Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R/C SWITCH  (Read 3005 times)

catman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
R/C SWITCH
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:49:06 am »

Hi I was wondering if any one on the forum has any experience of the Dr mad R/C four channel electronic switch from Hobby-king.
What I would like to do is  use each channel on the switch as so.
channel 1/ steaming lights on/off
channel 2/ steaming lights and deck lights on/off
channel 3/ steaming lights and spot light on/off 
I am using LEDs in the lights
I have tried a Diode between each circuit and it works But (there is always a but) the LED on two of the channels on the R/C switch lights up
as if both channels are on I don't know if this is ok or not (no point asking Hobby-King) any help would be very much appreciated  :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R/C SWITCH
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 09:58:19 am »

Reading the description on - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dr-mad-thrust-4ch-electronic-on-off-switch.html -

This small lightweight 4ch switch is extremely handy for auxillary functions on all sorts of models. Plug the single lead into an auxillary switched function then switch your radio on, channel 1 on the electronic switch will then be active, cycle the auxillary switch once and channel 1 goes out and channel 2 comes on, cycle the switch once more and 2 goes out and channel 3 comes and so on until it comes back to channel 1. When the radio is switched off and then switched back on the unit will default to channel 1 each time. This unit is great for switching lights on and off and other low current applications.

it looks like it should be one function at a time.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 05:53:27 pm »

yea it one at a time by the looks of things.

I do have a option that might help, please PM me and will let you know as don't want to high jack your post.
cheers

Tim

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 05:55:43 pm »

If this switch operates the same way as their 7 in 1 switch does, then the sequence will be 1.on then 2.on then 3. etc the last position in your case 4, in the couple I have no 7 turns all off. In other words once a position is on, it stays on regardless of other positions until the last one is reached.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 06:20:16 pm »

If this switch operates the same way as their 7 in 1 switch does, then the sequence will be 1.on then 2.on then 3. etc the last position in your case 4, in the couple I have no 7 turns all off. In other words once a position is on, it stays on regardless of other positions until the last one is reached.

So it goes 1 then 1+2 then 1+2+3 then off then 1 then 1+2 etc etc etc?
Looking at Catmans switching sequence this would mean that the deck lights (2) stayed on when the spot light (3) was switched on.
I would not have thought that from the description. I read it as 1 then 2 alone then 3 alone then 4 alone.

catman

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 10:14:49 pm »

It is 1 on 1 off 2 on 2 off and so on I tried a Diode between channel 1 and 2 this works BUT the LEDs on the switch are on for channel 1 and 2
when I move  from 1 till 2 I'am not sure if this is OK or it might damage something

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 07:46:24 am »

The Forge Electronics 8 Channel RC Switch would offer you greater control of the ON/OFF options although it requires a deeper pocket and the use of a proportional channel to operate it. 'N' jabs of the stick one way turns on output 'N' and 'N' jabs the other way turns off output 'N' so any combination of lights (in your case) can be set up. You can also configure whether outputs are momentary or latching and which of them are already ON at power up. Outputs are rated at 0.5A each.

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/boats/8-channel-rc-switch

in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king

catman

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 12:03:02 pm »

Thanks JBF I will have a look but I think another R/C switch will be my option I have 10 channels and have 5 still to play with

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »

Great, you've figured out a cheaper option that will work for you, given your profusion of channels - hopefully my solution will still be of interest to others with less fancy RC systems.

catman

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 03:08:49 pm »

Nothing fancy just a flysky -i6 that I updated the software £3.00 for a data cable and download software at no cost 6 becomes 10 .
I had a look at the site very interesting some food for thought maybe for my next one and the prices are not bad

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 03:28:48 pm »

OK, thanks for the feedback - I'm running out of imagination for new boating projects so let me have any ideas to consider  - currently on a stepper motor gun controller with traverse, elevation, recoil, muzzle flash and synchronised sounds. 

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 08:26:57 pm »

Hi there
I have used the Graupner SXM 4Ch for the last 3-4 years and i Denmark it's approx. 25£ which is a fair price.  (a standard bottle of Bowmore is 48£ just as a reference  ok2 )
Regards
Carsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.