Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Life Boat  (Read 38541 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Tyne Class Life Boat
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2022, 06:00:58 pm »

hi Joerg
yes your idea of painting the life rings the same as pictured sounds good except i have photos of the same boat but with red ish  looking rings and orange rings, im guessing its not really that much of an issue unless i have a rivet count viewing my model,
how you doing with your boat build

Trucker

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2022, 07:05:15 pm »

Hi Trucker,wo if you don't care about an exact timeframe of your boats service it really doesn't matter how you paint them. choose the color you like most! Or build the douple amount of life rings and make both colors  :}
My Tyne was waiting for the boathouse. I was pretty busy at work and still the trim panels are not in the final solution, no brainspace was left for that. And then my wife was away over weekend and even for a short holiday. Which means, free living room, time for the boathouse and slipway.

Which is working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BqGKqpFGVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFO9232sSlk
Next week I hope for 4 days camping and a meeting of some german forum. The Tyne has to be 'waterproof' by then.  I've glued 6 plates of polystyrol for forming the stern-keel, just glued it into the open end today and by now filling up the part with 60min 2k epoxy from the inside. That stuff finds every tiny empty or free space.  For the weekend I hope for soldering and wiring motors , installing the rudder servo etc....
I want to test the slipway on water!
Best,Joerg

Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2022, 08:43:21 pm »

Here are a couple of pictures showing the scratch built stanchion support base, these have been made to the photos of the real boat, problem i have is the height the total stanchion is now 62mm, ive got to lose at least 10mm and keep things looking right. doesnt look an easy task,
can some one verify the height please, im going for 50mm but im not quite sure,,,

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2022, 07:27:44 pm »

Hi All
Hope you all are busy in the boat building man cave and also enjoying this lovely weather,, after having three failed attempts at making my stanchions from a mould i have decided to every one from scratch using brass and a little bit of plastic, perhaps slightly over engineered for some think that should be an easy thing, its labour intensified but it makes me happy  {-)

Trucker

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2022, 08:09:12 am »

:-))
No ideas with the stanchion height, 62mm seems too much and 50 a bit low.

62mm, in my case, would be up in the windows but if you have a good photo from the side (no tilt of the boat) they're 54-56 from deck (including the U support) to top.
I'm still far away from building them but I'm sure the stanchions will be out of brass.
Best,Joerg
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2022, 05:52:58 pm »

stanchions normally about a metre, nemesis

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2022, 08:00:00 am »

Hi Trucker,could you tell me the size of your black shock absorber around the hull?I have a 6mm height and 5mm deep one on stock but it seems just a bit too small.
Best,Joerg

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2022, 06:08:40 pm »

Hi joerg
The size of the rubbing rubber i have used is, 9mm width, at the flat edge and a depth of 10mm, i did buy a few sizes from ebay and then just tried each to see which suited the boat best.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2022, 06:55:48 pm »

Dry fitted the stern stanchions tonight. i like the way things have turned out, plenty to work on before the paint comes out , but ive found the rhythm in making them now..

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2022, 07:05:30 pm »

put together part of the stern stanchions this weekend, i have found  doing these a real struggle, i have followed the photo as much as i can, the first thing i noticed the railings do not follow the curve of the actual stern they are straight from stanchion to stanchion and appear to have bolts to a fix them, im recreating this by soldering and hope to glue on some hexi replica bolt heads.

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2022, 11:04:56 pm »

Trucker,
It's continuing to look very nice and progress is good. Keep up the good work. She'll soon be afloat on a 'water somewhere here in Kent', drawing in the local admiring onlookers O0  .
Cheers,

Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2022, 04:41:16 am »

thanks for the encouraging words KIM  :-)) i hope to put it back in the water on our clubs next meeting, its an all day event on the 24th.

Trucker

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2022, 07:08:31 am »

Hi Trucker,it really makles me jeaolus  %%
When I look at it now, the stanchons look like the are the outermost parts of the boat, is this right? (can be wideangle effect)
The oute frame of the boat should be the black rubbing rubber, otherwise the stanchions would always be damaged when hitting some other boat.
 https://www.alamy.de/rnli-alle-wetter-tyne-klasse-rettungsboot-freiwilliger-schlagen-das-wasser-in-eine-demonstration-starten-in-selsey-rettungsboot-am-tag-der-markteinfuhrung-image238364710.html?imageid=44BB3EDB-3F65-4CFE-91AA-39DD25CCB5E6&p=85234&pn=1&searchId=66c5b4dbe8e8bf0ef99e3ae02a816fcf&searchtype=0
But I guess they are just sticked in the deck and not glued yet.
Really nice work!!Best,Joerg

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2022, 10:50:02 am »

Joerg
The stanchions are correct to my plan, they are not glued yet so might be giving an odd perspective
Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2022, 05:39:37 pm »

Hi All
Started to install the stanchions on the stb side for now, its not been an easy job for me, most of my issues are the measurements for them and the toes bars, so ive had to compromise as i progress, so heare are a couple of the pics so show my work.

Trucker

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2022, 05:43:09 pm »

:-)) really a nice job!

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2022, 05:50:31 pm »

thank ship mate, hows your tyne class coming along

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2022, 06:14:59 pm »

thank ship mate, hows your tyne class coming along
slooooooooooooooow and unsystematic.......
Many ideas in mind, thinking over this and that, planning some smoke generation (just for starting the engines in the boathouse and a sudden 'full speed ahead'.

Waiting for some material.  Went a bit further on with the deck parting and stabilization of the deckframe below. Too much family "xxxxx" keeps me away from deeper work.  I hope to get the boathouse winch running in the next two weeks, just as a test - but who knows.
Just realized that the trim plates are not flat anymore, they are bent quite a lot.... so they have to be replaced by metal or hard plastic.
Three steps forward and two steps back, the usual stuff  ok2 Best,Joerg

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2023, 08:19:15 pm »

Hi All
Once again i have a crisis regarding a leaking lifeboat, the tyne class has been out on the lake again, but, i have noticed water sloshing about in the keel area, after making up a quick test tank at home i wanted to check if the water was getting in via the propshaft, it appears the shafts are not to blame, looking at the out side ive noticed a small crack in the rework filler i did last year, its all a bit odd, SO, could the motors be vibrating and causing the repair to flex, forgot to say i used fiber glass inside and filler out side,
would using rubber under the motors help,
Should i fiber glass the out side and repaint etc, and as a last resort is worth considering stripping every thing out and fiber glassing the inside, this is extreme but if needed

Trucker
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.