Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifeboat get together  (Read 1846 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
Lifeboat get together
« on: August 28, 2018, 02:28:26 pm »

I was just browsing on Marine Traffic to see what 17-28 is up to (Torbay lifeboat and my model) and its in Falmouth along with 17-29 (the Falmouth boat) and 16-01.
Its just idle curiosity but does anyone know why there are 3 lifeboats(maybe more) in Falmouth at the moment?I had a quick browse on the net but didnt come across anything to explain it.Marine Traffic says 17-27 is in Brixham.(Torbay)Showing my ignorance now.......is Falmouth possibly a service centre for lifeboats?As I say just curiosity but I wondered.Les

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Lifeboat get together
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 02:57:36 pm »

Volunteer Spirit 17-27 is a relief boat.
Shown on the RNLI jetty
Brixham.
The movement of vessels by
the Moguls at Poole sometimes
defy the thoughts of us mere mortals.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:12:30 pm »

I was just browsing on Marine Traffic to see what 17-28 is up to (Torbay lifeboat and my model) and its in Falmouth along with 17-29 (the Falmouth boat) and 16-01.
Its just idle curiosity but does anyone know why there are 3 lifeboats(maybe more) in Falmouth at the moment?I had a quick browse on the net but didnt come across anything to explain it.Marine Traffic says 17-27 is in Brixham.(Torbay)Showing my ignorance now.......is Falmouth possibly a service centre for lifeboats?As I say just curiosity but I wondered.Les
Hi
Falmouth Boat Construction has been servicing and refurbishing lifeboats for many years,and although many now go to Poole for repairs etc,some are still sent to FBC and other establishments.As well as the local Severn,Richard Cox Scott,as you say there is the Brixham boat ,and the Scottish boat that was severely damaged in the recent storm.
You may not know,but there are also three ex lifeboats in the Falmouth area,a single screw Liverpool Class,Herbert John,herself a Historic Lifeboat,also the ex Sennen Cove Mersey Lifeboat,The Four Boys,and a Tyne Class originally stationed in Scotland
Hope this helps
Mick F

RST

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:38:20 pm »

I went to see a colleagues sailboat in Inverness marina last year and I was surprised to see maybe 5 or 6 "new" lifeboats berthed there.  I never got a clear answer why but I guessed they were either en-route somewhere for servicing, en-route somewhere back etc etc. It's not like they're made anywhere near us but I guessed it was a holding point for ones en-route somewhere for whatever reason? I've not been back to the marina (my friends boat is a contentious issue) since so don't know whether it was a one-off or not.
Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.