Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastikote varnish - again?  (Read 1715 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Plastikote varnish - again?
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:33:37 pm »

I note that there have been several problems that have featured with Plastikote varnish.
I want to finish a small model with a light dusting of something satin. The model is painted with Vallejo acrylics. Two of the options are Plastikote Polyurethane Varnish or Plastikote Acrylic Sealer.
I know that some of the Plastikote range have been re-formulated, so has anyone used either of them recently with trouble free results?
Thanks
Tony

Stavros

Re: Plastikote varnish - again?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:56:12 pm »

Still as problamatic as ever........try a test peice of Halfords laquer they do a satin one

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 10:17:13 pm »

I have used it for years.  Never had any problems.  No reaction with any paint I've used.  Acrylic, enamel etc.  Gives an excellent protective finish.

Just make sure it is indeed "Plastikote Polyurethane Varnish", as EU rules a while back tried to force all varnish manufacturers to switch to water based (useless) for "safety reasons".

At the time I built up a stock, just in case.  However, happily, I can still find it for sale online - although no longer sold at places like B&Q.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:43:47 pm »

Thanks Bob. I read your saga of the varnish and that was one of the reasons for the question :-))
Thanks Dave.
As an aside, how does Hycote compare to Halfords for the basic primers/black 'n white etc? Reason for the question is that I buy the stuff for the shop I work in and it would be nice to know whether it's good/fair/**@*
Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 23 queries.