Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What I've been up to  (Read 10391 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
What I've been up to
« on: August 05, 2018, 11:41:50 am »

Hi guy's not been on the Forum for about four months ( time sure does fly) mainly because after building 6 large warships and various other craft in the 8 years since I retired I thought I'd had enough of boats and wanted a change and after a few car kits etc. I thought I would go back to an old interest and build my forth 00 gauge railway, I had all my old locos and rolling stock stored away and a fair amount of flexi track good enough to reuse, also this time it's DCC instead of DC, as most of you probably know it means Digital Command Control, so I had to fit a chip to each loco so you control each loco by an address number.
anyway I started it just over two months ago, It's on an 8' x 4' base with a hidden area or fiddle yard with a tunnel each end, I'm in no way a rivet counter so I don't bother with trains are running in a particular era or what vehicles are present etc. it's just a working model, and like nearly all scale projects there is always a compromise between what looks right and what works so some of the bends are not quite realistic, anyway if anyone is interested here's a few photos of the layout so far, If anyone is a fan of the TV series Heartbeat there is a one of the photo's should look familiar.

Cheers  guys    Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: What I've been up to
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 11:46:00 am »

I like the way the depot forced the road to go around it. Very natural in built up areas of the time. Lovely job as per usual Joe  :-))

A lot of my gang at the Yeovil club also do model railways.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »

Thanks for your kind comments Ian,.

Yes it's a very popular hobby and surprising just how many so called celebrities are into it the likes of Pete Waterman etc.

Joe.

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:29:34 pm »

Excellent layout, like the Heartbeat link. Inspirational stuff never got into railways but this has sparked an interest. Thanks

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 04:12:47 pm »

Pleased you found it of interest, one good thing about this hobby is you don't have to rely on the weather,  the layout in the photos is now dismantled I wasn't happy with it, as a model it was ok but wasn't very user friendly, some of the radii were too tight so I couldn't run large locos, the base board is now turned upside down and is being used on my next layout I hope to get it right this time, it's a walk in layout with a flap, didn't fancy crawling under every time, it has approx. 30 metres of flexi track and 22 sets of points with more sidings etc. and probably a bit of land scaping, I post phots of progress for anyone who may be interested.

Joe

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:45 pm »

Looking good  :-))

DCC or analogue?
Don't Assume Check

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 04:54:15 pm »

Looking good  :-))

DCC or analogue?
See reply 1  %)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 05:16:27 pm »

That was August. I've slept since then.  8)
Don't Assume Check

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 05:22:48 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 05:58:37 pm »

That was August. I've slept since then.  8)

ok2 ok2 yeah I know what you mean,,   Yes it's DCC and so far I have 3 of my locos converted to sound 2 steam and a diesel, once you've run a sound loco the rest seem so dull so I'll be fitting sound decoders to my other locos when funds permit, though the little class 08 shunter will be a challenge to fit a speaker.

Joe.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 06:14:37 pm »

Hi Joe.  How are you? Not sure if you remember me, mainly from the Dean's forum.   I've been out of boats and building for 4 years due to family circumstances and sold a !of of my stuff and not touched a boat for 4 years but time now to open the tool cupboard and getgback jnto it, in a small slow way and start a a new build.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 06:39:48 pm »

Hi there Mike yes of course I remember you, I'm fine thanks how are you, glad to hear you're starting to build again I'll look out for it,  I built so many I kinda boated myself out if that makes sense, I've still got HMS Brocklesby two springers and a sports boat but don't get down the lake much anymore, so I got back into model railways well I've got to be building something.
anyway good to hear from you Mike look forward to seeing what you do.   :-))

Joe

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:35:03 pm »

Thanks Joe.. interestingly my choices were between HMS Mariner or HMS Brocklesby two of my late father's early ships in the fifties. 
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:57:52 am »

Hi, two more yachts to fit out for mast and sails, then on to the model railway again.  I had to take out a few set track max radius curves (just 2) to allow for some lovely 6 wheel Milk tankers I fell for. 
They just will not reverse around the curves. 

I am hoping to make a canal boat area my son having downloaded and printed some on line kits for me.
As space is a problem, or more truthfully I am not allowed into the house with a model railway, I have a shelf type layout gradually working its way around my shed / workshop.
I am using the old cab control method with some nice Guagemaster controllers.
regards,
Roy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 09:45:19 pm »

I would be interested to see your build through to the end Joe. I have been trying to do other things these last few months to get a major project finished and I hope to do so next year, but still keeping an eye out for what you are getting up to!

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 10:31:45 pm »

Hi guys,  Started an attempt at some land scaping using polystyrene insulation the dust and offcuts become electro static and stick to everything but it's easy to shape, today I've been making some tunnel mouths using cardboard donated by a cornflakes box I'll have the first ones in place tomorrow when the paint is dry.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 08:18:15 pm »

First tunnel/bridge in place should look ok when the scenics are applied around it, started the two track bridge.

Joe

andyquirot

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 11:12:00 pm »

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 02:34:14 am »

I went to a model railway exhibition in Cologne many years ago. I was fascinated by the work that went into the scenery, and some of the dioramas were incredible. There were even very effective night scenes. 
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 04:42:06 am »

It is always a good idea to go to the large exhibitions to see how the "experts' do it.
I used to try and cram as much as possible onto the board but then I  came across Iain Rice's books about small layouts and my whole idea changed.   The look so much more realistic.
Then there's Pendon!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 11:17:12 am »

Agreed I often look at photos and videos of layouts to get ideas and inspiration, some of these guys just seem to have a knack of making their layouts look so real, I doubt I'll ever be as good as them but it's fun trying, I know what you mean about putting too much in the available space I think I made that mistake on the layout at the start of this thread, this one is having less and is more spread out and a lot more "drivable" with only 2nd, 3rd and 4th radii used even my Jubilee loco goes anywhere on the layout.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 11:19:19 am »

Apollo

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 08:43:29 pm »

Have you looked at Hornby TTS range of sound decoders? I’ve picked up 4 for my diesels ranging from £32-£40. Not fitted them yet but with them and my Zomo and SWD chips that should give most of the fleet individual sounds. There is some discussion on steam engines and how realistic they sound (I’m too young to know, hehehe) but they will at least get a few more engines running.

Mark

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 10:50:34 am »

Hi Mark,  Yes I bought one of those off E-bay a couple of weeks ago £34.95 and fitted it to my Bachmann Prairie I was a bit dubious but thought I would try one and was pleasantly surprised when I first heard it, quite a nice stationary steam sound a long piercing whistle and some toot toots then the chuffs when pulling away that matched the speed very well, for the price it's very good, however it's not loud enough and my present controller a Hornby select dose not adjust CV's so I can't increase the volume but my wife has got me a Dynamis Ultima for Christmas so I'll be able to sort the volume out then, never been that happy with the Hornby Select but I picked it up cheap I find it rather long winded having to push so many buttons to achieve a particular function, two buttons to activate a whistle and two buttons to reset it unlike the Dynamis that has one button push functions so looking forward to getting that.
Yes there are some people who knock the steam sound all I can say is my Bachmann Jubilee Kashmir with factory fitted sound is superb, crack open the throttle and it has a very realistic moving off sequence, steam rises, a short blast of the whistle and then creeps away with a slow chuff chuff  until you add more throttle,  close the throttle at speed and you get automatic break squeal just can't fault it but I guess it's a matter of opinion,  please let me know how your diesel ones sound.

Joe

Apollo

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »

I will do Joe but I’m packing everything for a house move at the moment so it will be quite a while before I’m settled and got modelling bits and bobs out. The last time I was really building anything train related the TTS was just a concept but when I noticed them on eBay a couple of weeks ago I jumped at them. 4 sound decoders for the price of a SWD one. I’ll need to check and see how many class 37’s are still needing sound. It’s been so long since I had a layout big enough to take them all I can’t remember which ones I have. Good luck with your builds and locos.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.