Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS HUNAN drawings photos  (Read 4219 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
SS HUNAN drawings photos
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:05:39 am »

Hello all

I am wanting photographs and drawings of the cargo ship, SS Hunan. The ship was built in 1932.

Can anyone oblige or advise?

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SS HUNAN drawings photos
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 12:10:32 pm »

Barry
Thank you for the links.
Clearly going to be a minefield concerning accuracy if not finding detailed info.

Toby

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:53:01 am »

hi Toby
As far as plans go for the SS HUNAN I am sure they were drawn by James Pottinger for an article in the Model Shipwright - you may be aware of this but I am unsure.  James Pottinger now resides in the far North of Scotland - and somewhere around I have his email address.  I will try contacting him and asking him about the plans and the article.   I know the books come up on Ebay quite often so keep an eye open for them.

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:57:20 am »

The Society of Model Shipwrights had a stock of old copies of Model Shipwright on sale at their recent exhibition. Adrian Roberts there may be able to help if you ask nicely!

http://www.modelshipwrights.org/

Colin

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:33:05 am »

Hello John,

Thank you for your latest help.

I hope that you will be able to make contact on my behalf.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:38:37 am »

Colin
Thank you for your suggestion about contacting MSw.

I have sent to them a message, via their contact page, addressing the enquiry to Adrian Roberts.

Toby

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 11:10:52 am »

Adrian Roberts was unable to help, so John, your keen eye in spotting the relevant magazine for sale is excellent. I shall have a look at the eBay listing in a few moments. Thank you John for remembering my request here and finding something too.

I telephoned the Glasgow University archive a few days ago and am waiting for an email with details and prices of their Hunan drawings.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:17:44 am »

Magazine bought at £7.50 incl postage. Thanks  again John..

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 11:31:37 am »

Bought for £6.50 inclusive.

Thanks again John. I am looking forward to reading what is in the magazines. Perhaps there may be a photo or two too.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 10:19:09 pm »

I received the following from William Bill at the Glasgow Archive. Attach the information for those modellers who may be interested in building a model of this vessel: SS Hunan. The request form is a PDF and such cannot be uploaded here. I will try to copy paste in another posting. Toby

Thank you for your enquiry about the ship HUNAN yard number 555 built by Scott’s SB. & E. Co. Ltd. in 1932 for China Navigation Co. , below is the list of plans that we hold:

GD319/16/117
 [/t][/t]  Ship No. 555 'Hunan'

GD319/16/117/1
 [/t]  Rigging (As Fitted)

GD319/16/117/3
 [/t]  Midship Section

GD319/16/117/4
 [/t]  Profile & Decks

GD319/16/117/5
 [/t]  Sternframe & Rudder

GD319/16/117/6
 [/t]  Body 

GD319/16/117/7
 [/t]  Pumping (As Fitted)

GD319/16/117/8
 [/t]  Capacity Profile

GD319/16/117/9
 [/t]  D W Scale

GD319/16/117/1-2
 [/t]  General Arrangement (As Fitted)

GD319/16/117/13
 [/t]  Shell Expansion

GD319/16/117/14
 [/t]  Offsets

GD319/16/117/10-12
 [/t]  Hydrostatics

[/t]       

If you would like to order copies of any of the plans, please complete the attached order form:
Write on the form the exact reference number(s) for the plan(s) you wish to be copied, and state if you would like paper or digital copies and post it to us. This form confirms that if supplied with the copies you will abide by the relevant copyright legislation. When we receive your form, the following happens:

1. We assess whether the original plan is robust enough to withstand the copying process. If it is we move on to step two but if not we will inform you that we are unable to proceed with your order without causing excessive damage to the original plan. As the archives that we hold are irreplaceable you will appreciate that our first duty is to protect them from damage.

2. We prepare an estimate of the cost based on the length of the original plan(s) plus a handling charge and where applicable a postage and packing charge. This estimate is then sent to you along with information on the scale of the plans (where this is not already available in the existing catalogue). Once you have returned the estimate, confirming that you would like to go ahead, we move onto step 3.

3. We process your order and arrange for you to be invoiced for the cost. We aim to have your plans dispatched within 10 working days but this depends on the volume of work at any given time and can be up to 20 working days at peak periods. An express service of dispatch within 5 working days is often available for an additional charge. Please ask for prices and availability.

Please quote enquiry reference number ...... in all future correspondence with us.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Yours sincerely

--
William Bill
Archive Technician

Tel: +44 (0)141 330 5515
Fax: +44 (0)141 330 2640

Archive Services
University of Glasgow
13 Thurso Street Glasgow G11 6PE

Please help support the work of Archive Services

The University of Glasgow, charity number SC004401
--

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 10:30:40 pm »

I have had to split the pages as they were over the 500 limit on here.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 10:33:27 pm »

According to Bryan there is a sheet with the anti- piracy gadgets shown, but unless it comes  under one of those listed there must be another sheet. I will be having to look up a few terms to know exactly what might be found on the plans by their headings.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 07:00:57 pm »

Hunan model has had a bath in the local fountain. Buy model means finished but wanted to test the hull and the prop and the rudder and to get an idea of the ballast placing and amount. All ok. On that day I had 50lbs of weight with me. Prop under the water but to the waterline likely need another 30 or 40lbs.

Then to decide when to complete superstructure as originally fitted or in the latter version with writings of rooms on the poop deck and either side of the stern main deck.

Until now I had assumed that the re- fit was an early change to the vessel likely because the plan which featured in the Modellers Draught magazine in 1991 is of the vessel with the changes.  Only when I studied the original plans did I note that changes were evident and only this week did I learn from the SOAS Archive in London that the changes date from 1958. Strange then that the fitting out chosen for the plan was this in light of the fact that the ship was scrapped in 1962. So the vessel remained in its original fitting for 26 years and only 4 in its revamped state.

I like both versions.  Make a pair of interchangeable decks for the poop and also removable structures on the stern main deck interchangeable with plain decking??  😁

Anyhow after all these years at least it has now seen water and apart from correcting some of the rivet detail the hull is virtually finished.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 01:17:01 am »

It went for a swim. Sailed a treat.
Launch ok
Now to fit out with more detail.
We are getting there!

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 01:23:05 am »

Photos

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 01:26:32 am »

Photos
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.