Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor belt drive system query  (Read 2043 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Motor belt drive system query
« on: September 11, 2018, 01:50:23 am »

Hello all

I was rather chuffed that to date the propshaft and bushes all seem to be fitting well in the 'putting all in situ' stage.  I brought the motor to the boat and ooops the shaft from the motor is about 1/2" higher than that of the propshaft; the motor just placed on the keel spar.  Drat or words to that effect.

The motor I had thought of using, in the cargo ship Hunan, is a Bühler (possibly a 3030) 6-18v type 80mm or so long and 55 mm in diameter with a 6mm shaft of about 60mm protruding.
 The motor  Is Quiet and ought to have good torque.

I am not particularly wanting to chisel out a section of the keel spar and so I have to consider either a different motor or find a mechanism and toothed pulleys to apply to the Bühler in order to achieve a lower drive shaft position to marry- up with the propshaft.x

I have a torpedo 500 geared motor with 6:1 reduction and which runs from 4.5-15v.
I am just not sure if this motor would be happy or if out would be constantly working at the top end.
The size difference between the Bühler and the torpedo 500 is clear. Perhaps that is what is making me think that the torpedo will be under- powered/ over- worked.  The gearbox may prevent that and you all may say that it is ok.

The ship is 6'6" in length and about 14" in the beam and weighs currently approximately 13kgs or just  under 29lbs. This is without batteries or ballasting. Bryan in previous correspondence to me estimated that the vessel would need a displacement of approx 80lbs..

The question is,: is the geared torpedo going to be suitable or can one buy a system for operating via belt drive between motor and shaft at a 1:1 ratio as though direct drive.

I have a couple of belt drive motors but they are in another vessel.  I bought them second- hand and so do not know who stocks this type of motor but obviously they were available.

Anyone any ideas?

Toby

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Motor belt drive system query
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 04:42:10 am »

If you want to keep the motor then the only way I see to do it is a belt drive set up. The advantage of that is you can decide what gearing you want - keep it the same 1 to 1 or change it by altering pulley sizes. The only bug bear here is that you would need to make a bracket to hold the motor so that its shaft is parallel with the prop shaft.
Many places do pulley and belt combinations.... RS Components is a good place to start but not the cheapest,  https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/pneumatics-hydraulics-power-transmission/power-transmission-pulleys/timing-belt-pulleys/     

Work out what you want make a note and if you are happy with the price buy them, if not shop around, as long as you have the sizes there are various places to get them. Best tip I can offer is go for the T2.5 set ups, match the belt and drives all the same, the T2.5 refers to the pitch of the teeth.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:22:40 am »

SHG Model Supplies do a good range of toothed belts and pulleys. Best to make the motor mount adjustable for distance to the shaft so you can try different ratios if necessary. 2.5:1 is the most you should need to gear down by.

Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:56:43 am »

look to the suppliers for robotics they always have interesting drive belt and other systems
eg https://www.active-robots.com/hardware/belt-drive.html

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 09:10:54 am »

Toothed belts and pulleys are available from Hobby’s- catalogues from WHSmiths, also have a website www.hobby.co.uk

Darnall gears also do mail order gears and belt drives suitable for modelling.

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:34:06 am »

Thank you to you all for the quick and useful comment and links. Coffee break time and I shall investigate. I assume one makes a frame to house the motor and a parallel shaft with bearings too. Clearly the ones I bought second- hand were good  value as they were complete setup ready to install. Never fully realised the good buy until now.

Does anyone have an opinion on the suitability of using the mfa torpedo 500 geared 6:1 for a boat of this size with an 80mm prop.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:43:42 am »

the geared drive will probably be okay but noisy...go with the buhler i think the german motor will be a little more efficient and quieter.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 11:12:27 am »

MFA motor500 swinging a 100mm dia  paddlewheel ok with 6:1 belt drive

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57145.msg594581.html#msg594581

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.