Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's you recommended liquid glue for styrene superstructure?  (Read 3528 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

OK folks, what's your recommended liquid polystyrene glue for building styrene card superstructure, that gives a strong long lasting joint and doesnt evaporate before it does its job? Card thickness upt to 2.5mm.

By liquid, I mean the stuff you 'paint' along a joint with a brush instead of squeezing out of a tube! Mek seems to stink and Tamiya stuff seems expensive (or maybe Im just a tight wad!).
TIA

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: What's you recommended liquid glue for styrene superstructure?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:42 pm »

Plastic Weld ( Methylene Chloride )  from an art shop. Joins by capillary action
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:39:45 pm »

Not all the 'plastic weld' type adhesives are equally good on all types of plastic. I have several of them and some are definitely better than others depending on what you want to glue. Nothing is ever simple!
Colin

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:04:48 pm »

I use a mix of Revell Contacta, the one with the 'hypodermic needle' dispenser sticking out of a blue bottle, to start off with, and then going over the joint after assembly with MekPak or Plastic Weld. The liquid glue re-energises the Contacta and makes for a pretty good joint.
Regards
Kit

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:44 pm »

I think the Mek type seem to be generally best.
Colin

RST

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:30:44 pm »

EMA, MEK-PAK, dichloromethane, MEK, etc.  There are subtle differences.  For sticking very very small parts together Revel Contacta professional any day.  Humbrol do a yellow bottle version of contacta but it's a bit lacking in my opinion.

...Otherwise liquid poly in tubes is no good at all!!

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 12:43:38 am »

EMA do a tool for applying their solvent weld, it is a glass tube with a syringe needle at on end. Fill the tube then just run the needle along the joint and by capillary action the joint is made. Have a look on EMA  web site to see how it works. If you use a brush and you get the liquid on he styrene sheet it melts and it then becomes another problem when painting.
David 
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 06:40:11 am »

I'm using Plastic Magic from Deluxe Materials with good results.

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 02:07:22 pm »

I’ve used EMA very successfully for many plastic type build projects however I have recently discovered another brand that works equally well gluing styrene and other plastic types to each other (abs to styrene)

It’s called model X pro and I would recommend that over EMA given my recent successes when using both styrene and abs materials together, it also successfully a glues 3D printed materials to abs or styrene too..

I can not recommend this product enough!

You can pick up on eBay and compretitive prices to EMA.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 06:43:24 pm »

I use dichloromethane but the trouble is it can be almost instantaneous - you need to put multiple applications if its a big join. But I like the way it grabs and you can move on to the next part quickly instead of waiitng for other adhesives to set up. I have a bottle of Humbrol and a bottle of Tamiya thin, they take far too long to become rigid for my liking.
I buy the dichloromethane in 1 litre bottles from the scientific section of ebay around 8 quid. The same stuff is sold in model shops called plastic weld, around a fiver for just 60ml.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 10:06:56 pm »

This is from an ex Plumber, go to a Plumbers Merchants and ask for the Solvent CLEANER not the Glue used on Plastic Soil and Waste Pipes. I use this all the Time, you get more for your money. Plumb Centre or Grahams etc.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Len.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 11:10:25 pm »

I will try both of these products over time. I have bought my Plastic weld from EMA in .5litre cans in batches of ten to twelve cans for about eight years now but if as good/better for cheaper then I will certainly look into these.

EMA sell a dispenser with pump action basin on top for chemicals that I have had since 1998, and it is fab. I bought a second one a few years later for home use, but it seemed to leak through the ball valve despite a careful look.
Pond weed is your enemy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 10:34:38 am »

If you are using dichloromethane (methylene chloride), especially in the large quantities some are talking about, make sure that you have very good ventilation. In laboratories it was always used in a fume cupboard with a good airflow (tested yearly) extracting either through a filter or to the outside.If you check the MSDS for the chemical it shows the usual effects of a volatile solvent and is a possible carcinogen. If you should start feeling a bit lightheaded then it is past time to get into some fresh air.MEK is also hazardous although not a known cancer risk, but again needs good ventilation.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »

I have used it for twenty odd years now and try to have a window open with draught when using it.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:59 pm »

HI  justboatonic just a few pictures of 1062 the bulk of the superstructure is made from 1mm plastic card  and glued using humbrol styrene glue. I had to fit internal bracing to give extra strength on the joints. Hope this helps . Pictures by kind permission of R Simpson

Stan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.