Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston Blenheim trawler  (Read 3184 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Boston Blenheim trawler
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:06:09 am »

I see that plans are available but I note that some models are based on a fibreglass hull.

Does anyone know who produced these hulls and whether they are still available.

Toby

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Boston Blenheim trawler
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:19:07 am »

Yes its still available but for the life of me I can't remember the retailers name. I'll continue to search but plans are here and they may even do a hull.....https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product-category/model-boat-builder/plans/scale-boats-ships/trawlers/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:43:20 am »

The hull was originally produced by Kingston Mouldings but Robin Whitmarsh has now retired (see http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54415.0) and I don't know if anyone else has taken on his moulds.
There was some suggestion that they might go to MTB Hulls who I think are in Gibraltar but but they are not listed on the website: http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/
Colin

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:21:45 am »

Hello Brian60,

Thank you for you reply.

Hopefully you will recall who soon.

I have sent an email to sarikhobbies.

Toby

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:40:39 am »

Colin

Thank you for your help.
I have read about RWs retirement and that MTB a couple of years ago hinted that they were in contact concerning the mould for his hulls but that it would not be for 2 years.  Well 2years has elapsed since this messages on the forum.

Does anyone have a contact detail for Robin W now that the website is no longer online.?

I have sent a message to MTB also.

Toby

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:07:17 am »

hi ya Toby
the plans were originally a freebie back in the70s in the Model Boats Mag - I know the mag with the plans do come up on Ebay - I think the article ran for about three months - I will need to check my magazines to be exact.   However, the hull is fairly easy to make plank on frame and its an enjoyable build if you take your time.   I built one many years ago and I have just refurbished the model after I found that the plastic I had originally used had perished.
(News update the article ran from January 1979 to Feb 1979 )

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 11:37:31 am »

Hi John,

That does look super!
 Very crisp and smart.

I have a number of plank on frame models under way at present as well as a few based on fibreglass hulls. I enjoy both and after a friend who had seen a model of the BB showed me a photo i thought I would enquire.

I have noted online that there are  plans for sale. Not sure if they be the same as issued in the magazine decades ago but the price is generally reasonable.

Thanks for the photo. 
Have you taken your boat to the water since her refurbishment?

Toby

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 05:25:02 pm »

Hi ya Toby
yes the model has been test floated but as yet no pics on the lake - she does sail well tho especially in windy conditions :-)  couple of garden pics of her when she was sitting in the garden.   I noticed in another post you are after details of the SS Hunan am I correct?  If so, Bryan Young has built this model and no doubt if he is well enough he may furnish you with all the details you require because his model is a beautiful model.
John

Bryans model

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39942.msg447146.html#msg447146

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43477.0.html

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »

Hello John

That is a delightful model you have made. Some fancy planking at the stern by the look of it!

Thank you for sharing the photos very helpful and interesting.  Are your gantries etc made from plastic sheeting or similar.

Yes, I am wanting information on SS Hunan.  I note that there is another later- built vessel of the same name but not steam powered and on the forum is a model of that vessel too.
I have heard about Bryan Young's  model and have sent him and email to ask he if will be kind enough to share anything he has. Depending on his reply may mean I have to visit Glasgow archives to see / buy more detailed plans than I have.

Regards
Toby

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 07:28:02 pm »

Hi ya Toby
yes the model has been test floated but as yet no pics on the lake - she does sail well tho especially in windy conditions :-)  couple of garden pics of her when she was sitting in the garden.   I noticed in another post you are after details of the SS Hunan am I correct?  If so, Bryan Young has built this model and no doubt if he is well enough he may furnish you with all the details you require because his model is a beautiful model.
John

Bryans model

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39942.msg447146.html#msg447146

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43477.0.html

that's the nicest model of her I have ever seen, John.

knew the twins very well as a young man working for COSALT  at Fleetwood during my uni holidaysfor 3 summers.

Cosalt used to provide the nets, bobbins warps and most other chandlery that kept these trawlers going, and one of my jobs was to drive the old Commer 1/4 back door model with all the gear on the back....we'd load the bobbins and nets first and then, like giant "slinky" springs we'd whip the first few rounds of the warp which was coiled in circles from the truck that we'd parked on the edge of the dock side and flick it over onto the deck of the trawler being replenished......dive clear and watch it flick over like a spring onto the deck if we got it right which was 99% of the time it would go onto the deck...……...on the odd chance it would end in the docks, and we'd have to get one of the dock cranes to hook it out with a grappling hook......and this would always happen just before we were due to go home.

another story of this and her sister ship the Boston Beverley, was that they were pair fishers, and would always race home, and arrive down the channel on a full tide ready to sail straight through the lock pits one behind the other..………….invariably the wash from the first through the locks would create a surge for the second of the two and that trawler would crash through the pits rebounding from one side to the other putting dents the full length of the hull...…..

so john, if your hull is perfect with no bumps scrapes of dents in it...….you can only ever show her as STRAIGHT FROM THE BUILDERS and before she got to Fleetwood. {-) {-) {-) {-) .....and that was a very short episode in their lives...the skippers were very competitive and didn't give a sheet how they were treated.!! %% %% {-) {-) O0 :-))

both eventually were sold to Chile, and Fleetwood crews took them out there... you really have a lovely model there.

neil.

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 12:00:40 pm »

Neil

Thank you for the two links to Bryan's boat Hunan. Very interesting and useful!

Toby

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 03:25:05 pm »

You occasionally see a bare hull for the Boston Blenheim for sale on Ebay
Davie Tait,
Scotland

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 06:11:10 pm »

Thank you Davie. Noted and eyes peeled.

T

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 06:38:50 pm »

If you are really keen on the model then have a go at building the hull. It can be very satisfying and really is not all that difficult. And then you can say you have built the whole thing yourself.
Colin

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 06:51:57 pm »

Noted Colin. Thank you. Trying to finish several other boats and the hull of the Hunan.

Plan ordered a few minutes ago.

T

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 06:54:01 pm »

Best of luck Funnel. One at a time is more than enough for me!  ok2
Colin

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 07:08:54 pm »

Yes one at a time is sensible but when research holds up progress it is best to get on with something and sometimes have 'easier builds' on hand to tackle in between or more simple (less detailed) models as light relief from the time-consuming aspects of the hobby.
Toby
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.