Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit or Scratch Build - Why?  (Read 37229 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Kit or Scratch Build - Why?
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2007, 08:55:42 am »

Thanks for stepping in Chingdevil.

OK..... I'll spend a couple of hours reading through this thread and all the associated emails - delete ANYTHING that is not directly related to the subject - "Kit or Scratch Build - Why?"

Martin 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2007, 11:51:29 am »

Right, that's tidied it up a bit!   >:(

My original purpose for this thread was to encourage forum members to share their personal experiences with build any sort of model boat and why they've ended up with their current method of construction.  No particular discipline is "The best way to do it", it just your preferred method of achieving the results your happy with and lets leave it at that.

Remember, on Model Boat Mayhem we encourage a positive attitude to model boating and a safe harbour for model boats…… that quite a good maxim, I might use that again!

So lets  extol the various virtues of each discipline in order to encourage other to have a try too!

Topic unlocked..... but I've got my eyes on you lot!    :D

Martin  O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

merlin

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2007, 01:31:13 pm »

As a model boat builder with some experience (started at 4yrs old, now 60, you work it out ) I find myself in agreement with many of the sentiments expressed. This is a hobby for most, and it is full of individuals al! with differing opinions on how to obtain enjoyment for themselves.       
THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.      Nobody should be told that they are right or wrong to enjoy this wonderful hobby in whatever way they choose!

I will point out that modellers are not dragged kicking and screaming to the judging table, or forced to take part in a regatta, it is a matter of choice for the individual if they wish to gain enjoyment in this way,and as such MUST be respected by everyone else.

Lastly I must say that probably all our hobby's traders and many professional builders were hobbyist's once!, and that without their input we would not have a debate on this subject.

For the record I have built from scratch to kit and back again, and used most materials available to the modelmaker in the doing so! 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2007, 01:40:22 pm »

Via email....
I've been Scratch Building For the last 30 years.

Why 1) Couldn't find Kits of the models or types of models I wanted to build.

2) Got fed up with rivet counters telling me that this or that wasn't right.

So now I build ships the way I think they should be of types the rivet counters know little or nothing about, that gives me a lot of enjoyment and     very little hassle. And after well over 50 years at sea as a seaman, navigator and master in most types of v/l’s From The Grey funnel line to Tall ships, fishing in the White sea on steam trawlers and in the southern ocean on Whale catchers in the 60’s  to tramp steamers, train ferries, coasters and survey and research v/l’s I like to think I know a little about ships and the way they should look.

Last Three Builds 1) Early Masted Iron clad warship “Sultan”(plated with old beer cans “good sorce of thin aluminium” Elec Powered)

2) 17th Century armed naval cutter/dispatch v/l.”Merlin”

3) Privateer Brigatene “Freebooter”

Jimmy - Ye Olde Shellback

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2007, 02:31:04 pm »

Via Email...

Hi Martin  not been building that long,  3 years.

Firstly purchased a model from E-Bay which some one had built to see if
I would like the Hobby, well I did. I am now restoring the e-bay model
which is a wood built Puffer, when this is done I will truly feel the
model is mine if you know what I mean.

Second model was a kit of a River star Tug, good one for beginners

Thirdly a 1/12th Lifeboat semi scratch as the hull and deck were pre made
Which I suppose the majority would be for beginners,Found that a challenge,
But when I see it on the water, my chest nearly sticks out further than my Stomach.

Fourth model waiting on me is a Vosper series III from Deans.
Been in the cupboard, nearly a year. Six weeks and I will be starting her.

The scratch building was a trial required Brain power only just qualify,

After the Vosper need to chose my next model carefully, would love a
reasonable size model of HMS Hood, that would take me into retirement
And be enough models,  ??????

I wish I had looked at this hobby before and not so late in life.
As I find it makes me think and also give you a release from every day Trials.

Hope this little bit helps.  See you at Warwick

MCat

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2007, 02:32:45 pm »

Via Email...
I buy the hull for omra/fsrv  type boats and then build to suit from purchased parts from selected suppliers.
Last 3 this year - Cherokee chief mk2 and two hulls from Prestwich multiboat range.

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2007, 03:04:09 pm »

Via Email...
I tend to build from scratch, reason -- I cant afford to buy kits. Last three builds are Louis Heloise, Y2k, and  (many years ago...Panache.) I am a bit better off now than I was when I started building, Had a family to bring up. some people may remember that thing called??? work...and now I have a garage to play in..So really my circumstances have changed, I`m looking at buying a kit, but then what else could I do with the £270...Best of luck with your survay,,, best wishes   Ken

spoons

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2007, 03:48:52 pm »

I havent been into building as long as most, well i suppose you can say i havent even been in a dog watch yet as i have only been doing it for about two years. I prefer semi kits and am particularly fond of sirmar as there is a vast range of fittings to choose from so you can then decide at what era you want to build the ship.

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2007, 08:00:10 pm »

Hi everyone, all my models to date have been built from kits altough I intend to build a scratch built boat some day!
last three models are Antje, G.T's narrowboat and the Milfordstar. the reason why I perfer kits is I have most of the bits what I need in the box without having to source them. cheers for now Les>

gerrybuilt

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2007, 10:27:42 pm »

Hi Gerry - updating my Bismarck build now - Martin Builds the Bismarck!   :D

Does this count as kit?!?!

A kit is a kit, wheather it comes in one box, or on the never never!!

How is your superstructure comming on?

Regards

Gerry

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2007, 03:10:45 am »

Tried a kit years ago (Amsterdam) and thought that I could almost do the thing from scratch – just as well. It did show me a few techniques and I picked up more from magazines and forums. The lack of a good selection of kits and fittings out here (NZ) and a decision to stick with 1/50 also helped push me to scratch-building. I probably spend much more on materials than I would on a kit and my boats are not as finely detailed as some kits but I like to have something unique.
Last 3 builds have been from shipyard plans:
Kupe - local Wellington harbour 1970s tug
Henry Cates X - modern Vancouver harbour tug
Christian Rheinauer - American ATB tug

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2007, 10:09:10 am »

For the type of boats I like to build, which are fast I/C powered boats, (Not as fast as they should be normally it has to be said!) GRP, or more recently Epoxy Resin hulls are the way forward.
Might even be Kevlar and Carbon Fibre one day soon.

Last three boats:

Prestwich Lightning. (Old FSRV fun boat)
Miami off shore boat.
Prestwich Panther.

Regards,

Glenn Barker

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2007, 01:54:56 pm »

I don't have a preference so haven't voted! I have done scratch, built from hull and templates and built kits. Depends what I want to build and what format that is available in.

Barrie

Hornblower1948

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2007, 02:36:25 pm »

Prefer scratch building..... then you've only yourself to blame if it sinks  ::)

1/125 Titanic  on my slipway at the moment.... Keeping a sharp lookout for icebergs.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2007, 02:51:55 pm »

Prefer scratch building..... then you've only yourself to blame if it sinks  ::)

1/125 Titanic  on my slipway at the moment.... Keeping a sharp lookout for icebergs.

Has anyone ever made a model of the Iceberg? An IC Iceberg how "cool" would that be!   :D

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2007, 02:57:44 pm »

Has anyone ever made a model of the Iceberg? An IC Iceberg how "cool" would that be!   :D

I did but SWMBO wouldn't let me keep it in the freezer  O0
Don't Assume Check

mac.one

• Shipmate
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2007, 05:20:09 pm »

Hi All
         Have done both probably prefer scratch on grp hull.
Currently doing total rebuild on an old Graupner kit fireboat wesser when finished she will come with gas tight bridge as she was after her major refit
         Last 3 builds have all been submarines a Victor 2 class on a grp hull an engel lafayette and the engel U47 all had static dive systems.I probably enjoyed the Victor 2 build the most as i had to source all the drawings and pic's myself. The hunt for information can be as exciting as the build.
         As to what's next i keep promising myself i'll start my fleetscale Bismarck I know it's going to be a long build and yes i've been researching the ship for years.
                                             Regards Julian.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2007, 05:40:02 pm »

Hi all, model shops devoted to aircraft are still in business and sell kits, probably lots in fact.
Perhaps our model boat shops went out of business with just a few exceptions because we have been scratch building for quite a few years now.
We just want the R.C. motor and props, glue etc.  There is not much business in selling the etc.!

I visit our model aircraft shop for ply, but not large pieces and find other uses for the many little packets of bits.  I used to stock up on ply at the RAF Halton show.  Not sure where to go now.
regards to all Roy

Stewpo28

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2007, 06:26:02 pm »

My first attemp was a Grp hull off ebay and I scratched built the rest it ended up a gub boat of some kind or other  but it WORKED . second attempt was a Mtb from George turner it was a kit and my latest which I had a little trouble with but sorted it out was a little Clyde Puffer ki from Model Slipway Super little kit and it looks superb on the Lake.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2007, 09:52:11 pm »

Following on from Roys theme about almost ready to fly planes. I was in our local model shop on a Saturday morning sometime ago when in comes a rather irate customer.

His complaint was that the ARTF he had bought the previous day had flown away on her first test flight and it must be the fault of the tranny or receiver. The shop assistant calmly asked him to produce his receipt which he did and it was then pointed out that he had bought the model at 3-30pm the day before. So asked the customer?

If your read the instructions it tells you quite clearly that you must charge the batteries for 24 hours on the first charge replied the assistant.

I watched gob smacked as he produced his plastic and bought another plane to try again.

After he had gone the assistant told me that thats how they make most of their profit and that he had actually had customers buy several models before going somewhere to learn to fly.

Not scratch or kit but funny non the less.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:56 pm »

That reminds me of the story about irate Mum, who returned the Airfix kit she had just bought her son because when he opened the box it didn't look anything like the picture on the lid!

Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:38 pm »

Trouble is Rick, when most people have built them it still doesn't look like the picture on the lid!

CERES

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2007, 01:59:45 pm »

:) :)My last three(3) models have all been kits on which I have done some of my own mods. These were:- 1840 Whaler "Charles Morgan", French Bomb vessel "Le Hussard" and I have just completed a Clyde Puffer from Model Slipway which is my very first attempt at radio control which by the way has yet to be installed once I have joined my local Model Boat Club.(Cos I know note about radio)
I must admit that my total satisfaction was the scratch build of the Thames Barge "Will Everard" which I renamed "Welcome" since it was for a Arthur Ransome appreciation friend(Swallows & Amazons) All machinery being made of the inards of old alarm clocks.
So, I shall be attempting some more scatch build. O0 O0 O0

Colin Hyam

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2007, 08:23:02 pm »

Being new to model boats I prefer to build from scratch, using and developing skills as I go along;  it follows on nicely from building doll's houses and wood turning.  Having said that, I have recently built Al Khubar from a kit and enjoyed doing so.

On balance, I am not in a hurry to get on the water so scratch building provides me with a more leisurely activity and a challenge which is not necessarily provided by a kit.  If at the end it floats - then its a successful build!

Colin H

purser.ch.stwd

« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2007, 02:21:05 pm »

I prefer sratch.Out of the fortythree builds I have done over a period of 40 years I think only three were kits and they were the first three boats ever built.

With scratch you can do your own thing from the begining providing you plan carefully. Or modify as you go along as I do.

Last three boats built. Lady Lauren (Tug) Waverly Keep) Pipecarrier and Four barges All were scratch built.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.