Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Drilling & Milling Machine  (Read 1897 times)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Mini Drilling & Milling Machine
« on: October 05, 2018, 02:22:10 pm »

Hi all I am thinking of buying a milling machine, I have never had a milling machine before so looking for a bit of advice on makes and quality. I have looked at the Sealey SM2502 Mini Drilling & Milling Machine it looks a decent machine, what are your thoughts on this or if any one knows of a better machine for that sort of price.  any advice would be most welcome.

Brian

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Mini Drilling & Milling Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:55:33 pm »

Be okay for light work. If you want to do anything heavy forget it.

Lathe still ranks as the most universal machine in my book, as you can carry out light milling, drilling and turning operations.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:49:06 pm »

I agree, it all depends on what you want / will want to do. A small lathe (Emco--ish) gives you much more versatility.
Just a thought
Steamed up all the time

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:08:25 pm »

Thanks, I will give your comments some thought.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:29:31 am »

That setup won't be accurate to fractions either imperial thousands or decimals. It'llbe ok for tolerances down to say .5mm, but the simple fact it has a Jacobs type chuck means there will always be some run out, so if you are using end mills or slotting drills, don't expect if you are cutting slots/grooves for it to be really accurate. A true milling machine would have the tools attached directly to the drive shaft via a taper shank for stiffness accuracy.
However for modelling work, I doubt you would need such accuracy, unless of course you are making your own bearings or other close tolerance parts.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:05:23 am »

You can purchase a collet chuck for these, but as with most new machines, costs can quickly tick-up once you start adding accessories.

A good secondhand machine will often come bundled with many of these items. Most of my machinery is purchased secondhand.

Treble

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »

Much more information required please regarding space available, duties of machine etc before meaningful suggestions can be made . Having said that , suggest you will find it useful to initially  visit Axminster Power Tools web page . Go to machinery ,  milling machines , how to choose a milling machine . Having read the recommendations , if you do still decide on a milling machine , then would suggest for new you look at Axminster and Arceurotrade  and for used ( my preference ) look at Quillstar . With milling machines bigger and more substantial construction really is bether .  Please note that the three jaw chuck described on your machine will not be strong enough to safely securely hold milling cutters . Believe however ,  a lathe should be your first choice . You can mill on a lathe , but you can't turn on a mill. Trevor.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 04:03:18 pm »

Brian, is your passport still valid? and have you had all your vaccinations.   I know the farmer has forgiven for you for trying to steal all the sheep the last time you came over here :-)

Taken that your passport is still valid - have you thought about going to Jarrow.   There is a small unit there http://www.bedetools.com/  I have dealt with them years ago when I bought my Lathe (made in China) you know the ones I mean - it has the milling head attachment - I got this reasonably priced - they do some good deals - they also sell a lot of other stuff.    So, if you haven't been there before - you can be prepared to spend a bit of time looking around.   Then you will need to pay the exit fee at the tunnel (to compensate us putting up with you ;-) ) after that your car will be searched for sheep.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:39:06 pm »

Brian, is your passport still valid? and have you had all your vaccinations.   I know the farmer has forgiven for you for trying to steal all the sheep the last time you came over here :-)

Taken that your passport is still valid - have you thought about going to Jarrow.   There is a small unit there http://www.bedetools.com/  I have dealt with them years ago when I bought my Lathe (made in China) you know the ones I mean - it has the milling head attachment - I got this reasonably priced - they do some good deals - they also sell a lot of other stuff.    So, if you haven't been there before - you can be prepared to spend a bit of time looking around.   Then you will need to pay the exit fee at the tunnel (to compensate us putting up with you ;-) ) after that your car will be searched for sheep.

John

LOL you haven't changed John  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.