Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Launching.  (Read 2702 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Launching.
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:56:03 pm »

OK, Im getting on and kneeling down at the side of Fleetwood boating lake to put a heavy model weighing 10 - 11kg in the water doesnt do one's back any good.
Ive got a new model to build but getting it in the water without putting my back out means Im open to suggestions for transferring said boat from dry land into the lake. So, what suggestions \ contraptions do people have for putting a boat in a lake when the water level is below the ground you're kneeling on?
Ive heard some people use 2 timing belts but unless you have a very short stand (which might not be stable if you have to drive to your local pond), I dont see how they are going to support the hull. Model is an MSW Gry Maritha so just over a metre long.
TIA

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Launching.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 07:15:24 pm »

I know exactly how you feel! There are various options but I have used some simple components to construct a launching and recovery frame.
Colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00:08 pm »

I use  a set of slings with wooden handles to give a spread of the supports. The body of the slings are from upholstery strapping.
Don't Assume Check

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 04:36:39 am »

A friend took a small hand truck/dolly and made a universal cradle from PVC pipe.  With the wheels on the dolly he can roll a boat up and over the edge of a concrete pond and let the boat down easy.  Sorry, no picture.

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:07:49 am »

Possibly adapt a shopping trolley frame? These are often available secondhand.

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 08:14:11 am »

I have a very heavy steam tug and initially used the strop method but had some "slippage" which frightened me to death. (I thought I was going to drop it!!!)  I used the Colin Bishop method having sourced the brackets from my local "Range store" and find it brilliant.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 08:34:10 am »

I have a seven foot battleship of 30 kg that is transported in two halves.  The ship is assembled on a wooden bench lakeside, and with the assistance of a colleague lifted into the water using wood/upholstery straps similar to those shown previously.  I cannot kneel by the waters edge so having two people, one lifting strap each, makes the job easy. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:06:58 am »

Different lakes give different problems.  If a boat is high enough for easy working, straps or slings give the problem that initial lifting has the top of the belt/sling too high at lift if the top is not going to be too low when the boat gets to the water and give the original problem. 
Colin's rigid frame is probably the best answer for conditions at Fleetwood where there is the low wall to work on with water below foot level.  When retrieving the boat, no problems with the device refusing to sink to go under the boat, as has been known to happen with some straps.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 09:33:22 am »

I don't claim any credit for inventing mine, I saw several examples at a club event. One of them was really nice using copper water pipe and fittings but when I priced up the materials it was very expensive so I went for the cheap and cheerful option.
There is also the question of whether you just need a lauch/recovery aid or a transporter as well.
Colin

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 01:51:23 pm »

one of those lightweight, fold up small sack barrows may provide a combined solution.

sonofpincher

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 02:29:39 pm »

No picture, sorry,  but my launcher is the bent tube handle of a child's pushchair,  with two horizontal arms at the lower end with short lengths of car heater hose pushed on. Also,  because apart from the launching stage,  I have been trying to keep the weight of my boats down by building in "self-ballasting" tanks, cutting down on lead ballast and heavy batteries. So a lighter boat slowly settles in the water,  and recovery,  using the launcher, lifts slowly out while the water drains. Only practical using styrene,  though!

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 05:25:44 pm »

This is the Club boat launcher at Balne Moor.  It is being skilfully handed by Mr Pollitt (Poll on here).

It is similar to others described in this thread. The boat is launched/recovered by rolling the wheels up/down the pond side.

The picture dates from April.  It is not that cold in Yorkshire now :}

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 01:38:12 pm »

My Iron Duke is about 55/60 pounds in weight and I constructed a very similar lifting cradle using 22mm copper pipe soldered together, pipe insulation over to protect the model. The top of my cradle is angled inwards so the center of lift is more directly over the model. It has a couple of parallel pipes from side to side as well to further support the hull.

It has proved very useful for my model, and others.

Cheers

Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 03:52:17 pm »

This a great photo!   Can I use it for a Caption Competition please Michael?

This is the Club boat launcher at Balne Moor.  It is being skilfully handed by Mr Pollitt (Poll on here).

It is similar to others described in this thread. The boat is launched/recovered by rolling the wheels up/down the pond side.

The picture dates from April.  It is not that cold in Yorkshire now :}
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 04:18:36 pm »

Please do Martin :-))

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 11:46:00 pm »

Hmmmm. Some good suggestions. Problem with the rigid \ wheeled launching cradle is the room it would take up in the small car we have now and sadly, getting a bigger car is out of the question unless I get a big lottery win!

Going to have to work on this.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 04:37:12 am »

I use straps similar to those shown in dougall99's post. I used upholstery webbing with aluminium handles, and some lead weights strategically placed on the webbing to allow the straps to sink and spread under the boat whilst retrieving. I'm away from home for the next month otherwise I would post some photos. I believe that the key to these types of devices is to use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle :D

Peter.

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47:50 pm »

there was a perfectly logical reason for me to be facing away from the pond with poll's TX! but i'll wait with eager trepidation for the captions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.