Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trimming GRP hulls  (Read 2286 times)

Wykenwizard

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Trimming GRP hulls
« on: September 19, 2018, 07:53:37 am »

Hi, this is my first post. I am located in Grimsby so as you might expect I have a prime interest in building model trawlers. I have in the past made them in various sizes with wood and even card. However, I have recently bought two kits. The first was the steam trawler “Sisapon” from Deans Marine. I found it reasonably easy to put together despite several anomalies in the instructions which I suspect could easily traumatise a complete novice. On the whole though it is a decent kit and I enjoyed building it immensely. My second kit, which I haven’t yet started is Calder Craft’s “Milford Star”. It looks on first inspection to be a decent kit, however, comparison between the plan and the GRP hull indicates that the top of the Hull needs trimming. There seems to be about 6mm of excess material. My question is, how best to trim it? I have various tools that I have considered, these being a Dremel with a cut off disk, a razor saw, or something I have used with much success ( a jewellers saw) for piercing halfpennies making cut outs to leave just the sailing ship. I am thinking that in terms of accuracy the jewellers saw with a spiral blade might be the best option, although I suspect it will take several hours. Does anyone have a better solution? I would be very grateful for any help regarding this issue or indeed any other issues I might encounter with this kit.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: Trimming GRP hulls
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:13:57 am »

I have found the drum sanders on a Dremmel work very quickly. Glass fibre can be pretty abrasive stuff to cutting tools so the small, metal slitting wheels on the Dremmel probably wouldn't last that long.

Take it outside if you can and sand it away with the drum sander.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:34 am »

I use a surform
https://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-surform-block-plane/30195_BQ.prd

Simple easy to use and easier by far to control than a Dremel

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 10:17:15 am »

I use a multi tool with the half round saw blade fitted, the blade keeps you going in a straight line.
Small areas I use the narrow straight blade, but whatever you decide to use don't forget to use
a descent face mask.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:06:35 am »

Blank n Decker mouse sander, starting off with a very course grade.

( Caution! Course grades tend to swear a lot! 😁 ) 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »

I go with john.  A multitool with a fine semi circular blade would be my choice. Mine is li-on battery with a speed control which makes for a nice easy cut.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:20:04 pm »

I recently needed to cut a fibreglass hull in half.

I used a Dremel with diamond-dust rotary cutting disks.  It took two disks as they blunt fast on this stuff.
Made an excellent job.  Finished it off with a light dressing from a flat Surform.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Wykenwizard

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 03:38:42 pm »

Many thanks to everyone that responded to my query. I am happy to say that the hull is now trimmed successfully using the Dremel sanding drums. It worked perfectly well and allowed for a very accurate finish after finishing with a sanding block.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »

In my experience the hardest part of the trimming operation is the accurate marking out of the hull and it pays to first make a stand to hold the hull square and secure. I am allergic to grp dust. :o

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 10:19:57 pm »

I use abrasive cutting wheels, then finish with Permagrit tools and sanding blocks.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 12:30:05 am »

if you own a jig saw that takes bosch blades use the bosch diamond tipped blades...……….they DON'T wear out.

http://www.diamondblades.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=46_134&products_id=235&zenid=a64282af34f7c553c070106d8189e791
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.