Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Something silly ( suitcase boat )  (Read 5373 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Something silly ( suitcase boat )
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:53:55 pm »

I have a silly request.  Can anyone recommend a small two channel model boat, capable of being protectively boxed inside a suitcase otherwise filled with other stuff like clothes.  Weird?  Yes. But there is a reason.

My wife and I will be going somewhere mega exotic in a few weeks, meaning I will miss four sailing sessions.
To prevent withdrawal symptoms this must be very small (especially the transmitter - preferably micro-copter size).  Must be suitable for salt water use near fine coral sand and 32'C operation.

No, my Agincourt would be well beyond the baggage allowance.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Something silly
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:58 pm »

Check for frequency allocations
in the Exotic Area.
They do tend to differ in some places.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »

Your radio equipment will be your problem, even batteries will raise eyebrows at some security desks. Where are you bound in the world , if I may ask ?  Are you flying ?   Mega probs at certain/most airports. :police:   Red Oktober travelled "bare" i.e. none of the afore- mentioned bits and had livery that was not popular in some countries. Cabin luggage better as easier to play the village idiot :o  with toy boat to sour faced numpty at border control, even UK border coming back ! <*<    Red O flew in rucksack in carry-on passenger cabin status when not posted or freighted. 
..well can you land on this?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:42:23 pm »

Is the destination remote, as well as exotic? Just wondering whether you could buy out there, or visit a model boat club if one existed?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:12 pm »

I have a silly request.  Can anyone recommend a small two channel model boat, capable of being protectively boxed inside a suitcase otherwise filled with other stuff like clothes.  Weird?  Yes. But there is a reason.

My wife and I will be going somewhere mega exotic in a few weeks, meaning I will miss four sailing sessions.
To prevent withdrawal symptoms this must be very small (especially the transmitter - preferably micro-copter size).  Must be suitable for salt water use near fine coral sand and 32'C operation.

No, my Agincourt would be well beyond the baggage allowance.

how about a nice little aerokits Sea Nymph.....easy to build      http://lesromodels.co.uk/product/aerokits-sea-nymph/      think they are about 18" long maximum.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 07:21:35 pm »

Barrie:  Now that is neat.  Very tiny, it works, and at just over a Tenner no problem if Customs throw it out.

A tiny atoll in the Indian Ocean, many miles from anywhere, so limited transmitter range an advantage.
Yes, we will be flying, including a 40 minute seaplane leg.  Think Robinson Crusoe, but on Champagne.

I've seen plenty of videos taken by people with drones there, so such things can be done.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 08:17:57 pm »

Took my Springer tug as carry on, 9" x 12.75" x 20.75" (229mm w x 324mm h x 527mm L)
 The 6v gel cells were in the box under the stern, wrapped in zip lock bags.
The transmitter was also in the box with no batteries.
The funny thing is, the boat passed Xray, but my bottle of water, and bottle of cola were confiscated.
The transmitter was a compact heli 2.4ghz, and had limited range.

:o

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 10:21:46 pm »

i would worry about anything RTR working effectively for very long in salt water.  why not just enjoy the scenery, instead of trying to change the scenery to what you want to see?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Something silly ( suitcase boat )
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:52:48 am »

What would make life easier is a boat you can control from your phone, that way you don't need to take a separate transmitter.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 09:23:03 am »

What would make life easier is a boat you can control from your phone, that way you don't need to take a separate transmitter.

That sounds interesting.  Can this be done, and if so how?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 09:27:20 am »

That sounds interesting.  Can this be done, and if so how?

I've seen App controlled RC cars and Drones so boats must be possible.  I think you replace the receiver with a Wi-Fi circuit.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 03:48:11 pm »

hobbyking used to sell a 4 channel receiver that showed up as a wifi hotspot for an android or ios device.  you could then download "car" or "plane" apps to run the servos connected to the receiver...

I bought one and tested it in a boat.   very first time out on the lake, halfway across the lake, it lost connection... only had about 150 foot range.  that is when i found out the receiver did not offer any type of failsafe.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 07:25:11 pm »

Well this sounds possible, although a technical challenge.

I love challenges.  It would be nice to achieve within the available timespan

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:55:06 pm »

one thing that might have escaped you all...………...are sealed batteries allowed on airplanes...……….long time since I flew on one...….1984 to be exact %% {:-{

could do with a nice long haul flight to some sun...………….Bondi beach at new year, perhaps

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 10:11:50 pm »

could do with a nice long haul flight to some sun...………….Bondi beach at new year, perhaps

Go for it Neil.  It has been almost ten years since my wife and I have had a holiday.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 10:13:16 pm »

Well this sounds possible, although a technical challenge.

I love challenges.  It would be nice to achieve within the available timespan

modern electronics like an esp32 would be able to appear to your phone as a hotspot, and decode the info to run a few servos...  but you would need to be able to write your own app for the android or ios device to feed the right data to the esp32

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »

How about a folding drone fitted with inflatable floats? no need for rc if they run on gps mode, very compact and a nice new toy for when you get back  :-)
Of course you might be taken for a spy and shot  :(( [size=78%] [/size]

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 04:21:27 pm »

Why not just leave the boats at home and spend some valuable time with the better half? Or am I just being an old romantic %%

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 05:31:18 pm »

My lovely Commander in Chief Home Forces has become used to my sailing boats on Thursdays and Sundays, so why disturb the equilibrium of her expectations?   I am going to sail something, even if it is just an Origami paper boat with a plastic straw filled with Bicarb tablets for propulsion.  Solar cells could replace batteries (there is a LOT of sun there.)    Would NASA have gone all the way to the Moon without planning an EVA?  No.

I am now thinking a lightweight pre-fab balsa Springer of about 200 mm.  Glue together on site.  Micro 1.5V motor, solar cells.  Just need to figure out steering.  Perhaps a vane system like early yachts.  Before return dump balsa bits and just bring home the electrics.  The Indian Ocean looks an idyllic boating lake.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 06:12:32 pm »

%)
152mm, AA battery x4, micro servo, 10a Esc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 06:36:29 pm »

I'm amazed! If I took my Wife on holiday to the Indian Ocean and insistd on taking a radio controlled toy along it would be legitimate grounds for divorce!
My Wife is very tolerant of my hobby but, not unreasonably, expects me to practise it in moderation which I think is only fair. On holiday means on holiday!

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »

Why not a small vane yacht Bob and forget the propulsion bit.Years ago there was a freeby plan in MB for one about 12" long which sailed beautifully with the gear essentially being just 2 cogs as the pic.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 08:44:09 pm »

Have been toying with a 3d printed mircospringer project as any conventional model-building is taking fifth place to work, travelling for work, DIY, gardening,.....

Still in the design stage - but hopefully the prototype is ready for next year. (hull / superstructure needs to go on a diet at the moment)

Just watch customs, security and any airline you are travelling on if you do take a RC boat with you. (Even in the UK I have had a 1 day work trip on a plane extended to five days by roads and ferries because the airline refused to carry some equipment).

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 09:12:52 pm »

I'd go for a tear into or Graupner jet sprint, tiny and bags of fun!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.