Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bismarck  (Read 1775 times)

howard spary

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Bismarck
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:48:45 pm »

hi members

i have a graunper bismark  coming soon and noticed that it is supplied with flags which seem not to move in the wind  also they the centre of the flag is blank   , whils i understand  feelings still run high from ww2  and this particular ship in the intrest of autheticity i my likley  to be sunk by people who still hold memorys  from this dark period in history

look forward to any consructive comments from members  who may have come across problem

howard spary
scuppers

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: bismark
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:59:46 pm »

In Germany they are not legally permitted to reproduce the Swastika.
You can probably find someting suitable in the UK.
Colin

T888

• Full Mayhemer
Re: bismark
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:13:20 pm »

BECC flags is a good supplier.

Regards David

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bismarck
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:43:32 pm »

hi members

i have a graunper bismark  coming soon and noticed that it is supplied with flags which seem not to move in the wind  also they the centre of the flag is blank   , whils i understand  feelings still run high from ww2  and this particular ship in the intrest of autheticity i my likley  to be sunk by people who still hold memorys  from this dark period in history

look forward to any consructive comments from members  who may have come across problem

howard spary
scuppers

I wouldn't worry about it Howard...…...when I lived in my coastguard cottage close to the prom, I had a next but one door neighbour who showed me his life story in mementos and photographs

he was a CPO on HMS MAORI when she was involved in the group involved in the sinking of the Bismarck. Maori was sent in to fish out the survivors from the sunken ship, and then transfer them to the Dorsetshire,

he showed me photos that he had taken of the survivors being helped up the scramble nets onto the deck of Maori, some still wearing their hats.

he would tell me of the friends he made from the survivors over the years and his last reunion with the men from the Bismarck Survivors Association  the last time he went in 1987 to Germany top meet them, was down to just seven men.

the comradery of both British and German sailors, he said was second to none, and even one elderly man having made a model of his ill-fated ship which he had brought along to the gathering.

Barnie, as my friend was called [Stanley Barnes to be exact] asked him about the Swastika painted on the bow and did people in Germany think about such adornments, and I will always remember what barnie said of the mans reply. he said..….."it is history, and it belongs in history as a warning not to go down that avenue again. all nations have things that they are ashamed of, but if modern society is not aware of our shame, they will never learn from our mistakes"

I think he was a wise, but also a brave man......I wish I had met him.

Sadly, my friend Barnie died 3 years later, and I cried at his funeral.And his memoirs that covered his life from an early age, probably went into a skip, because I sadly never saw them again.....a priceless relic of history gone for good.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 10:47:17 pm »

I have just taken into care of a pair of binoculars 1942 vintage , engraved on them is " presented to Capt ES Carver RN by the RNLI.1943".   Cpt , then Lt Carver was the senior observer (pilot Lt C Tim Coode ) who in a Swordfish made the location contact on the Bismark after the sinking  of the Hood and breaking out into the Atlantic. They returned to HMS Victorious to re fuel and arm with torpedoes and finally , after nearly sinking the Sheffield, the wing attacked and and crippled the Bismark later to be sunk by surface fire.

On 16 September, awards were posted in the London Gazette for the aircrew who had participated in the hunt. Strike leader Lieutenant-Commander Coode was awarded the DSO. DSCs went to Lieutenants Carver, Godfrey-Faussett, and Hunter, Sub-Lieutenant Elias, for his expert navigation while shadowing Bismarck, and Sub-Lieutenant(A) Beale. For his excellent work on the radio while shadowing Bismarck, Leading Airman Huxley was awarded the DSM. In January 1942 the Gazette posted a further DSC for Sub-Lieutenant(A) Pattisson, while Lieutenant(A) Keane, DSC was Mentioned in Dispatches.
I assume the presentation from the RNLI was acknowledgement of the award and the consequential saving of MM crew lives
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 08:18:14 am »

Sorry Baldrick
Just to correct you on one point - the aircraft from Ark Royal were the ones who disabled the Bismarck after the lucky misses on the Sheffield. After the initial attacks by the Victorious swordfish which harassed the Bismarck they didn’t take part in further action and the Ark Royal swordfish went for the final blow.

However keep good care of those binoculars, a little bit of history is preserved by chaps like yourself who appreciate what they are and the story behind them. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 08:50:45 am »

Most remiss of me , yes they flew from the Ark.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 10:56:51 am »

No worries. Their efforts saved many merchant sailors loves and also spared the Navy the extra stress of having two modern major surface assets in two places that needed covering.
Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 09:00:44 pm »

Personally I have no problem displaying the scale flags on a scale model. I get a bit uneasy about the big identification flags on 1/16 scale German tanks, but that is contradicting my views regarding the smaller flags on ships. What I have trouble with are the three foot by two foot swastika flags that I have seen displayed under or behind models. Difficult subject.
As far as members etc on line at the moment, have you looked outside, glorious day :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:07:34 pm »

Having done a few model shows in Germany (and a lot more in here in France) they have now relaxed the flying of the swaskia on models for exhibitions....but do check. I remember an article Colin did many years ago (sorry but it was a while back Colin) for MB mag from Germany and the models had tape over the flags.  :((
Steamed up all the time

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 05:30:49 am »

I would  concentrate more on the props if they are still using the same Plastic ones  as before. Which were also the same size as they use on their PT 596 no thread just a grub screw blades easily broken and possibly no spares available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.