Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this motor suitable?  (Read 2351 times)

gt6uk

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Is this motor suitable?
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:47:17 am »

I am building the Mountfleet Ben Ain and a motor was bought as a present but i would like to make sure it is suitable. The motor is a MFA 919D 540 geared 6:1. I am not sure of the prop size but i think it will be about 60 or 70mm diameter unless anyone can tell me what size they have used on the Ben Ain. Any advice would be much appreciated as i am new to this.

Steve.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Is this motor suitable?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »

My Ben Ain is fitted with a 4 Blade 65 mm diameter prop and a Mobile Marine Models T12 Motor. I know they are slightly more expensive than other motors but as one who predominantly makes Tugs and Cargo Boats I swear by them. Bags of torque, low revs and very smooth.

John

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:49:41 pm »

I can never understand why how modellers spend a huge amount of money on buying kits or hours and hours building there own boats but then only spend a few pounds on the motors not on about this gentleman  but find it happens often  if your going to fit a motor fit one that's your not going to replace after one season as Buccaneer say  fit a Gooding I like him always fit a Mobile Marine Models T12 if it will fit I work on the reason that if am going to fit a motor then I only want to fit one once.
 I hope my rant has not upset any one.
                   Regards Howard.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:18:47 pm »

Hi Steve, I hope this is some practical advice. The Ben Ain is a largeish model, but a sedate one. I imagine that you picture it steaming gently across the pond. Whilst I totally endorse my fellow posters love of the T 12 motor, you have a perfectly good MFA motor that I know from experience is a good product. My only concern is that 6 to 1 gearing is rather high for your model, I would have chosen a lower ratio.. That said, if I were you I would install the motor, use 7.2 or 9.6 volts and see if you are happy with the performance. The motor will turn the prop without effort, just not very quickly. I think you will be happy with the result, if not come back on here and ask again, but I wouldn't go out and buy another motor until you have tried the mfa one. I'm quite an old modeler and have built many models with geared drives, but still get surprises from the efficiency of a large prop and good gearing.
Chas

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:43:53 am »

I second Chas's comments.  MFA geared motors of this type are not cheap junk but well made and efficient.

The 6:1 ratio may seem a little large but that's a big propeller you plan to use.   

I suggest that you install this motor and drive-line into the hull and give it a test run before going any further. You might be surprised and pleased with how well they work.

Glynn Guest

gt6uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 03:19:42 pm »

Thanks for all the advice. I do know that MMM motors are good as i have just finished the Lady Wooes. I would like to use the MFA as it was bought as a surprise present on the advice of a model shop so have now decided to do as you recommend and fit it and see what happens. If it is not very good i will fit a MMM motor. Thanks again.

Steve.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 05:52:25 pm »

Hello Steve

Lady Wooes is on my wish list, probably this time next year when I have finished the Amsterdam Tug. May I ask what motors you used please? The 2 x T12 suggested by MMM seems a bit of an overkill for a 40 inch boat. I was thinking about my other favourite - 2 by Mabuchi 555.

John

gt6uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 06:15:09 pm »

Hi John, i have no intention of towing competitions so i went for the cheaper option of 2 T4 motors and she performs very well. The Lady Wooes makes a beautiful very detailed tug but i was surprised how heavy she is which shows my inexperience.

Steve.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:12 pm »

Thank you Steve

Tugs are very wide for their length compared with other ships, which all adds up to quite a bit more displacement. I learnt this the hard way as well!

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.