Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KETCH PUB, WILLERBY, HULL  (Read 2795 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
THE KETCH PUB, WILLERBY, HULL
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:31:12 pm »

Does any member from the Hull area know of the where abouts of the Landlord of the above pub from when it opened in the mid 1990's to when it was sold and turned into some sort of eating house, take away fast food joint...…

and does anyone know what he was called..

Duncan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: THE KETCH PUB, WILLERBY, HULL
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 09:03:40 pm »

Hi Neil

It's now called Papa's. It's a fish and chip restaurant. They do some lovely fish and chips. Here's a link to their website:

https://www.papasfishandchips.com/willerby/

Sorry I can't answer your question about the landlord, but the present landlord maybe able to help.

Duncan

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:45:04 pm »

thanks Duncan...…..….I was speaking to the manager and owner of Papas and they bought it off the brewery, and didn't know the previous landlord.
I then got on to the brewery chain owners and they either couldn't or wouldn't for data protection give me the chap's name of the chap or his where abouts.

just thought a local to the area might know him....

thanks for your help though. neil.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 02:24:47 am »

It might be worth asking other local shops or even pubs, if they are free houses. Also try the LVA. The local council will also have a list of names of licensees , and this should be public record as the names of licencees are above the door and public knowledge. There are also the electoral records that are public access.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:09:46 am »

Papa's restaurant has been voted the number 1 UK fish and chip restaurant for the last 2 years, so to decribe it as a fast food takeway is doing the staff a disservice.
The food is excellent and the staff very attentive, I can't recommend the place enough.
Now to the actual question of the ex pub manager. You came across the data protection act from the brewery which is a simple work around for a problem that companies invent when they can't bothered (data protection act) Simply explain you know about the act and that you also know it is entirely possible for them to pass on your name/email address etc to the person concerned for you.
There is also the local paper facebook page where you could drop a general enquiry - somebody in the Hull area will know what happened, the facebook page is called Hull Live. Or search for Hull Daily Mail.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:15:27 am »

Yes.......the video of the Papa's Restaurant and the menu looks superb......Neil may remember that we in Australia traditionally had experienced years of a slab of Shark & Chips cooked in animal fat  <*< from a Take-a Way.....or Laminex Tables & Chairs in posh places

South Australia have always been the exception with quality Fish Restaurant's as opposed to {-) Take-a Ways in other States
So not before time, certainly NSW has upgraded  the game no end.........

Neil will remember Wollongong....well some 20 km's south on the Eastern Coastline is a Village style Town of Kiama....150 years ago they loaded cedar timber and dairy products into sailing vessels destined for Sydney

A few weeks ago, I called to see a colleague & later decided to look at the small Convict built harbour......   

The smell from the Sit Down Restaurant drew me in to sit on hewn timber benches & side tables & eat a lightly battered fillet of Silver Perch & Chips  $14.90......it was magnificent  :P.....however equally magnificent was the view through the fold a way glass doors directly overlooking the Tasman Sea.......

Could just imagine the Barque Endeavour [with Captain Cook] or the Sloop Tom Thumb [with Bass & Flinders] sailing past all of those years ago.....

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »

Hi Neil,
For what it's worth,
the last named gaming
machine license holder
for the Ketch was John Gau.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 02:38:28 pm »

Papa's restaurant has been voted the number 1 UK fish and chip restaurant for the last 2 years, so to decribe it as a fast food takeway is doing the staff a disservice.
The food is excellent and the staff very attentive, I can't recommend the place enough.
Now to the actual question of the ex pub manager. You came across the data protection act from the brewery which is a simple work around for a problem that companies invent when they can't bothered (data protection act) Simply explain you know about the act and that you also know it is entirely possible for them to pass on your name/email address etc to the person concerned for you.
There is also the local paper facebook page where you could drop a general enquiry - somebody in the Hull area will know what happened, the facebook page is called Hull Live. Or search for Hull Daily Mail.

thanks Brian, and TT and thank you Ned...……..I am after tracing the model trawler that was built into the entrance wall of the Ketch when the pub  was being built.

It was a 5.5' long model of a Hull steam trawler called Pentland Firth..

I don't suppose any of you guys out there happened to know of it's where abouts. Last time I saw it, it was still in the built in glass case looking somewhat spider web ridden and looking the worst for wear.

neil.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »

Would that have been in the 70's Neil?
Sounds typical for the time.
 A fishing Ketch would have been more
appropriate than a steam sidewinder.

Or were you commissioned to build it?
No, you would have been in Derekland then %%
Ned

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »

Try the museum I seem to recall seeing a model fitting that description when I visited the area. Can't remember the name of it though. Sorry. Or try the contractors that did the conversion.It could be in their boardroom. Or one of the BOYS might have it safe in their possession :-)) ;)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 04:42:51 pm »

Oops!
Not built until the 90's
Take back my comments Neil

Maritime Museum may be of help.

Ned

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 06:31:21 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, but it may still be there. The place is liberally decorated with old trawling/fishing memorabilia.  Have you spoken to the manager of Papa's? If it came as part of the building when they took over it could be they know where it went.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 06:53:23 pm »

Would that have been in the 70's Neil?
Sounds typical for the time.
 A fishing Ketch would have been more
appropriate than a steam sidewinder.

Or were you commissioned to build it?
No, you would have been in Derekland then %%
Ned

hi ned it was between 85 and 95 for the brand new opening of the new build pub...….in fact they were still building the pub when I took it to the site manager on site.....but can't remember the exact date

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 06:58:35 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, but it may still be there. The place is liberally decorated with old trawling/fishing memorabilia.  Have you spoken to the manager of Papa's? If it came as part of the building when they took over it could be they know where it went.

hi brian, no its not at the fish restaurant as I have spoken to the owners, but the concensus is that the landlord took it in the last days of his tenancy of the pub, as neither the brewery  surveyors/inspectors/valuers or the purchacers ever saw the model at the end of its time as a pub, but the manager in charge of acquisitions and shattles found it on the original inventory, and I visited about 5 years before it went up for sale, the model was still there.

and yes, Ned, the brewery did commission me to build it for the pub.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.