Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Sanding Sealer?  (Read 2889 times)

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Which Sanding Sealer?
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:58:49 pm »

OK, back in action now. Have got almost 50% through the build of my Mowe 2 boat.

I see there is a CELLULOSE SANDING SEALER on Ebay. Can I use this to sand down the hull on the outside? I would also appreciate any advice on which filler I should use........Thanks guys.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Which Sanding Sealer?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 12:06:23 am »

I used to use aircraft dope and talc on my balsa models. gave a beautiful finish.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:03:03 pm »

Has anybody had any experience with DELUXE MATERIALS products?

I see they offer fillers, glassfibre and a product called EZE-COTE.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:10:46 pm »

A further question.
Are there any material/paint conflicts with some types of sanding sealers?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:55:39 pm »

I dont know about any conflicts. As a newbie I think its best to stick with one brand from start to finish. I'm sure there are folk on this forum who know the right answer to that.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:56:49 pm »

Have you considered finishing the ply model with epoxy (or equivalent)  & a lightweight cloth. This has the advantage of increasing strength & eliminating any leaks.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 04:27:50 pm »

Hello tug fanatic. I've been considering using EZE-COTE with maybe a 1oz fibreglass cloth. I asked them (Deluxe Materials) about using their products on a boat and they recommended

www.alwayshobbies.com/materials/glues-and-fillers/deluxe-materials-aeropoxy
[/size]
[/size]which is pretty expensive. I'm not sure if its worth it.Dont understand why cant use Eze-Coat with light fibreglass to waterproof the hull. Maybe because its cheaper. {-)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 04:58:19 pm »

That price is for a 300gm pack. How much do you need?

A 4oz pack of z-poxy if it is enough:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZAP-Z-Poxy-Epoxy-Finishing-Resin-Total-118ml-PT-41/362384650638?epid=1737459153&hash=item545fcef18e:g:GOoAAOSwUq9bSHKy

A search here will yield lots of alternatives from acrylic floor varnish on.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 05:03:00 pm »

A 'Satin' finish laquer will work as sanding sealer, it has a media like talc suspended in the mix.

The brand I use here is DEFT.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:01:58 pm »

Keeping it simple, any cellulose sanding sealer will be fine for sealing and grain filling the hull. It is quick drying (20 minutes or so), which allows for fast re-coats. I would suggest sanding between coats to cut down the fibres in the timber, which will become noticeable. Three or four coats will be ample. You can then overcoat with any preferred primer, finishing with a top coat of your choice. I have yet to encounter anything which racts with a cellulose base coat, so you should be fine.
Making it complicated, I have used shellac sanding sealer before, very good, but a far slower drying time (about 45 to 60 minutes), and it does require methylated spirits to clean the brushes.
I have also added talc to cellulose dope, this works, but limit it to about a teaspoon in 250ml, or it all gets a bit thick!
I have recently been using epoxy laminating resin, either with microballoons as an additive for sanding down (like laying on thick varnish, much sanding required to get a smooth finish), and with glassfibre woven cloth (very good for sealing everything to a tough finish on a foam model).
Of all the above, the top one is the easiest option, and for a newly built hull, probably the best option.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:32 pm »

Thanks guys. As far as the sanding sealer thats plenty of info for me to digest. I really appreciate the help on this forum. Wi;; keep you guys posted on how this newbie progresses.

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:24 pm »

Right as a car sprayer and I know a thing about paints methinks....I have never used sanding sealer I always use Halfords car laquer ...couple of coats sand down and again and again then simply use some high build primer and voila a super smooth finish......you can then top coat with Halfords paint or any other paint that you care to use and no chance of a reaction

Dave

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:01 pm »

I also wanted to ask..................should I fill in any gaps first before using cellulose sanding sealer? Any filler recommended?

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:10 am »

I've built a lot of boats in the last 50 years, and unless you're finishing balsa, follow Stavros advice. It always works for me, it's simple, easy and gives a great finish. Sanding sealer works,  but is unnecessary with ply, as long as you follow his method. I haven't used it for any of the last 30 or so models.
Chas

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 10:24:33 am »

Blimey, this 'my way or the highway' thing can get tiresome at times. I would hope that any car would NOT require sanding sealer before painting!
There are many products available to produce a defined finish, sanding sealer has its use as a sealer, for sanding..does what it says on the tin sort of thing. Over the last thirty six years of boat modelling, man and boy (!), I have tried many products. Those that don't work, I don't use. Those that have worked, I can recommend. It is nice to have a broad range of product I can call upon to do a specific job, based on years of experience, as we like to say!
Anyway, the post subject is 'Which Sanding Sealer?' so I hope I helped...

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »

I would like to point out a couple of things.
Firstly, I don't see the "my way or the highway" thing anywhere.
Secondly, Stavros only contributed because I asked him to. He is knowledgeable about potential materials conflicts. He also pointed out an alternative way forward to using sanding sealer. Backed up by another member who suggests that unless you are using balsa, sanding sealer is not the only way to achieve what you want. To my mind this is relevant.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:59 pm »

ubuiltnautilus

Over many years I too have found ways of doing things but I have also come to recognise that beginners often don't know how to phrase the question that they are asking. I thought it possible that the poster had read about "finishing" and that the article/book/web page had talked about "sanding sealer", probably with regard to a balsa model, and he thus asked here for help with regard to sanding sealer. I naively thought that a suggestion of an alternative, and perhaps better, method of finishing might be helpful.

PS I bow to your knowledge of Sanding Sealer which I have not used in 50 years since I built a Keil Kraft Phantom control lime model aeroplane..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 02:48:54 pm »

I stand roundly reprimanded and apologise if I offended.
One point of note, sanding sealer is widely use in woodworking crafts, not just for balsa wood. The Mowe 2 is, I believe a combination of ply and mahogany sheet (?), which would benefit greatly from a decent hard sealer before painting. After sealing, proceed with top coats using methods covered in depth elsewhere by members such as Stavros and others.

supaboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 10:10:43 pm »

Just for clarity, the Mowe 2 is plywood,balsa wood and something called A-TEX. Anybody know about that? It has a balsa wood finish on one side and some sort of woven material on the inside and is extremely flexible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.