Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VnA Dundee  (Read 2112 times)

RST

VnA Dundee
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:59:38 am »

No idea why this double post happened but I deleted it to save confusion -all the text went screwy.

RST

Re: VnA Dundee
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:01:13 am »

...Has anyone else been watching the news on the new VnA building opening in Dundee?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiK2N6j1LbdAhUQfFAKHYsLDmAQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vandadundee.org%2Fnews-and-blog%2Fblog%2Fopening-date&psig=AOvVaw1mSZn0LmhmAhtSYWaNcWT_&ust=1536882666848378

I'm quite into my contemporary art and architecture but I can't belive anyone would consider that monstrosity of a building anything other than a giant carbunkle on the landscape.  What on earth kind of drugs have I not been taking the rest of the world have, which I see that in certain angles resembles a ships hull -but is such a thouroughly ugly interpretation of it from what I've seen so far.

The ammout of taxpayers money put into funding this building is quite frightening regardless.  What am I missing -what drugs should I be taking? I just got new specs -should I have got the "rose tinted" ones as the free second pair?  Should I ask for them on the government?

It looks to me a bad idea from the 70's and due for demolition / redevelopment already.  It seems such a shame to me, Dundee  waterfront deserves so much better than this!

The media absolutely loves it (the Scottish ones have to I guess after all the money spent).  Everyone I know is less than impressed though I don't know anyone to ask in Dundee at the moment.

...What do you think of it? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:15:57 am »

The Japanese Architect said
he got the idea from some
Scottish Sea Cliffs.
Think it's the Maritime theme
of the area that makes it seem
to resemble a ship.
The Deep in Hull looks a lot better
IMHO

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:02:09 am »

Hideous. 

At a cost of 80 million according to the bias broadcasting corporation who are just the propaganda department of today's incompetent government.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:25:10 pm »

I'm of the opinion that we should never build anything new in the UK.

Nothing.

Not even a shed.

It doesn't matter what gets built (not just building, roads, railways, anything), someone will hate it so why bother?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:52:34 pm »

My first reaction when I viewed it on the tele last night was along the lines of a building made to resemble a trench wall constructed from sandbags; the intervening 24 hours has not changed my view one iota.

Furthermore, surly this will be a top contender for the "carbuncle Cup" when the next awards are announced.

LB

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 05:24:12 pm »

A fraction of the cost of the VnA could have been been slide towards preserving the lightship that used to be in  Dundee harbour. Is it still there ? Is it in good order ?
..well can you land on this?

RST

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:44:23 pm »

I thought I'd be slated saying it was hideous but apparently not...
A fraction of the cost of the VnA could have been been slide towards preserving the lightship that used to be in  Dundee harbour. Is it still there ? Is it in good order ?

I used to climb all over the "North Carr" when it was in Anstruther when I was growing up (a staple weekend visit).  Pert of the museum.  Saw it a few years ago and thought "good grief" totally rotten and uncared for in Dundee, same as the Unicorn.  There was another tug just rotting around the corner -the Sea Trojan, just lying rotting.  Iused to have a Metcalf hull for the Trojan but sold it on.

I must admit I havent been to Dundee for a few years so I hope it's coming back out of the charity shop mess it was in. But this building is totally "off".

I'm watching a programme on ITV on it now and it's doing nothing for me.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:14:20 pm »

I quite like it.......at least it will be a talking point for years and will bring people in to the area...…….spending money...………..no bad thing.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:06:34 am »

Bet the seabirds will find a way to populate the "cliffs". O0 {-)   Any news of the lightship and others.  Will model boats be allowed in the watery bits of the building`s design ?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 10:16:22 am »

It only takes a quick Googling to find out the status of the lightship. Now owned by a charity who are looking for funding to restore it. Condition is described as mainly surface corrosion externally just needing stripped back to bare metal and repainted. Internally it appears in reasonable condition.As for the pond at the V&A I have heard that the Dundee club has been approached to possibly put on a days display.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 03:45:43 pm »

Thanks Jim, good to know on both. :-))

RST

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 01:56:43 am »

I have said for years now it was wrong to move the North Carr as it was iconic in the village harbour, but looking back these days I remember it when it was probably relatively soon after service and it needed to go somewhere and it must be an expensive relic.  I do think the museum is short without it ever since though.  I hope in Dundee it can be presented as good some day as it was years ago.  It's good to hear It's in "good shape" though.  I would hope some proper money gets sidelined for boats in the harbour considering that monstrositty of a building bult next to the docks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 23 queries.