easier and neater at the outset, therefore, requiring less tidying up. Most of the time I use cheap 'swiss' files to tidy, saving the proper Vallorbe ones for my plastic work and kits. However, just recently I bought my first set of micro broacher / reamer files 0.4mm to 1.4mm in 0.2mm increments - six in all. These little files have five flat sides and at this size are virtually round. They do take the metal off well and allow one to get into the angle of joints well. I have just tested them out on neatening up further my upper steering position gate insert on my Shannon lifeboat. I will be posting the new gate insert 're-fettled' later next week on my Shannon build 'thread'. Keep up the good work, that silver soldering is looking fine and will give just a little more strength, should the brass work get a small knock.
Kim [C.C.]
PS - the broacher / reamer file set came from Cooksongold at www.CooksonGold.com in Birmingham. I think they are in the jewellery and silver area of that city and cost £16.72 including £2.65 p&p. Not cheap, but superb little tools that are effective.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2019, 10:05:48 pm »

Thanks for your comments Kim. I will certainly look at investing in a broacher set looks like they are ideal for getting in all the little nooks and crannies a normal needle file won't.
Chris

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 12:32:25 am »

Some more of the stanchions and life ring holders made and painted ready for fitting to the stern of the boat.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2019, 08:27:17 am »

Beyno
Your build is looking extremely good i love the detail work your putting in, can you tell me where your sourced the black fender which goes around the hull, ive tried using draft excluder but its not looking as good as your fender.. keep up the great work  :-))
Trucker

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2019, 07:56:46 pm »

Thanks Trucker for you kind comments.
I haven't updated the build for a while as unfortunately my mum passed away after a short illness a few weeks ago so not much building has been done. But I am now just starting to do bits and pieces again and will post some pictures soon.
As far as the fenders are concerned I purchesed this from ebay ( it is self adhesive D section) I had to give it alight spray with satin black paint as it was a dark grey not black and with it being self adhesive it was easy to fit.
I will pm you the item number if you want 
Chris

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2019, 07:42:57 am »

Sorry to hear about your mum, i would be grateful if you could PM me with details for the fender , what paint do you suggest for it.
im about to lay down the first layer of paint on the hull all be it a primer once im happy with my rubbing down..

Trucker

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2019, 01:30:56 pm »

I haven't been able to do anything on the Tyne for a while. But have recently started doing so building again.
I have finished the electronics off, this has included the wiring of the speed controller, fuse boards, motors and battery slitter.
Also all the stanchions have been painted and had their turnbuckles and 'waterproof' covers fitted.
It has also been in the bath for leak testing and everything is ok it just needs a little ballast to bring it level and closer to its waterline.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 06:19:56 pm »

It's been a while since I last posted any updates of my Tyne build. It's all the little jobs to finish the boat off that take the longest time. I have made both the delta anchor and its guard and the larger ships anchor. And the last two pictures show them both fixed in situ on the boat.
The next task is to 'wire' up the hand rails and safety lines.

RST

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 06:44:46 pm »

I see the dual output ESC in there! Looks neat and tidy, you'll have to advise on how you get on with it, particularly with the mtronics 500 series motors please.

Modav

• Shipmate
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 10:14:58 pm »

I have just started looking at your build blog. Please can you advise if you put any stiffening formers in the Sarik hull prior to fitting the deck.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »

Thanks for your interest in my build.
I did use for formers in the hull before attaching the deck. I used 1.5mm plasticard for the actual former then glued 2mm square plastic rod to both sides of the curve this not only makes them very rigid but also gives you a good surface area when glueing the deck. I also glued 2mm square rod to the inside of the hull 1.5mm from the top edge to which the deck is glued. One thing to note is if you cut the hull to the lines on the moulding the top edge of the stern is about 10mm higher than it should be.
The patterns for the formers were copied from a build I found somewhere on the internet all I did was download the image and increased to the right size on my printer. I have included a copy of the formers. Number 1 being the stern.
Hope this helps. If you need any more information please let me know.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:44 pm »

The last little bits have now been added to the Tyne and it is eventually finished ( I may add a 'crew' at a later date).
I can now move onto my next build which is a 1/12 scale Mersey lifeboat.
Here are some pictures of the finished boat.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 03:51:41 am »

very smart looking model, you should be proud of your achievements  :-)) .
can you tell me the size you made the screen that go across the main cabin. my plans dont show this detail.

Trucker

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:29 am »

Hi 1st class build I have enjoyed the build all the way through thanks for sharing  Bill...

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2019, 03:26:57 pm »

Thanks for your kind comments .
As for the spray screens I just guesstimated them from photographs as I couldn't find any actual sizes , but I will measure the height I made mine and will let you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.