Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slip rings  (Read 4817 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Slip rings
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:18:39 pm »

I have a Mtroniks Vision 600 motor with removable slip rings.
How do I remove the slip rings ?  :-\  :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: Slip rings
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »

Richard,

I cant find any reference to "removable" slip rings on your particuar motor either on the Mtroniks website or Goggle for that matter.
I'm assuming that you've got this info about the slip rings off the packaging or an advert somewhere.

Any more information available ?

Terry.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 07:49:17 pm »

Terry its on the packaging. It says to leave the slip rings in for more torque and remove them for more speed, unfortunately thats all it says. ???

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:51:07 pm »

This sounds like the metal rings around the outside of the case. Also called 'flux rings'. ;D
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:58:19 pm »

Thats what I was wondering but being a dunce where electrics are concerned I could not see how removing them could give more speed. :embarrassed:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »

Hi Dicky

Found this for you.

Slip ring
                 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A slip ring (in electrical engineering terms) is a method of making an electrical connection through a rotating assembly. Slip rings, also called rotary electrical interfaces, rotating electrical connectors, collectors, swivels or electrical rotary joints, are commonly found in electrical generators for AC systems and alternators and in packaging machinery, cable reels, wind turbines.

A slip ring consists of a conductive circle or band mounted on a shaft and insulated from it. Electrical connections from the rotating part of the system, such as the rotor of a generator, are made to the ring. Fixed contacts or brushes run in contact with the ring, transferring electrical power or signals to the exterior, static part of the system.

This system is similar to the brushes and commutator found in many types of DC motors. While commutators are segmented, slip rings are continuous, and the terms are not to be used interchangeably. Slip rings can also be used where electrical power or signals need to be transferred to a rotating device, such as an aerodrome beacon, rotating tank, or radio telescope. Rotary transformers are often used instead of slip rings in high speed or low friction environments.

Mercury wetted slip rings, noted for their low resistance and stable connection use a different principle which replaces the sliding brush contact with a pool of liquid metal molecularly bonded to the contacts. During rotation the liquid metal maintains the electrical connection between the stationary and rotating contacts.

Well, you did ask

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:02:14 pm »

I tend to agree with gribeaval on this one Richard. Are they actually fixed or just held in position by the magnets inside the can ?

If you get no joy then an email to Mtroniks probably would be the easiest answer.

Terry.

Bluebird v2

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »

Dicky, the slip ring is the ring around the outer casing of the motor.   In layman's terms, it keeps the magnetic field under control (to you and me) take that away, you tend to get more power, but, you will possibly get more electical interference i.e. more glitching.    Ive played around with this and, to be honest, you cant see much difference with them on and with them off.

aye
john e
bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:07:07 pm »

Hi Dicky

Found this for you.

Cheers...Ken

Cheers Ken, what language was that exactly  ? :-\

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:11:11 pm »

Dicky, the slip ring is the ring around the outer casing of the motor.   In layman's terms, it keeps the magnetic field under control (to you and me) take that away, you tend to get more power, but, you will possibly get more electical interference i.e. more glitching.    Ive played around with this and, to be honest, you cant see much difference with them on and with them off.

aye
john e
bluebird
Cheers John, dont know why I didnt just phone and ask you. Named that ship yet ? ???

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:19:41 pm »

Richard,

I have taken the slip rings off several types of motors and have found no noticeable increase in power or interference...........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Telstar

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:42:15 pm »

Hi   In electrical engineering a slip ring is exactly what Tug Kenny’s explanation states.
What you described sounds like some form of magnetic shunt.
In dc electric motors to get good torque, to turn large props , you need a strong magnetic field and/or plenty of armature current. This has the disadvantage in as much that a strong magnetic field generates more back emf , which means the motor turns slower , less rpm.
On motors with wound field coils ie electromagnets for field, it was common practice to reduce the field current (hence the magnetic field ) to give some speed control  but motors were always started with maximum field to give high starting torque.
For a given load ie a given prop , removing these “rings” should give higher rpm but will take more current.
Dependant upon how effective these are the overall effect could be marginal. Since the overall power supplied by the motor  (output power =torque x rpm) (input power =volt x amps) will be essentially the same

Sorry to be a bit technical, hope I have shed some light on the subject
Cheers Tom

What you described sounds like some form of magnetic shunt.
In dc electric motors to get good torque, to turn large props , you need a strong magnetic field and/or plenty of armature current. This has the disadvantage in as much that a strong magnetic field generates more back emf , which means the motor turns slower , less rpm.
On motors with wound field coils ie electromagnets for field, it was common practice to reduce the field current (hence the magnetic field ) to give some speed control  but motors were always started with maximum field to give high starting torque.
For a given load ie a given prop , removing these “rings” should give higher rpm but will take more current.
Dependant upon how effective these are the overall effect could be marginal. Since the overall power supplied by the motor  (output power =torque x rpm) (input power =volt x amps) will be essentially the same

Sorry to be a bit technical, hope I have shed some light on the subject
Cheers Tom

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 09:24:58 am »

Thanks Tom
I know I am a bit ignorant where electrics are concerned but I am not deaf. You only need to explain it once not twice. ;D ;D

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:02:53 pm »

Sounds like the packaging writer got it wrong.
Unless you are demanding performance to the limit of the motor, either RPM or torque, the presence or absence of the flux ring will make little noticeable difference.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Telstar

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 12:15:04 pm »

Hi Sorry !! just shows I'm useless with computers, click the wrong thing and we have Mayhem ;D
sorry once again
Tom

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 05:01:57 pm »

These motors look suspiciously like the Johnson 600 motors which have been so roundly condemned as power hungry monsters  by many people on the forum - in fact the mtroniks website does say that they are Johnson "slip -ring" motors !!!  ( Rebadged of course  ???)

Don B.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 05:51:39 pm »

I spoke to mtroniks today on another matter and they said there web site was about to be up graded ,as it has not been touched for a long time . and if you look at there list of model shops in "agents" some have been gone for a long long time.

Peter

Er..... why is the spell check not working HELP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.