Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z-Poxy Finishing Resin  (Read 2208 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Z-Poxy Finishing Resin
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »

I'm thinking of giving my Timber hulled Lifeboat a coat of Z-Poxy Finishing Resin, inside and out. Is this stuff any good, and what is it like to paint on? Also, the hull will need some Filler in a few places. Should the resin be applied to the bare Timbers before the Filler, or would it be ok to fill first and then apply the Resin over the top of Timber and Filler?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Z-Poxy Finishing Resin
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:01:39 pm »

what i like to do is apply an initial coat of epoxy to seal the grain, then apply filler, sand back nice and smooth, then apply a second coat so consolidate the two, cut that back and you should have a very strong waterproof coating ready for primer.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 07:36:08 pm »

For filler use epoxy mixed with microballoons, lightweight and easy to sand yet strong. It won't matter whether then you resin first or after filling as the filler bonds to the resin.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 08:51:43 pm »

See section on painting in this section about fillers I use the darned stuff daily and I dont do heavy rubbing down thats why I advocate what I do

Dave

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:11:22 pm »

Hi Folks,
I was using some Z-Poxy today for the first time. It is very thick, probably partly due to the cold weather, but is there anything i can use to thin it down, to get better coverage? I have some Acetone - will that work? I'm just using this to apply a surface finish, i'm not laminating or doing anything that needs any strength.
Thanks,
Charlie

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:22:17 pm »

Yes, acetone will thin epoxy but use it sparingly.  Only a little can make a big difference to the runniness of the epoxy and too much can affect curing and ultimate strength.  However, epoxy, thinned or not, will not cure properly if the temperature is too cold.  A better idea is to warm the epoxy first (just bring it indoors for a few hours, or stand it in some warm water if you are in a hurry) then when you have done the messy bit in your man cave, bring the hull indoors under cover of darkness and put somewhere secluded to cure.  The fact that epoxy doesn't reek lilke polyester resin is a great advantage!  Or if you can heat your workshop to at least 15 C you can avoid any conflict and leave the boat there to cure.  Even if you have a reasonably warm workspace, warming the epoxy to 20 or 25 C will help mixing and application.

(I accept no responsibility for domestic arguments or violence to the person.  %% )

Greg

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:57:54 pm »

Hi Folks,
I was using some Z-Poxy today for the first time. It is very thick, probably partly due to the cold weather, but is there anything i can use to thin it down, to get better coverage? I have some Acetone - will that work? I'm just using this to apply a surface finish, i'm not laminating or doing anything that needs any strength.
Thanks,
Charlie

I find Isopropyl Alcohol works better.  Is available as "Rubbing Alcohol" or you can get it on fleabay at a reasonable price.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 01:06:00 am »

Meths and Methanol work too
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.