Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting and Finishing advice  (Read 2652 times)

AussieBen

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Painting and Finishing advice
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:10:45 am »

Hi Boat builders! I am planning to scratch build my first RC Yacht from ply with a strip balsa top deck finish (for looks) I am planning to use thinned z-poxy finishing resin inside and outside the hull and on the top deck, the hull I plan to paint. I was just wondering, can I paint directly on to the z-poxy or does it need a primer? and once painted can the z-poxy be used as a final coat on the paint again or should something else be used. Thanks!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Painting and Finishing advice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:41:30 am »

Welcome to MBM Ben.......you will find many great builders references here......however just a few questions firstly

RC yacht...broad variety......do you have a design type?...scale or displacement?
Plans can be considered essential for a 1st build....& subsequent builds
Balsa wood is a light wood but very soft ......plans will often recommend the type of wooden planking required
Z-Poxy when thinned is an excellent method of reaching & penetrating internals of timber builds
You must really check their specifications for the concept of painting over Z-Poxy  >>:-(

An Australian Company called Float a Boat in Victoria have an informative WEB site...[good people to deal with]...they have every conceivable requirement for a model yacht build .....from plans to wood to Z-Poxy .....[no association....just a very happy customer of FaB]

http://www.floataboat.com.au/products.htm

Spend some time in research  it will pay dividends O0

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

AussieBen

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:26:55 am »

Hi Derek! thanks for taking the time to reply. Sorry I should have provided more info, the boat I am building is called a "Wee Nip" its the original single sail design (not the Wee Nip II). The Hull, keel, rudder and internals are all 1.5mm Ply wood (shaped 6mm for the Keel and Rudder). The strip panel on the top deck is not actually called for in the plans, I was just wanting to make it look a little nicer I guess. It was inspired by an old thread I found on another forum actually. https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t887-wee-nip-build

Wanting to do something very similar to this.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:23:17 am »

OK Ben......you are using a plan which is good :-))

That herringbone deck planking [hard wood] in the model [from the link] looks very nice......take inspiration from that build
Research that Z-Poxy application data %)

Good luck....& come back with a few images of your progress when you get the chance

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 12:45:56 pm »

I have painted onto Z-poxy resin on several models with no ill effects. Never tried putting it on over paint just left the paint finish or varnished.
Don't Assume Check

AussieBen

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:17:16 am »

Thanks
dougal99!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.