Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: faulty angling technics procat  (Read 3788 times)

Andrewwo1

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
faulty angling technics procat
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:13:06 am »

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help/offer some advice on a problem I am having. I have an old MK i AT Procat that has developed a fault. On researching the topic the fault seems quite common, however I have been unable to find a solution.

The fault lies with one of the motors (right hand side) running constantly at seemingly random times. The boat can function normally for extended periods, but will malfunction if the boat rocks or is knocked. Upon taking the boat apart the fault appear to occur if the the microchip touched (although this is not something that would happen when the boat is on the water). I have included an image that may help (not mine i must add). When the fault occurs the MOSFETs on the right hand side (labelled 2) start to overheat and smoke, also the non-latching relay (#3) is silent where as the non-latching relay (#4) clicks. it is always the right hand MOFSETs that overheat and these control the right hand motor. The LED's for the boat are also wired into the right hand side however these have also stopped working and never come on.

I have replaced the handset and crystal with no effect. I have limited knowledge of circuity but i really enjoy learning, if this is something that i might be able to fix I would really like to try.

I appreciate that this may be a lost cause but if anyone could help i would really appreciate it. I hope I have provided enough information to start a discussion.

Thanks in advance

Andy

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
Re: faulty angling technics procat
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:00:15 pm »

Can you lift out the PCB and inspect the solder points on the backside, I would guess that you may have some bad ones and / or corrosion between the points.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 03:11:31 pm »

Sounds like a dry joint or two on the
IC holder.
As Tica says, you need to look at the
underside of the PCB.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Andrewwo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:59:58 pm »

Dear tica and Netleyned,

Thank you for your quick responses. I have removed the PCB and attached a picture. There does indeed appear to be some corrosion. Does this look enough to be creating problems? The presumed faulty side is on the right of the image. Working from right to left the first two on the outer edge (one above the other) are for the LEDs, the second two are for the troublesome motor. The central two are connected to the power source.

I’ll attempt to clean them and see if this helps. Any further advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Best wishes

Andy

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:24:11 pm »

Clean up the points with a toothbrush and some alcohol / contact cleaner.
Inspect all the point with a magnifying glass, looking at the picture I would take closer look at the left of the 2 points in the middle. It looks like it has given way but it maybe the angle of the picture.
You can also just resolder all 6 points to see if it helps.
RCarsten

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:33:03 pm »

Clean up the points with a toothbrush and some alcohol / contact cleaner.
Inspect all the point with a magnifying glass, looking at the picture I would take closer look at the left of the 2 points in the middle. It looks like it has given way but it maybe the angle of the picture.
You can also just resolder all 6 points to see if it helps.
RCarsten

Toothpaste  then  white (clear) vinegar if you don't have above.    :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andrewwo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 09:20:59 am »

tica, Martin

Once again thank you for your advice. I cleaned up the points and the fault appears to no longer be occurring. Martin, thank you for the toothpaste and vinegar tip.

There is still no power to the LEDs (which is only a small issue) and I have just noticed that the troublesome motor does not function if I try to reverse the boat (the left hand motor does resulting in the boat spinning round backwards). As this motor and the LEDs are on the same side of the board could it be possible that these issues are connected?

Kind regards,

Andy

Andrewwo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:05:38 am »

Just wanted to thank you all again for your help. The boat is still not fixed (LED's still not functioning and only one motor runs in reverse) but at least the motor no longer runs constantly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the LEDs may not be functioning? They do work if i connect them directly to a power source, just not when turned on. Can I also ask a very simple. and possibly stupid question... One of the non-latching relays (numbered 3 in the picture) clicks when the transmitter tells the boat to move forward, the relay (numbered 4) is silent. The LED are connected to this relay if that helps?

Many thanks

Andy

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 08:33:59 am »

From my recent research into my procat I can say there are two places where the LED's get their connections from and both are on the same side of the board.
They all get their connection or flash from the bottom of theboard, furthest point away from the power end. One feed should come from the handset connection which keeps the LED's on when the handset binds.
The other connection is from the top of the board which you have highlighted already.
Having taken my boat completely apart I can tell you that if one should fail then all will fail as they have been daisy chained together, input to output all around the board.
I suspect one of your LED's has failed hence why none work mate.

I've got my board wiring diagram down as the thin green and red cables provide the LED's.
My connection LED is standalone although it somehow links into the others via the board and uses a red/white and a red wire to connect to the bottom of the board.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.