Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit or Scratch Build - Why?  (Read 37231 times)

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
Re: Kit or Scratch building - Why?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 05:03:56 pm »

I have always built from scratch, ever since I started building model boats as a teenager.

It started because thats what was available, the junk in the shed was a goldmine (still is).

I recently was given the Revel HMAS Snowberry to build, Reminded my why I scratch build, I hated every minute of the build.

There is a satisfaction in solving every problem from building the hull to mounting the mast lights, even if the ship never sails...... some of mine have not got wet, they sit on shelves in almost every room in the house ("gathering dust", she says).

There is room in our hobby for everyone no matter what way we acquire our models (its the same in the model railway fraternity, only I think that is more polarized), its the friendliness of fellow modelers and the openness within our hobby that keeps me on this forum and others.

Model boaters never die, they mealy hang around lakes and ponds asking what frequency we are using ;D ;D

Big-geoff

hobbyman

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 05:09:23 pm »

I got started again by building two Billings models "zwart zee"and" cux 87" ,amd now building from scratch the tug ,"Bogdan",a polish tug in wood, planked hull ,wood deck and cabins ,i like to see wood come alive.

Willit

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 05:12:51 pm »

ummm generally I will kit build or scratch build with equal gusto.  I don't really have any preference, although sometimes scratchbuilding can be a teeny bit more fun :)

but it is nice to have the bits made for you  ;)

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 05:16:01 pm »

To this time I have only built from kits simple reason I don't yet have the skills or experience to build from scratch.

Last build Slo Mo Shun Billings kit that taught me an awful lot because both the kit its self and the instructions were awful.

Before that it was the Robbe Atlantis Superb kit highly reccommended nut not for the novice.

The one before was hardly a build more a put together exercise the Robbe Estelle but a wonderful boat for the novice sailor.

The next one due to start when I have finished renovating the lounge SWMBO orders you will never guess.

A SPRINGER TUG. O0 O0 O0

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

depaashaas

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 05:21:11 pm »

hello there,
i am from the Netherlands and i got a mailing with the above question.
so my answers are:

mostly modified kit with some kit parts and home made stuff.

i am into navy and semi-scale models. the last models i have build were:
 *  the Lindberg plastic kit of a small tug, scale 1:60, which i modified to a US navy tug with all the weathering and damage of a sea-battle in the pacific. this model is full RC and +/- 25cm long.
 *  a Revell static display of 2 LCT on a beach scenery. scale 1:250
 *  a plan build freshwater tanker which is in use on the dutch harbours to supplie the sea going vessels with fresh water and other stuff. i made it as a "bier boot" (Heineken's beer). it was full RC and +/- 60cm long. i sold it last week.
 *  my new project is a scratch build hull of a mooring tug. it is from a German plan and should be full RC. length is +/- 45cm scale 1:25.

i hope that you understand my poor English writing, school was 15 years ago... :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

greetings from a sunny Vlissingen harbour,

Antonio

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 05:24:32 pm »

Antonio your English is as good as, if not better than a lot of us on the forum  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 05:29:04 pm »

In the main, I build from kits - reason being lack of skills and equipment/space. Last three as follows:-

Re-build of Riverman by Jotika - my last one sank in a reservoir!

Graupners's Micro Magic - modified to a degree, to suit me.

Tyne Models semi-kit of tug Alfred - very satisfying to see sailing on the lake, very controllable and with plenty of power.

Danny

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 05:35:16 pm »

I scratch build inland river towboats cause I know the boats inside and out and there's a specialized market that I profit in building the models for customers.

Last three builds
American Viking
G L Furr
Robert Kopper

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »

Mainly scratch built, but if a kit caught my eye (and I had the pennies !) I would be perfectly happy giving it a go.
Last 4
Will Everard 4ft scratch built barge
2 x 1M yachts from free plans, planked in balsa & glassed, scratch built
1M Yacht Widget GRP hull assembled and rigging scratch built (?)
'A' Class yacht Orca design, scratch built, hull planked in cedar cut from two 'big' planks

Just realized that comes to 5, but who's counting  ::)

MikeK

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 05:45:47 pm »

My last three new builds have been:

Revell Corvette kit.

Robbe Scheutze minesweeper kit.

Robbe PT15 with 2 superstructures [1 sank] kit.

I am renovating a 1970's Freya 36 with a new superstructure.

My next build will be a bought hull and a scratchbuild superstructure US MGB of the Vietnam war era. :-\

Happy days  :)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Langsford

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 05:51:21 pm »

I think a lot depends on your ability and experience. I am on my third Mountfleet model all of which I have tried to improve on. If it is possible to improve on the late Fank Hinchcliff, what a loss to us all.
One other point, do ALL of the scratch builders also build the hull, arguably the most difficult part?
Cheers, John

Almirante

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 05:53:12 pm »

The choices are too simplistic.

If there is a kit for a model I would like to build I search for any reviews and as a result of these, if favourable, I purchase it. The trouble is that the modelling press is reluctant to publish any adverse comments otherwise they would loose advertising revenue and soI became a builder of modified kits. The degree of modification has varied from minor to scrapping 90% of the fittings and reworking areas of the fibre glass hull.

On the other hand if there isn`t a "short cut" I scratch build. In the end there is little difference in the skill required to produce an
acceptable model only the time taken to do so.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 05:55:05 pm »

Picking up on Bunkerbarge's point as to what constitutes a scratchbuilt model, the traditional definition of fully scratch was that everything visible on the exterior of the model (including the hull) had to be made by the builder with the exception of anchor and other chain and the running gear (shafts and props). It went without saying that you had to have built from a plan. These days of course the definition is rather more elastic so there are "degrees of scratch" depending upon how many bought in components have been used. So, as others have already said, do whatever suits you! It's your hobby after all. There's nothing "elitist" about the term scratchbuilding, it is simply a description. The only time it matters is if you enter a competition when somebody who has built the lot will get many more marks than somebody who has bought a hull, scratch built the superstructure and added commercial fittings - and that's the way it should be.

I would add that with the ready availability of RTR boats there seems to be a bit of what might be termed "grade deflation" going on. Some people appear to think that if they have to stick a couple of bits together it constitutes "scratchbuilding". On that basis all the Airfix kits would fit the definition!

Tankerman

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 05:56:35 pm »

My last three models are:

1) Coastal Tanker "Frederick M." - Scratch built from ship-yard plans to 1/50th. scale. It won a Gold Medal at the M.E. but that was 21 years ago.

2) H.M.S.Agamemnon - Caldercraft kit, extra detail added and rigging modified to comply with the establishment of the period. Just completed.

3) H.M. Customs Cruiser "Vigilant" - Current project which looks as though it will be built straight from the box, the Marten, Howes and Bayliss kit is so accurate and complete.

I prefer to scratch build but if a kit is good then I'll use it.

Tankerman

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 06:16:15 pm »

I Wholeheartedly agree with Colin, there are degrees of scratch building and I would hope that many would have a go at building some part no matter how small a part of a model and realise the satisfaction of building something yourself.

I read a post on another thread about steam winches and there not being any available ready made parts or kits available, the joy of this hobby for me is coming up against a problem like that, spending hours researching and finally making something that resembles the fitting that I need.

Of course I am not "xxxxx" enough to produce my own anchor cable, if it was not for the support of outlets like Westborne's etc I would probably not complete my builds.

I would love to be able to produce the quality of the like of Brian King (all hail the god of scratch building) :P and I admire the quality of some of RTR and ARTR models that are being produced. It is these producers that are introducing new blood to the hobby, and the likes of Brian who inspire us to have a go at making our own.

Long live model boating in all its forms.

Big-Geoff

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 06:22:15 pm »

I seem to be in a huge minority.
I prefer to refurbish models, or should I say totally rebuid.
I am presently working on a 1/72 scale Prinz Eugen that was started 26 yrs ago.
But
I also build ALL the rest
Kits, hulls and scratch.
I only scratch build when the ship I want to build does not have a GRP hull available.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2007, 06:23:11 pm »

I have built kits, but I prefer scratch-building as I can use my ingenuity.   Current scratch-build is the paddle tug IONA, circa 1896.   Pete M.
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 06:41:52 pm »

I'd have preferred a multiple choice poll as I have built three from the five classes at various times.  This would probably have given a fairer result  ;D ;D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 06:45:29 pm »

Comment via email.....

I do a combination of kit and scratch. If something
seems a little under detailed, I scratch build more
detail into the project, such as my lifeboat build, a
never ending project, because I keep finding things to
be done that were not part of the original kit.

Then there are projects like my lighthouse build, as
yet unfinished, where everything is scratch built. I'm
hoping to get back at it this winter and finish up the
complete diorama.  This is one of those "best laid
plans of mice and men".

After having been on a three month holiday, covering
21 of the 50 United States, it's a little hard to get
back in the groove again.

Crazy Yank
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 06:46:21 pm »

Comment via email.....

Hi  there

Well,  my  first  build  EVER  was  a  1:144  scratch  built  USS
Enterprise,  now  call  me  crazy,  stupid  whatever,  I  didn't  realise
the  involvement  until  I  was  way  into  the  construction  ( still  busy
10  months  down  the  line ).

In-between  I  am  now  also  building  ( scratch  built )  USS  Bunkerhill
1:96  and  3  semi  scale  kits,  1  x  HMS  Zulu  (  Deans  Marine ),  1  x
USS  Oscar  Austin  and  1  x  HMS  Campbeltown  both  from  SIRMAR.

I  know  tell  me  again  I'm  crazy,  BUT  I  find  it  easier  to  build
a  few  at  a  time,  it  means  while  one  part  is  drying / curing  etc.
I  can  continue  on  something  else  and  because  of  my  working
getting  in  the  way,  I  can  only  work  on  the  models  between  10pm
and  3am  daily.

Happy  modelling

Melville
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 06:47:51 pm »

Reply via email...

I build kits for now because they usually come with everything I need for a finished model. I am planning a scratch built model of the Great Republic in 1/4 scale and getting experience with kit's like the Sterling 63' Chris Craft,Dumas American Enterprise,Anfora Pilar and half a dozen other plank on hull boats from ModelExpo. I also enjoy building the plastic kits from Revell of clipper ships of which I have built the Cutty Sark and the Thermopylae in the large scale and another Thermopylae waitng in the wings.   
Nice models. 
Pete

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 06:52:45 pm »

Reply via email.....

Hi gents, Mmmm......... well, a rebuild on a Smit Nederland, Kit build of an Al Khubar, Kit build of a Guernsey, Re-build of a Thyssen and at present a scratch build of a Pheonix Mouldings Thrax which might finish up as a different name.
Cheers all,

Wiggy

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2007, 07:18:14 pm »

I have only scratchbuilt for many years.    I began in the 1950s because after my first two kits, my parents said they couldn't afford any more & gave me a tool box & a few tools instead!       Since then, I have noted a considerable number of people who are highly skilled, but because they have chained themselves to kits, have never progressed beyond assembling a magnificent model from a kit (mainly someone else's hard work).      I feel that in the UK, we have been dumbed down in most things practical & this is very evident in marine modelling.       I can seldom find a category to put my models in in forums because I only build ships, big ones, small, ones, medium sized ones, but all ships.    Why does the avergae man-in-the street in th UK persist in talking about "boats" even if they are quarter of a million tons?   
Regards
Positive

Bluebird v2

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2007, 07:26:25 pm »

hi all,

Scratch building to me, I must confess, is where the modeller scratch builds or makes, everything physically possible - i.e. all exterior fixtures and fittings, such as anchor chains, props, prop shafts and soforth.

With regards motors, batteries, and radio gear, they dont physically contribute to the 'looks' of the model - they only make it perform.

That to me, is a true scratch build.

Everything else, in my eyes, where you buy a hull/fittings - then it becomes semi-scratch build.

The closest I have ever become to a scratch build was my Fairmile B.   I chickened out at making the anchor chains and the props.  Also the portlights which I bought previously for another model.  So, I can safely say 100% of my models are semi-scratch built.

The reason I semi-scratch is, in the very beginning, like a lot of us, we couldnt affort to purchase kits - pocket money wouldnt stretch to 16 shillings and sixpence and couple of sheets of balsa wood and scrounge some offcuts from the timber yard, yet  :)

But to be honest though, now, the enjoyment for semi-scratch is to see the actual model come from the plans.  Each piece you make be added.

As you know, I have already attempted to build for a kit, and quite honestly I struggled.   Not because of the difficulty of the kit, but the difficulty in following someone else's instructions.  There were so many times I wanted to do it MY WAY and there was a nagging thought at the back of my mind - if I go off my way, I may overlook something I should have added in earlier on.

so, yes, these guys who purchase kits and do it their way, are just as skilled as anyone else, if not more so.

At the end of the day whether you scratch build, semi-scratch build or kit build - it makes you happy and you are pleased with what you are doing THAT IS WHAT COUNTS - we arent building a model to prove we are better than anyone else - we are building for enjoyment.

Right, Im off to see if I can understand my 'daft' plan.

Aye
John E
Bluebird

Modeller51

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2007, 07:29:28 pm »

Scratch build
Last 3 builds were
a 1/8th scale bantum tug
1/12th scale 71foot narrowboat
1/12 scale 56foot canal tug

why because i can
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.