Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first R/C build - A submarine  (Read 3199 times)

SWEnick

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My first R/C build - A submarine
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:49:26 pm »

Hello everyone!

So, I stumbled upon John Dutton on the World Wild Internetz and instantly enjoyed what I saw. Very interesting stuff and obviously I would like, and learn to build my own R/C submarine. I do have some tools that I think could come in handy and I am a mechanical engineer by trade, so hopefully some of that experience will come in handy also.

I have played (and broken) R/C cars in my younger days, but never built anything R/C from the ground up and this will be a great learning experience, and I appreciate all the help I can get from all the veteran modelers here.

I will summarize my thoughts about this build, and I will gladly listen to your suggestions and advice.

* I have my own 3D printer, and thought I would use it for this project, so all the parts that can be printer, will be  printed. I was thinking that this could include the hull as well. The base on my 3D printer allows for prints  the size 400x400x300(? Not quite sure about the height 300) mm.
Obviously the hull will be printed in sections.

* It would be cool with a submarine that has "tower diving planes" and an X-form rudder. However I am not quite sure as to control them properly. Any suggestions? How does the kits like the German 212A solve that? Do they have 4 servos, one for each rudder, or 2 servos that somehow control all 4 rudders individually (one for x-motion and one for y-motion)?

* I have done a fair amount of google-ing and understood the basic mechanics and process behind the build i.e that I will need a WTC, servos (how many?), water pump(s?), power unit/batteries, motor, transmitter and receiver. I realize there are a number of things needed that I haven't mentioned.

* Electronics and control. John mentioned using Arduino in his submarines to automate different features and abilities. I have recently started playing the Arduino in another project and I would like to have some of those nifty features John has in his subs.

Those are my thoughts at the moment.

I am open for all suggestions and advice. (Be gentle, I'm a noob =) )

Best Regards!

Nick

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first R/C build - A submarine
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 07:57:23 am »

Hi Nick
Welcome to the world of Submarines.

Have a look at The Association of Model Submariners form ( www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com ) it is a good place to find out the answers to the questions that you will have, just remember that the only stupid question is the one that you did not ask.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

SWEnick

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:48:12 am »

Thank you! I am quite looking forward to this project. At the same time it feels daunting and ambitious. Maybe a bit to ambitious :o

I will have a look through the forum. Thank you.   

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 01:41:34 pm »

Nick,
As far as being too ambitious, I recommend keep it simple to begin with. I have seen too many first timers say "I want working torpedoes, my antenna and masts to raise and lower, oh and radar to turn and......" Remember just getting a sub to dive AND surface at your command is an accomplishment. Adding the laundry list of add-ons only adds to the frustration. I was mentored with the statement "crawl, walk, run". You will get through this one day at a time. Problems or issues can be overcome.
I guess a similar statement can be compared to R/C airplanes, when a beginner says they want to build a jet with flaps, lights, retractable landing gear, and be able to drop bombs. When really a person needs to learn to fly first. Saying this I have seen the rare person that has the skills to take on a difficult challenge and see it through. Only you know your determination and skill set.
Look up various builds posted already. The more you learn the more you are prepared. Finding someone that builds r/c subs in your area is helpful. Short of that post your build here. The answers to your questions and help are just a post away. There are several excellent R/C submarine specific web sites where that is all they do that you can get more information.
Building from scratch adds to the complexity especially if you never worked with those materials. 3D printing is being used, but still has its own set of needs to be used in an r/c sub.
The bottom line is have fun. It is a great adventure you are on. This is the best hobby I have done in the R/C realm.
Peace,
 Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:42:17 pm »

Hi Nick

It says that you are in the SWE, is that South West England?

when you go onto the AMS forum which you can join at any time, have a look and ask Nigel Admin2 about the workings of the X tail, as I think he had a 212A,
All the members on the forum have most of the answers that you need or theyt can put you onto some one that may be of help.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

SWEnick

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 08:28:14 pm »

Nick,
As far as being too ambitious, I recommend keep it simple to begin with. I have seen too many first timers say "I want working torpedoes, my antenna and masts to raise and lower, oh and radar to turn and......" Remember just getting a sub to dive AND surface at your command is an accomplishment. Adding the laundry list of add-ons only adds to the frustration. I was mentored with the statement "crawl, walk, run". You will get through this one day at a time. Problems or issues can be overcome.
I guess a similar statement can be compared to R/C airplanes, when a beginner says they want to build a jet with flaps, lights, retractable landing gear, and be able to drop bombs. When really a person needs to learn to fly first. Saying this I have seen the rare person that has the skills to take on a difficult challenge and see it through. Only you know your determination and skill set.
Look up various builds posted already. The more you learn the more you are prepared. Finding someone that builds r/c subs in your area is helpful. Short of that post your build here. The answers to your questions and help are just a post away. There are several excellent R/C submarine specific web sites where that is all they do that you can get more information.
Building from scratch adds to the complexity especially if you never worked with those materials. 3D printing is being used, but still has its own set of needs to be used in an r/c sub.
The bottom line is have fun. It is a great adventure you are on. This is the best hobby I have done in the R/C realm.
Peace,
 Tom

Hi!
No, I'll skip the torpedoes, the masts and the rotating extras for a later time. I do however want the X rudders and the tower planes, and preferably an Srduino to control it all nicely, but I'll get to that stage eventually. Do you mean that 3D printing i still in it's infancy in the model building/R/C community?

BR Nick

SWEnick

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:33:38 pm »

Hi Nick

It says that you are in the SWE, is that South West England?

when you go onto the AMS forum which you can join at any time, have a look and ask Nigel Admin2 about the workings of the X tail, as I think he had a 212A,
All the members on the forum have most of the answers that you need or theyt can put you onto some one that may be of help.

Fred

Hi Fred!

Great stuff! I'll do that and ask for Nigel. No, SWE is short for Sweden, (like ENG usually is short for England. But, I  didn't realize it was short for South West England. Maybe I should fix that  :embarrassed:  )

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 10:01:22 pm »

Is 3D in its infancy, well it depends on how long it should be used before it is not called infancy. I know there is a company out there selling 3D Submarine kits. I have not seen any myself nor any reports from those running one. The 3D I have used in my subs, I sealed, sanded, then cast in resin the parts I needed. Bob from Nautilus Dry-docks uses 3D printing inside the subs he builds and may be better to ask what he uses and how it works for him. I never obtained a water tight seal, so any end caps I needed to make not using 3D directly. The filament will make a difference, PLA will deteriorate in UV light. Nylon may swell a little in water (how long? I do not know I have not tested it - it is a quality, listed when you buy nylon, that it may absorb moisture).
I have two subs that use X tail. LOVE THEM! The HNLMS Walrus and HSwMS Sjoormen.
It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and have thought this through.
So what sub do you want to build?

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

SWEnick

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:47 pm »

Ah! The water absorbtion! I actually fotgot about that. Good point. I might have to rethink a few things before the first dip.

Cool! Being a Swede, I am aware the Sjöormen-class submarines. If I remember corectly (before googeling) they now reside in Singapore yes?.... *googeling*... yes  :embarrassed: .

I haven't decided on what sub to build yet. I figured that is the easy part and I like to get the tricky stuff sorted first.

BR
Nick

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 05:25:50 am »

SWEnick,

If you have your heart set on an X-tail, then i can recommend only one course of action.  it is expensive, but this particular sub has had many positive reviews:

http://engel-modellbau.eu/shop/en/Submarine-Kits/Type-212A/212A-Model-Submarine-SET.html

buy the kit, build it, use email with the manufacturer, forums like this one, the association of model subs, and subcommittee to answer questions.

only after successfully building something you know SHOULD work would i start making my own scratch built anything.

SWEnick

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 06:01:25 am »

SWEnick,

If you have your heart set on an X-tail, then i can recommend only one course of action.  it is expensive, but this particular sub has had many positive reviews:

http://engel-modellbau.eu/shop/en/Submarine-Kits/Type-212A/212A-Model-Submarine-SET.html

buy the kit, build it, use email with the manufacturer, forums like this one, the association of model subs, and subcommittee to answer questions.

only after successfully building something you know SHOULD work would i start making my own scratch built anything.

Hi!

Yes, I have seen and read about the 212A. However, I have my heart set on building my own sub, although technically speaking, the 212A is basically what I want to build. I am quite curious how its X form rudder works though, and if it has two or four servos.

Salmon; How do the X-rudders work on your Sjöormen? How many servos control the rudders?

BR
Nick

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 01:14:25 pm »

I use just two servos. I will post pictures later this week, I have it packed. I am heading to Southern California for medical testing. While down there I will be running at my favorite pond in Yorba Linda Regional Park.

SWEnick

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 11:30:16 am »

I use just two servos. I will post pictures later this week, I have it packed. I am heading to Southern California for medical testing. While down there I will be running at my favorite pond in Yorba Linda Regional Park.

Ahh! Then I think I understand how it all works. It is basically still a cross rudder linkage at 45 deg? Picture would be splendid, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.