Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KARCHER POWER WASHER.  (Read 1850 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
KARCHER POWER WASHER.
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:44:47 am »

Does anyone know what could be wrong with this power washer.

I was given it a few weeks ago......when connected and the hose connection is turned on, the water flows through without the motor turned on......when the motor is turned on, the water is powered through only marginally faster than when motor off.

is it worth taking apart to have a look or just junk it.

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: KARCHER POWER WASHER.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:50:31 am »

The valves in the pump have gone.  They could be stuck open due to muck in which case you could clean them up and get it working or they could be broken, in which case I wouldn't bother with it.  Some use ceramic valves, which are prone to breaking, but some use metal discs.  if there is a noticeable increase in flow when you run it then it sounds like the piston is OK.  Valves are nearly always the issue, especially in hard water areas.

I would at least dismantle it for a once over, nothing to lose there, and see what has gone.  Hopefully you can access the valves without touching anything else.

mrturbo553

• Full Mayhemer
    • North Sea winches
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:14:56 am »

Neil , tbh  what you can get a new one with warranty for the one you have being given isn't worth spending much on , these guys a great for suppling spares if they are still available for that model
https://septimus-spares.co.uk/

or buy a refurbished one from these .

https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/

dealt with both and they both offer excellent service , cheers Aid
Gone racing back in 9.5 sec
http://www.nswinches.co.uk

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:58 pm »

thanks guys for some very informative news...……….I actually have a full working jet pressure washer, but was wondering as I had been given it whether the motor and jets could possibly be used for my water jet lifeboat...…..I shall start dismantling and see what the valves are like.....many thanks to you both. :-))

neil.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 02:33:43 pm »

Neil, I think you have to connect the lance and hose up as to give the pump some back pressure I know I have had to and all of mine.
            Regards Howard

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »

For dump read pump :D :D
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:50:53 pm »

Neil, I think you have to connect the lance and hose up as to give the dump some back pressure I know I have had to and all of mine.
            Regards Howard

:-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:53:06 pm »

For dump read pump :D :D
Ned

I was wondering for a moment whether it was a turbocharged motor, ned...……..but I know s o d all about such matters except the boy racers going up n down our street with their little turbo focus's giving their dump valves a pasting lol.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 04:33:40 pm »

I've had this - it's probably the pump casing. It's a piece of moulded glass-reinforced nylon or similar 3" in diameter and 4" long  that is just not up to the job.

There's a rotating angled metal disc on the motor that makes 3 piston pumps work in sequence - the pump housing for the little pistons splits and so the water just runs straight through.

I had the materials guys look at mine and they said it looked like the injection machine was probably a bit too cold so the plastic didn't flow fully into the mould and caused a cold junction where the plastic entering the mould had partially set before completely filling the mould. Like a fault line. That's where it failed.

It's all held together with little Torx screws and they may send you a new part if you complain.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »

I've had this - it's probably the pump casing. It's a piece of moulded glass-reinforced nylon or similar 3" in diameter and 4" long  that is just not up to the job.

There's a rotating angled metal disc on the motor that makes 3 piston pumps work in sequence - the pump housing for the little pistons splits and so the water just runs straight through.

I had the materials guys look at mine and they said it looked like the injection machine was probably a bit too cold so the plastic didn't flow fully into the mould and caused a cold junction where the plastic entering the mould had partially set before completely filling the mould. Like a fault line. That's where it failed.

It's all held together with little Torx screws and they may send you a new part if you complain.

thanks , Plastic...…..…..I was only going to use the innards but as the unit is an old unit anyway, its probably had its day...…….so i'll just dump it...…….I don't think its worth the effort of trying, as I don't have any of the piping or lances anyway, so i'll take the thing tp bits and salvage any parts that I think I might use. cheers to you all for your replies...…….i'll junk it.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 05:20:03 pm »

Fix it.... Bow Thruster! 
    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 09:43:07 pm »

Look on Karcher web site all the parts were all ways available also a very good tech section I have repaired at least 4 pressure washers. You could deal direct with Karcher thy  were very helpful
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 01:48:04 pm »

I replaced the seals for the pump, a kit from karcher. What they didn't include was the pressure release valve seal, which turned out to be the fault.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.