Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Probably a daft question, but...  (Read 4229 times)

Patrick Henry

Probably a daft question, but...
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:59:25 pm »

For my Xmas present, I bought myself the new Joysway Discovery yacht...it's ideal, just a smidge bigger than a 575/590 at 610mm oal, and it fits in the back of my little car fully rigged.

Now...technical question : just how tight do I tension the all the bits of string (sheets?)that support the mast?

Rich

rmaddock

Re: Probably a daft question, but...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »

Bowsies are a simple answer. Eg: http://www.sailsetc.com/fitrig/57A.HTM

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:41:37 pm »

... no such thing as 'daft questions'.... well 'why ain't I young, rich & talented?'    IS a daft question I guess!
 O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »

Bowsies are a simple answer. Eg: http://www.sailsetc.com/fitrig/57A.HTM

It's got bowsies, what I want to know is how tight do I need to tension the sheets? Like a guitar string...slacker...much slacker?

... no such thing as 'daft questions'.... well 'why ain't I young, rich & talented?'    IS a daft question I guess!
 O0

No comment, Martin!

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:22 am »

Must have been a daft question, then... :((

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:06 am »

No, I don't think it's a daft question.  I would imagine they need to be tight enough not to move under their own volition.

I was trying to think of a tension figure but fear being shot down in flames, so I'll just suggest tuning it to a low note on the piano.  Think of that cowboy song of the Whitchitaw linesman.  (sing in the wires)   :}

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »

If you could see me now...standing alongside the yacht, humming to myself and strumming away on the lines as if it were a double bass...   %)

Cheers Ken,

Rich

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 12:19:04 pm »

The lines need to be just tight enough to be in tension when there is no wind.

Set up the lines this way, then push with your finger from one side of the mast and if the lines are right, the leeward side line should go just a little slack and the windward will become extra taught and support the mast.

I think!

%%
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Nige52

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »

Here you go Rich, get yourself ONE OF THESE

I find them extremely useful  :-))

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 10:45:50 pm »

Sorry to be boring but:  sheets pull the sails in, shrouds hold the mast up, halyards pull the sails up the mast. (don't even ask about clew- and bunt- lines!)
Must check out that yacht.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:05:07 am »

Not boring at all, chap...to my limited knowledge they are either 'strings' or 'lines', so it's nice to know the proper terminology.

Rich

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:02:02 am »

Hi just to put in my two pennorth, I try to use non-stretch string for the shrouds, either woven backing line (fishing tackle) or I use nylon covered wire.  As has been said, just tight enough to keep all in place.

Too make things look neat with bowsies I line all the bowsies up when taut at the same height, it does look better that way.
good luck Roy

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 11:35:54 am »

The shrouds (note the use of the proper terminology!) on the Discovery seem to be made of a braided material, Roy...probably not proper braided fishing line, but it does seem to be very strong.

I had a play with everything last evening, and tightened all the lines up to what I consider to be a sensible tension...we do have a yacht man in our little club, so next time we go sailing I can pick his brains and just make everything is ok.

As for lining all the bowsies up....mine are nearly in line. Nearly....

Rich

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 11:59:53 am »

Hi Rich, should you need to reinforce the corners of the sales, I do the following.  Cut out a circle of sail material or preferably sticky backed sail material.  The sail corner to the size of the reinforcement is the radius.  Then cut sectors of the circle to suit the angle of the sail corner.  A circle does several corners and they all look the same, nice and neat!

I have restored 7 model yachts over the last 5 years, so have picked up a few dodges.
regards Roy

Patrick Henry

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:12:59 pm »

That's worth remembering Roy...thanks for the tip.  Luckily my sails are ready to go, as it the Discovery itself....it does say on the box artwork that the boat can be ready to sail in ten minutes. Mine took me just fifteen minutes, and that was only because I had to file down one of the stand bars to allow it to slide into the other.

Soon as the weather becomes boating friendly I'll be out with the yacht.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.