Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clinker  (Read 2841 times)

rosinante

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Clinker
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:54:21 pm »

Hi chaps , are thre any plans , drawings available in 1:12 format for a 27 ft Montagu whaler,, also as Iam trying to build it as a faithful  miniature, so is the clinker hull in this scale a feasible project , Iam retired so time is not an issue also I have the equipment to cut and dimension wood , also a stock of suitable timber , just got some lime , also have holly , and various fruit woods, this is a display only model , any help  welcome , I am in East Cornwall , are there any clubs , met etc in this area,Thanks
Chris

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Clinker
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:10:07 pm »

Can't help with the plans I'm afraid, but a clinker hull 27" long is certainly feasible.  I am in the early stages of doing Vic Smeed's River Queen, a 36" clinker boat.  I have only done a test piece so far (I have never done a clinker hull before so thought I'd practice first), but rough as that is, it shows it can be done.  Also look at Jerry's Steam Launch Wear and this build of Wide-a-Wake.  Both a little bigger than you are contemplating, but similar enough to prove the point.  And please consider posting your progress on here, we all love to see a fine craft taking shape.  O0
Happy Modelling!

Greg

rosinante

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:45:21 pm »

Hi thanks for reply , it's encouraging to know it's doable,  here's a pic of the bench being readied, also one of the whaler in my RN handbook, just need plans now , and a lot more skill and knowledge,
Chris

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:00:41 pm »

This is a picture of HMS Worcester’s whaler after its rebuild. It was in the battle of Jutland and was in a sorry state.
Below are our two shipwrights Mr. Parker and Mr. McKinnon who over a year totally rebuilt her. The only original parts on her were the tiller and yolk.
Mr Parker later went on to oversee the re-decking of HMS Belfast. Next to the ships bell on the quarterdeck is s plaque describing the work and crediting him. I took great interest in the whaler rebuilt and assisted in most of the riveting and that experience gave me the knowhow to scratch built SL Wear.

Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:03:46 pm »

Forgot to say, that’s the whaler Mr McKinnon is leaning on, as you can see it’s all brand new.
Jerry.

rosinante

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:08:46 pm »

Excellent , why aren't there models of these boats,  is it because they could only be display models?

Chris

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:46:39 pm »

Absolutely no reason why you can’t sail your model. You would need to alter the Center plate to a longer keel with a weight but this could be removed for display purposes.
Forget about putting copper  nails and rooves  at that scale. Imitate them with Indian ink. Since the sixties most clinker boats are glued construction.
Whalers have a lovely shape and sail very well. I loved Sailing that one as a boy.
My own dinghy was a West Coast of England Redwing One design. That was also clinker built. This was mine which I kept at Worcester during the summer terms. And I’m Sailing her aged 14.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:48:16 pm »

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:49:27 pm »

Haven’t got the hang of posting photos yet. Sorry.
Jerry.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 01:10:54 am »

Hi Chris

Clinker at this size is certainly feasible.The one thing you need as a start point is a 'mould'.This is basically a form the shape of the boat minus the thickness of the ribs.The model is then built upside down.The ribs fitted around the former then the keel is fitted and then the planking.Then the model is removed from the mould.That is the rough basics but to go into detail would run into pages.Below are pictures of a ship's boat I made for one of my static models.Scratchbuilt from boxwood 0.6mm thick.The model is five and a half inches long.Apologies for my poor pics.

Regards

Nigel

rosinante

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 06:45:32 am »

Thank you for your reply, I was wondering about a mould, am waiting the plans now from model dockyard,
Thanks
Chris

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 08:39:06 am »

This was built from a much modified Harold Underhill Smacks Dinghy plan.

rosinante

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 10:46:41 am »

Excellent , that's what I aspire to ,
Chris

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 11:21:23 am »

Sorry, just realised I posted the same link twice.  The Wide-a-Wake link is this one.
Lovely work bench, looks like you know how to fettle a piece of wood! A clinker hull should be well within your capabilities.   :-))

Greg

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 11:59:58 am »

Excellent , that's what I aspire to ,
Chris

The jig was made from plasticard cut to the station profiles on the Underhill drawing.  The edges of the profiles were marked out by dividing equally to give the number of planks I wanted so the plank widths could then be measured off.  The planks were immersed in hot water for around five minutes before gluing in place and then the planks were left over night so I only did a plank on each side at a time.  The planks were held down by clamps and elastic bands while the glue set.  The internals are then all very straightforward.  Then I amended the jig into a double ended configuration for the lifeboat.  It took around three months of spare time to make each boat but it could be done in much less of course if you were working on them every day.  The complete build process was covered in Model Boat Magazine, May 2009.

rosinante

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 05:43:31 pm »

Ok it's been a while I now have the mancave and bench complete, Ihave had the drawings in my naval ratings manual enlarged and printed to actual model scale, my next question is given the length is 27ft and the beam is 6ft how would I go about  drawing the hull sections?
I have boards of cherry and Holly for the planking and keel etc how would I establish the final thickness and width of frames and planking?
Cheers

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 06:49:00 pm »

"Ok it's been a while I now have the mancave and bench complete, Ihave had the drawings in my naval ratings manual enlarged and printed to actual model scale, my next question is given the length is 27ft and the beam is 6ft how would I go about  drawing the hull sections?
I have boards of cherry and Holly for the planking and keel etc how would I establish the final thickness and width of frames and planking?
Cheers"

Hi  I have a small scale plan of the 27ft Whaler - on a4 - part of a series by Norman Ough from 1959 Model Maker- That shows the lines/stations  clearly - has a scale for size and can be enlarged  to suit . Should be able to scan and send as a pdf . Contact me via a pm . Need your email address to send. Have most of the other ships boats from the same series if you need.

rosinante

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 07:22:42 pm »

Thanks for reply , pm sent
Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.