Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cut servo lead ?  (Read 2156 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Cut servo lead ?
« on: September 01, 2018, 11:06:58 am »

At the Bristol model show I bought a amber rotary beacon for the hangar on HMS Victorious
When it arrived I find that as soon as rx is powered up the beacon works,it takes four stick movements to turn off. As it always comes on in the mode I want would it be possible to cut one of the servo type lead that plugs it directly into
The rx and run it through a relay to give me on/off option. If so which wire to cut, it has the black/ oranet/ brown lead

Bob
I will finish this model

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cut servo lead ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:37:27 am »

Bob....here is a link page to the colour coding for all popular Tx to Rx & wiring/servos etc.....it suggests that the + is always the RED wire 

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=colour+codes+for+different+servo+wires&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX4MfQ-prdAhUEAogKHe-bDd8QsAR6BAgBEAE

The majority of Brands have the + in the centre shell position, however Airtronics Brand appear to be + to an outer shell position <*<

I have little electronic knowledge, however if I compare it to a steam component, I would choose the source or the + Red wire

Lets wait & see of someone from the School of Black Arts responds

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 05:12:42 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 09:07:11 am »

If the beacon is powered from the receiver, cutting its power supply will certainly stop it switching on.  Ever.
A link to it might help with guesswork, but the fact that stick movements do turn it off suggests that it expects something on the signal wire.  As a temporary test, winkle out the brown wire and see what happens.  This will stop the signal but let the beacon draw power.  If it wakes up in the required mode, job done.
Black/orange/brown is unusual, but the usual arrangement is that black is nearest the edge of the TX board and is -ve power, the center pin is +ve, and the other one is signal, whatever the colour scheme.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 05:23:30 pm »

Mal
Thanks for that, the brown wire removed stopped all movement, and when reinserted allowed beacon to come on in the slow rotary mode, ideal for the aircraft hanger.  As I have plenty of channel to play with, on and off will be controlled by the circuit board connected to the I bus board.  Agan thanks, btw the colour schemes was the normal brown orange black

Cheers

Bob
If the beacon is powered from the receiver, cutting its power supply will certainly stop it switching on.  Ever.
A link to it might help with guesswork, but the fact that stick movements do turn it off suggests that it expects something on the signal wire.  As a temporary test, winkle out the brown wire and see what happens.  This will stop the signal but let the beacon draw power.  If it wakes up in the required mode, job done.
Black/orange/brown is unusual, but the usual arrangement is that black is nearest the edge of the TX board and is -ve power, the center pin is +ve, and the other one is signal, whatever the colour scheme.
I will finish this model

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:21:48 pm »

Useful stuff thanks also answered a question I had.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.