Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch Brig "Volante"  (Read 13821 times)

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scratch Brig "Volante"
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »

G'day Glen
Thanks, Me a beginner too!
I'm an aeromodeller who usually builds in treewood, but will use anything that works, (and preferably is free). 
If the square-rigging had not proved do-able or successful I planned rig her as a ketch or schooner - seeing the paintings of the Tasmanian ketches has set me thinking......

You might like also to have a look at Barry's latest little one
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714572&highlight=fifie
This is pof construction, and Barry has a wealth of experience

andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:41 pm »

Glen - I set out on this build log to demonstate that if I can do it anyone can!

I was delighted to find lots of good people who enjoy, share and do, everyone to different levels and scale requirements, but all in a good spirit (single malt)

Now this one delights and intimidates me - but have a look at the construction:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143444&highlight=sail
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:20 pm »

Found time to make some progress towards sailing

Rigged masts and (since the photos) topmasts
Made the thingie that the boom rests on - what is it called, please experts?

In the form pictured she weighs 1.05Kg , or 2 lbs, 51/2 oz.  This isnt too important, but almost light enough to fly!

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »

Made the thingie that the boom rests on - what is it called, please experts?

Andrew,

Its called a "boom gallows"

Superb job you are doing  O0

Don B

( also an ex aeromodeller but converted to boats especially sail )
 http://freespace.virgin.net/donald.brown1/boats/ )

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 11:50:53 am »

Don,

Thanks for your encouragement, and thanks for a view of your models - you are clearly happy to give any type a try and make a success of it too!

My original intention in posting was to encourage others and show its all do-able, especially with assistance and cheering from the touchlines ;D

I have now got topmasts rigged, and am proceeding with t'gallant masts, but life, family and the need to race Footys are intervening a bit.

Boom gallows?  sounds like something which suspends from above.  But anyway I'm almost ready to rig the spanker, etc.  then its Champagne time.
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 02:12:35 pm »

Sorry about ther delay and YIPPEE

Finally got Volante on the water under her own sail power last Saturday - too late for the Mayhem event

Almost flat calm, but in retrospect this was probably wise - especially since I had performed a quick and dirty running rig at the lakeside!

So you will see that the brig exhibits irish pennants, sticky tape (although I call it polymorphic laminar adhesive lashing band) and some chewing gum and baling wire.  All the sails were set at the bank with fixed sheets.

She drifted majestically downwind , and showed signs of broad-reaching well. 

I got a lot of pictures and enormous pleasure

Selection of pics attached, more available, and larger
andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 02:14:29 pm »

That's a fine looking ship on the water, congratulations Andrew.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 06:15:49 pm »

Glen,  thanks,  i'm grinning right round the face and inside, too

I'm perfectly certain yours will give you the same glow - how goes she?

Didya get "capped" or whatever antipodean teachers get?

andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 11:26:32 pm »

Aaaah - the warm glow of a successful build. Enjoy it. It takes such a long time to get there, but it's what keeps most of us going I suppose.

I've put my ketch aside while I do a long overdue major repair to a broads cruiser I made last year. See here for this ongoing saga:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8219.0

Nice to be back in the familiar world of motorised models, but will get back to that second planking before long.

haven't finished my teaching ````course yet - I've got two more weeks in my school placement then I'm done. Then I should have more time for boat building (and sailing too!). Can't wait! 

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 01:31:52 pm »

Glen,

I had an elegant reply written, but it escaped into the ether when I attached too large a scan

Basically it sed:  Isn't it curious that  a conventional cruiser like Clementine  (is she made of herring boxes; without topses?)
should give you grief, and I'm willling to bet that Lialeelta will sail like a piece of trouble-free swansdown ;D

Clementine - I gather that you're working on the solution - in which case ignore the following.

I'm not an expert powerboatie, but it seems to me from your pics that:

Prop is small compared with thickness of keel
You could try a larger diameter prop - it would get a better grip on fresh water without keel interference
Bigger diameter would also reduce speed and (might) reduce  the sucking in of surface air that might be a factor
Reduce pitch if necessary to keep amps under control
You should try to give the prop more free space between keel TE and rudder
Even if you have epoxied the proptube in place, you might be able to pull out the tail bearing, shorten the tube and press it back!
But I would suggest just cutting back the keel woodwork to give the prop some clearance - one prop diameter (1D) if possible
Sketch attached
If you are sorted  - ignore all the above ;D

andrew

Glen Howard

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 03:00:59 am »

Thanks Andrew, certainly appreciate you going to so much trouble! I won't tie up your blog, see my updated response at the above location.

Glen

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2008, 02:59:25 pm »

Enjoyed your little brig. You've done a good job. Can I suggest you try sailing her with the crowjack removed or at least stowed you might find she will go to the Windward better.
 Brigs (British) almost never set a sail on the crowjack yard as it tended to blanket the forecourse on most points of sailing and wasn't worth the hassle.
  O0You also might like making the topsail and t'gallant yards slide up and down their respective masts, this will allow you to shorten sail quickly and so sail in stronger winds by lowering the yards down to the caps & furling them with a light line or even a pipe cleaner. that the systime I use on all of my square riggers and I regularly sail in force 4s  5s & even been known to sail close reefed in a force 6... That's a bit Dicey.
FREEBOOTER
  Jimmy James
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 01:13:31 pm »

Jimmy,

Thanks very much for your kind comment and advice.

Honesty compels me to admit that I have not sailed her under sail control yet, and the photos were taken on her first outing under sail  in almost flat calm with only a shallow sailing keel. 

I have taken note of what you say on the sails, and know about the maincourse or crowjack.  All the sails can be removed or replaced very swiftly as they are retained by a removable jackstay through 3 eyes.

Progress report:  I have:
Dried out and serviced my racing footys (but some work to do)
Cleaned and vacuumed the workshop (serious)
Written my list of tasks
Made and fitted the deep sailing keel - see pic

OTOH - I have to:
finish a bespoke trent lifeboat - I have been REMINDED
Finish a Higgins Hellcat

andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »

Now where was I?

This is my year of finishing everything and having it all ready to sail/fly/whatever at any time

So Volante moves forward - I have fitted the two sail winches

and to begin with I will be running all the sheeting above deck level while Volante and I learn about each other :}

I will fit bentinck booms this week, and try square sailing with one set of braces to each mast (the rest of the sails on that mast following as best they can)

6-channel radio is on the way from Hong Kong to me - I am trying to think through how to arrange the controls and what the andrew-thumbs have to learn to do when tacking and wearing!
more as it happens-
andrew

Brooks

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 02:48:25 pm »

Hi Andrew. Will you be sailing Volante this spring, I hope? Love to see some photos, and even maybe video :-)

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »

Brooks

I think my conscience has atrophied (use it or lose it) but you are always there to help keep my head into the wind.  Thank you.

2009 was my "year of finishing things".  Did I?  Yes, made a lot of headway with dangling projects and cleared a lot of dross off my "To do" list.
2010 was house decorating and GCSE support mode

This year I have already disposed of everything which is not necessary and will sail Volante.
I swear I promise I really will :}

I notice that Dreadnought has also awoken and made progress on his distinctive Racundra, and ANY DAY I hope to see TT resume bodging Louise Heloise :}

andrew
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.