Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Design your own crew man/woman for 3D printing, with Make Human and Blender.  (Read 1655 times)

Pembroke sailor

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

I've been looking for crewmen to put aboard my 1/16th tugboat. I am learning 3D printing, so it seemed like a good way to go. After a lot of searching, I could only download and print two suitable free figures.

My research led me to a free program called "Make Human". It is available under the GNU General Public License. Look it up on Wikipedia for more details. The figures are quite limited, but I am sure that I will find more options that are available as add-ons. Generally, you design the figures with easy-to-use sliders, or select items from lists.

I have attached a picture of my first effort. He will be 3D printed in a single colour of plastic and painted, so I am not concerned about what the colours are on the figure. You may notice that my figure has hands like mittens because fingers would be too fine to print at 1/16th scale. You can select this style from the "materials" menu under "topology". Select "proxy 741". It is the lowest choice on my computer.

You are offered a choice to export the figure as a ".stl" file, but on my computer the files were corrupted. Instead export the file as "Colleda" file, import it into "Blender", then export it as a ".stl" file. I'm happy to share how I do that in a future post if people want to know. Or perhaps someone else has already got an easy way to do it.

***Small text now enlarged to normal size***

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

The little text font expanded................. %)

You are offered a choice to export the figure as a ".stl" file, but on my computer the files were corrupted. Instead export the file as "Colleda" file, import it into "Blender", then export it as a ".stl" file. I'm happy to share how I do that in a future post if people want to know. Or perhaps someone else has already got an easy way to do it.
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grendel

• Full Mayhemer

I too have used this program to make a 1/12 scale figure of  a reasonable likeness to the owner of the boat my model is based upon, I too had problems with the stl file, but used an online service that allows you to fix your stl files (3 free fixes a month) to get it to print. I could always import the stl into CAD and fix it there, then re-export as stl.
I will dig out the name of the online website when I get onto the right computer.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer

right, on the correct computer now - https://makeprintable.com is the place that you can fix your stl models, you can sign up for the free version (3 files a month)

Pembroke sailor

• Shipmate

Thank you grendel for your reply. I will try that online repair service. Blender is very complicated.

Pembroke sailor

• Shipmate

I didn't think at first about sharing my figure.

I have attached a picture.Please PM me iIf anyone wants the .stl file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.