Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Something silly ( suitcase boat )  (Read 5401 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Something silly ( suitcase boat )
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 10:32:30 pm »

Thanks all for ideas so far, but I need something which will not get chucked out by Customs, hence going for solar cells rather than a battery.  I have been trawling the 'Net looking for a micro sized TX and controls.
No luck so far.  If push comes to shove it may have to be a solar straight-runner, with an on/off switch rather than ESC & Rx. 

I will pop into Mantua Models tomorrow for some ideas.  Vert small and simple is the key,
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2018, 10:47:48 pm »

Why not just enjoy the holiday Bob?

Surely you can manage without a model boating fix for a week or so. And no issues with security screening finding unusual electronics in your baggage with all the grief that might bring.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 12:46:10 pm »

Colin,

With respect, you are missing the point.  Since I retired I have less reason for leaving the house.  I took up building boats as a means to employ my creativity and to occupy much of my new-found free time.  My wife still works full time, thus sailing boats has became a key motivation for getting me out into the fresh air and making new friends. 

Not having been able to have a holiday in almost ten years, it has been that apart from things like shopping and social events the only times I actually get out of the house is for my twice weekly sailing sessions.  Venturing out has thus become synonymous with sunshine, water and small ships.  Thinking of a holiday with sunshine and a vast expanse of calm blue water the only missing ingredient appears to be a tall ship and a star to sail her by.

Therefore a simple ship, capable of air transport, would assist an even deeper feeling of relaxation and contentment.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »

My big solar panel arrived today, but unfortunately did not have enough power to turn a tiny 3V motor.
I am running out of options, and time.  Any traditional Tx with electronics and a load of batteries will not get past Customs / security.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 02:17:55 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong but only cabin luggage gets checked/X rayed/scanned. If you can put batteries in your main suitcase which goes straight onto the plane.
Saying that, when I go abroad my hand luggage is my camera case, 2 x SLR's, 6 lenses, several batteries and several chargers along with an assortment of AA, AAA, C and D cell batteries, never been stopped or asked questions once.
Worth a phone call to either the airport your flying from or the airline you are flying with.
It's not as though you are the 'stereotypical terrorist' ?
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 03:43:56 pm »

Hold baggage most certainly gets scanned! Plenty of info online. You are recommended to put all your electronics and electrical items into your hand baggage as these can be checked in more detail when you go through security when you are present whereas any suspicious items that cannot be easiy identified in your hold luggage may well result in your case being opened before it is allowed on the plane, forcibly if it is padlocked. If you are flying to the USA you must either leave your case unlocked or use approved locks to which the US authorities have master keys.
Putting any sort of radio or electronic gear in your hold luggage is rather tempting fate! Plus, the way the handlers sling the cases around it could easily be damaged. Also, I believe that the machines which scan the hold luggage are a lot more powerful than those that scan hand luggage so damage can result that way too. You may remember being told years ago not to put undeveloped film into hold luggage as it would most likely be fogged.

As far as looking like a terrorist is concerned, checks are also made on a random basis which is very irritating when, as an obvious pensioner, you are asked to remove your shoes and undergo a full body scan which has happened to me on more than one occasion.

Airports do have different procedures as to when you go through security. At Singapore it is when you go through to the gate. At Cairo last year we were checked three times before boarding the plane which was probably quite reassuring as they did it very thoroughly.
In answer to Bob's query, you may be able to get a TX/RX and batteries through security but be prepared for a lot of intense questioning and at worse for the gear to be confiscated. Definitely worth checking with the airline and airport on that one!

Colin
PS: Google 'radio control toys in luggage' - lots of conflicting advice depending on airline etc. especially regarding batteries so definitely best to check!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 05:48:37 pm »

You are of course correct Colin.  That is what makes this doubly challenging, and hence solar power was my first option.  Both boat and Tx need to be very small.  As a back-up I have ordered a micro boat 3 inches long, with an equally tiny TX.  4 x AAA batteries to be stored separately for transit.

If I have time I will try to construct a plank on frame Dhoni boat (typical in the region) into which I can adapt the electrics.
Packed in a wood case, materials neutral to X-rays, apart from tiny motor & propshaft.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 06:18:51 pm »

That's a nice boat Bob - Maldives is it then?
Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 06:48:51 pm »

That's a nice boat Bob - Maldives is it then?
Colin

Ooops, that was a give away.  Maybe I'll be the first member of the MMBC ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 06:59:34 pm »

Certainly the place to relax by all accounts.
Colin

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 09:58:51 am »

Maybe with the location it’ll be an opportunity to play with real boats for a change....

But I do agree with Colin, stick it in your hand luggage if possible - I wouldn’t trust luggage handlers with anything fragile and being able to explain its inclusion is better than it being flagged up later on.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 02:29:36 pm »

Well, here is the backup Micro Boat.  Less than three inches long.  Twin motors / props.
Transmitter also very small.  Takes 4 x AAA batteries.  Boat charges from Tx.
Batteries and removable aerial to be transported separately.

At less than a Tenner it's not a disaster if airport security confiscates it.

I have really tried to find a hull that I can adapt to be a Dhoni, but searching Mantua & Amati nothing remotely similar.  Googled other sources but no luck.  With little time remaining I may have to just take the Micro Boat and build the plank on frame Dhoni after I get back.  I will have plenty of opportunity to research Dhoni boats whilst out there.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 12:49:33 pm »

The tiny RC boat has just returned from its Indian Ocean mini-cruise.  Nor quite what I had aimed for, but it performed its task well.

Now I am switching to a new topic thread for my next project, inspired by boats we sailed on whilst there.
A Dhoni.  Totally unique in style and character.

The hull shape and rudder system is so unusual that this will have to be a scratch build plank on frame.  I am searching for plans, but so far no success.  Watch for progress on new topic "Dhoni".
The rudder mountings are made from cord lacings, and the tiller bar is foot operated.
I am aiming for a half meter length. approx. 1:33 scale

Wish me luck  O0

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »

Good luck indeed, very interesting, the prow is reminiscent of a Viking ship, the saloon of an Edwardian steam launch and the stern of KonTiki, should be fun :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 04:12:12 pm »

Yeh, but was it a good hols? :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 06:26:32 pm »

Brilliant Tony.  Thank you.  A tiny island called Kanifushi.  The only amenity lacking was model boating.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.