Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frame Question  (Read 1785 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Frame Question
« on: August 18, 2018, 11:06:14 am »

I'm working on the drawings for my Fairey Fisherman motor sailer and am wondering about the frames towards the stern.

The hull is based on a ships life boat design (hence why I'm asking in here) with a rounded stern.

What I'm pondering is whether to have the frames at the stern at right angles to the keel or have the last one or two frames at right angles to the hull skin i.e. at an angle to the keel? I realise this requires more work in shaping and gluing to the keel but I won't have to angle the outside and inside (to suit the cockpit) of the frames at what is quite an angle.

Having said this I suppose I could have the hull stringers sitting proud of the frames so that I don't have to sand them to an angle?

Would appreciate what folks think and have done.

Model is being built at 1:12 so 27" long. 

Photo attached, sorry about the poor quality.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Frame Question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:16:42 pm »

Have this problem on wooden fishing boats. The frames follow the curve of the hull ie at right angles. I believe they are called "Cant" frames. nemesis

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:44:04 pm »

That's correct Nemesis GENERALLY but sometimes the other way is used. Yer pays yer money etc. O/T

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 10:44:38 pm »

Well having done some more work on the drawings for the life boat/leisure boat/yacht I've decided to go with the angled/cant frames. I'm happier and more confident of getting the angles and curves of the hull correct when working at right angles having no lines to work to apart from one cross-section.

I know this will potentially involve more work with setting out and construction etc. but it will be part of the fun. Also it will be a slower paced (if that is possible!) and longer term build than the other Faireys I'm building.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.