Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer Advice  (Read 3104 times)

gt6uk

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mixer Advice
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:27:16 am »

I have recently finished the Lady Wooes and found the steering was not very good so decided to fit two speed controllers and a mixer. I have fitted two mtronics viper 15 speed controllers with an Action P40e mixer which would not work correctly. I spoke to Action and returned the mixer for them to check it. They have just informed me that it will not work with Viper speed controllers despite telling me they would when i bought it. Can anyone recommend a mixer that will work with these speed contollers? I am new to this hobby and still trying to learn so any advice would be appreciated.

Steve.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mixer Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:39:00 am »

The Viper 15s have a problem with mixers. They have only a limited throttle range on normal stick movement, then they go beyond that and stop. This is not usually an issue with normal stick travel, but with a mixer you are forcing the controls beyond their normal range of travel at the extremes. This manifests itself as strange or no input at maximum deflection, such as full astern and full left or right. At this point either the speed control will stop completely or will start behaving oddly. The Mtronics Tio range have eliminated this problem and are fine with mixers, but the Vipers still have this issue hardwired into their chips.
The easiest fix is either a mixer where you can reduce the differential to say 50% instead of 100%, or set them up with the dual rate setting fitted to some transmitters, and dial that back. The only problem is that you need to set the speed controllers end points BEFORE doing any of this, otherwise, by setting the endpoints, you undo any gains as the Vipers now think that the reduced travel range is their normal full range..all very complicated.
Best bet, a couple of Tio 15s or anybody elses equivalents, plus that Action Mixer!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

gt6uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:17 am »

Thank you so much for the advice. It looks like the best way to go would be the Action P-94, at least then every thing is compatible. It looks like i will have to try tank steering for the moment and save for the P-94. Thanks again.

Steve.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:49:41 pm »

Hi Steve,
you are using 2 esc,s so why not try left motor on left stick right motor on right stick
Forward on the left stick ,reverse on the right stick wil have it
Turning right in its own length, and at no cost of a mixer. I use this method on my tugs.
Some tx,s have mixer capability, what system are you using

John

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 03:19:11 pm »

you are using 2 esc,s so why not try left motor on left stick right motor on right stick
Tank Steering as in last post by Steve

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

gt6uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:28:02 pm »

Hi John, thats what i am going to try but was advised against it by members of my local boat club. They tell me its far to difficult to control the boat but for £80 i am going to give it ago this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Steve.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 04:04:51 pm »

gt6uk,

what transmitter brand/model are you using?

Mike Fry

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 04:38:07 pm »

Hello Gt6uk.

Mr RCworld  £16.99 works perfect with two 20amp vipers.

gt6uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 04:57:27 pm »

Hi, i am using a Ikonnik KA6 radio. I will have a look at the Mr RC world mixer. Many thanks.

Steve.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 06:24:02 pm »

A bit off this topic.  I have a similar problem.  Mtronics M10 ESC. Spectrum DX8e TX.  Motor cuts off at 105% forward throttle under Servo Adjust.  No problem going up to 150% astern.  I tried new M25 ESC, same problem. 

I had the same problem on this boat when I was using my old DX6 TX.

HELP.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 09:17:57 pm »

A bit off this topic.  I have a similar problem.  Mtronics M10 ESC. Spectrum DX8e TX.  Motor cuts off at 105% forward throttle under Servo Adjust.  No problem going up to 150% astern.  I tried new M25 ESC, same problem. 

I had the same problem on this boat when I was using my old DX6 TX.

HELP.
Same answer as in reply #1.  The programming in the ESC does not like over length pulses.  It doesn't care where they come from, so it is largely a case of ensuring that nothing is programmed to give over length pulses.  In reality, there is no sense trying to make a motor go faster than full speed.  Once the ESC has its instruction to give 100% power, it is fully switched on, and there is simply nothing more to give.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 11:31:04 pm »

gt6uk,
        Before spending money on a "mixer" it might be worth checking if your transmitter can do the mixing for you?
Glynn Guest

gt6uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:11 am »

Thanks for all the advice. Yesterday i sailed using tank steering and although i need lots more practice i really enjoyed the experience, so i will not now bother with a mixer. If i had tried this in the first place i could have saved myself a lot of hassle.

Steve.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 10:29:11 am »

Yes, good to learn the principles / basics first, you can always upgrade later.  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 10:36:43 am »

Thanks for all the advice. Yesterday i sailed using tank steering and although i need lots more practice i really enjoyed the experience, so i will not now bother with a mixer. If i had tried this in the first place i could have saved myself a lot of hassle.

Steve.

You will soon get the hang of it Steve, practice is the key as you say.
Glad you enjoyed the challenge of two sticks,( good in,t it).

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.