Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Navy WW2 Seaplane Tender  (Read 2371 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
US Navy WW2 Seaplane Tender
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:33:35 pm »

This was one of those models that had been on my "got to build" list for some years.  They were wartime conversions of merchant ships (C3 type) and this, plus they were built in two classes and also the inevitable alterations and additions made getting enough details together a chore.  As a result the final model is something of a mongrel with features from different vessels and, I'll admit, a few ideas of my own.

The model built to approximately 1/144 scale giving a length of around 40 inches (1 m) and a weight of 10 pounds (4 1/2 kg).  This scale was ideal as it allowed me to use a few model aircraft kits that had been purchased some years ago.

The hull construction is balsa with extensive use of card in the superstructure. Power is supplied by one of those "rock climber motors" which look like ordinary Mabuchi motors but have more turns for lower speeds but more torque.  With a 6 Volt battery it gives the model an over-scale speed which is often handy when someones kamikaze model is bearing down on yours. 

The model is still undergoing shake-down trial but without any problems so far.  It has good handing with a single propeller and rudder but I added a "bow thruster" which is definitely none-scale.  It is just an auto windscreen washer pump and with two 1/8 inch (3 mm) holes in the bows, it's hardly noticeable.

Not the easiest model to design and build but a pleasure to sail.  Even better since no spectators have yet to call it the Titanic or even the Bismark!
Glynn Guest   

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: US Navy WW2 Seaplane Tender
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:44:49 pm »

beautiful model with one of my favourite planes aft, a PBY :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:55:13 pm »

Is the smaller one behind the PBY a Grumman Goose? It’s a fantastic model, I presume we shall see it in a feature in a future Model Boats edition.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 03:10:18 pm »

Yes Nick,
          Correct on both counts, it is indeed a Grumman Goose and, hopefully, will appear as a magazine plan.  But, before then there are all the items on Mrs Guest's "to do" list that need working on....!
Glynn

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:28:03 pm »

I know you design models to suit all skill levels and types of craft, but this is a very detailed and complex looking model with loads of detail and a hull form that you must have spent ages working out given that sheer! Lovely work, and developed for an article that I will look forward to reading soon.

Pond weed is your enemy

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:23:28 am »

Ballastanksian,
               Believe me, the hardest part of any models design is figuring out an easy (I can't say foolproof because over the years I've met some very determined fools) way to build it.

This model, despite its appearance, is no more complex and difficult to build than many previous models.  The only skills required are the ability to use a knife, glue and sandpaper plus a willingness to seal and prepare surfaces before painting. Sadly, far too many people seem determined to never develop such skills.

But, as Laurence Sterne said in "Tristram Shandy";
"So long as a man rides his hobby-horse peaceably and quietly along the king's highway, and neither compels you or me to get up behind him - pray, Sir, what have either you or I to do with it?"

Now to knock another item off Mrs Guest's "to do" list....!
Glynn Guest

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 08:05:09 pm »

Finished (at last!)
I had planned to leave drawing up these plans for a while but got bored.  Just finished them and they are in the post to the Model Boats magazine.
During sailing trials I began to feel that the model had something of an empty or even abandoned appearance.  So, using some "N gauge" railway figures, a crew working on the seaplanes were added.  They, along with some bits of kit around them, create the impression of activity, or more likely they are all wondering where that bit came from and how are they going to get it refitted....?
Now perhaps I'll get that Dragon Force yacht kit built.
Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:32:11 pm »

She's a very nice model ship Glynn! I look forward to reading the article in Model boats.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »

Gives it that scale with people onboard, my Insect class gunboat is often mistaken for a battleship from afar but once people see the 1/32 scale figures they soon realise how small the gunboats were.
It looks brilliant Glynn, look forward to the article. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 01:56:59 pm »

Back from the Dead.....
Finally published in the February issue of the Model Boats magazine.  But, not as a plan, it's the first part of a series of three construction articles.
As these vessels were built on merchant ship hulls, the construction techniques used might still be of interest even if you have no interest in building models based upon military vessels?
Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 05:01:50 pm »

That's a long list that Mrs GG gave you! I think that my local newsagent gave up the ghost before you first planned to have it published in 2018 and never sorted out an alternative source. Still she remains a busy looking model. Lovely job Mr G.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.