Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

BEST plastic bearing material

(1/3) > >>

rayna:
Hi Folks
 I have made up shafts and bearings for years now but I now have another two pair sets to make so I thought i would ask the teams opinion on which is best material.
Shafts are usually stainless and tubes are brass (K&S) and previously I have made the bearings out of acrylic, nylon, uhwmpe and acetal. All have worked but what plastic do you guys  find best, or should I stick with brass??
Look forward to your replies.
Rayna

derekwarner:
Rayna.......[from my own  <*< experiences]

1. synthetic materials are excellent when used in the intended application...........
2. many synthetic materials adsorb water to their micro structure which can alter their dimensional reference
3. a heat increase within a synthetic material bush can also alter their dimensional reference

Bronze or brass family of metals when machined to bushes can tinned & soft soldered into the toleranced K&S brass tubing
The actual prop shaft can be used as the alignment former during this relatively low temperature soldering by sweating  procedure
This also provides an accurate alignment between the 3 elements   :-))

I would always recommend to use the brass or bronze bushes in the brass K&S tube with a stainless shaft......adding an oiler tube of course .......

Derek

john44:
I only use bronze to make my bushes would not use anything else and as Derek does, fit an oiler
I solder my oilers onto the tube using plumbers solder, it's harder and stronger than soft solder.

John

Martin (Admin):

Stick with brass or better, bronze.

I've used 'nylon' a couple of times, the steel wears a lot more than the nylon!   :o

Andyn:
An awful lot of multi racers are using PEEK for bushes at the prop end, and if it's good enough for 8 horsepower at 28,000rpm, it's good enough for something electric...

I know Ian Folkson is selling genuine PEEK in suitable sizes for bushes, see http://www.iansboats.co.uk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version