Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Charging  (Read 1859 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Battery Charging
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:56:57 pm »

Hello,

I am just a tad green, so a very simple question, I have two 6v batteries to charge, the first will finish at 11.00pm tonight, but probably by then I will be in bed. Can I stop it at say 8pm, start the second, run that until 11.00am tomorrow, then put the first one back on for the last three hours. Will it make any difference?
Like I say just a tad green.

Colin
Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Battery Charging
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:03:06 pm »

These are presumably lead acid batteries ? :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:12:25 pm »

If they are lead acid, and you have a decent charger, then the charger should wind down to a trickle charge when the battery is 'full', meaning you can leave it on all night. You need to check the specification of the charger before doing this though, as not all of them revert to trickle charge.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Telstar

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 01:26:24 pm »

Hi
  Ian (boatmadman) is dead right, good chargers for lead acid/gelpack batteries have built in a voltage monitoring circuit which follows the characteristics of a lead acid cell, and when it is fully charged changes to 'trickle' charge. These also have the advantage, if you have only partially discharged the battery, it automatically reduces the charge period. O0
Word of caution these chargers (automatic lead acid chargers) must not be used for nickle cadmium or hydride batteries. :embarrassed:.

Cheers Tom

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 01:52:52 pm »

The two previous posters are correct.  For those inexperienced ( and probably the rest of us) a dedicated SLA charger is the best way to go. 
Charging can be split within reason (i.e. no leaving it several months between part charges) without problems.
If you want to make sure a charge stops at a set time, I have found packs of three plug-in mains timeswitches at about a fiver a pack.  These will switch off a a set time.  The downside is that you have to remember to disconnect before they switch back on 24 hours later, and give you another charge sequence, which might not be beneficial.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.