Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Life Boat  (Read 39323 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Tyne Class Life Boat
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 09:36:45 pm »

heres a few pictures of some progress on my lifeboat model  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 09:41:39 pm »

That's a beautiful looking paint job Trucker - has it been done with rattle cans or some other means?

Regards,
Ray.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 10:02:07 pm »

all rattle cans so far,  ok2 quite a few layers and rub down sessions with a bit of filler just to pass the time  :D
 Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 05:55:01 pm »

Lovely paint ruined, opened my man cave today and boy was it hot in side, any way, the paint now has the imprint of the very cloth i laid the hull to protect my work, gutted, so how can i rectify the slight damage.. ive also now smeared the blue onto the white on the transom, how do i clean that...

Trucker

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 01:32:13 pm »

You say you have plenty of layers of paint, so assuming the paint is now thoroughly dry I suggest you try rubbing down with some fine wet and dry (1200 or 1500) used wet.  That should remove the blue smears and might remove the cloth imprint (difficult to say without knowing how deep the imprint is).  Take it slowly, and check regularly.  Assuming that works, then get some polishing compound to bring the shine back (something like this should do it, but not T-cut!).

Good luck

Greg

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 06:43:24 pm »

the paint issues have been corrected now so i have pushed on with a bit more detail work, hope you like the pictures..

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 07:22:12 pm »

thought i would describe to you guys what ive actually done,
the rubber fender has been added, i pushed some electric wire through this because i thought with out it it was a bit too soft.the deck has had its final coat of light sea grey, the fareleads have been brass painted and the protective cage for the trim rams have been fitted, and finally the yellow/red stripes have been put on...
 {-) {-) enjoy

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2019, 04:55:37 pm »

something im rather pleased with, complete scratch build of the fishermans anchor including the shackle, a little clean up the a painting session.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2019, 05:40:01 pm »

Trucker,
You should be pleased and proud with those - great to see a little bit of scratch building, both here and on other lifeboat builds - no greater feeling than when it all goes right and a sense of achievement too.

Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 04:44:15 pm »

Can any one identify what and where the red plates go that seem to be attached to the inboard sides by the entrance of the survivors pod on the Tyne class lifeboat, i suspect vent covers but im unsure...

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 07:45:03 pm »

Yes, they’re vent covers. I can take a pic of Spirit of Lowestoft on Saturday.

Lance

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 09:50:48 pm »

hi lance.
thanks for the offer for the pictures, are you able to tell me where the vents are that these covers are used, it will give me an idea of their size for my model and of course educate the grey matter  O0

fireball XL5

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2019, 12:28:51 am »

Wow!!. my eyes seem to have become polarised to the lifeboat section of this forum, but there are so many beautiful builds of superb models, I am spoilt for choice what model I like the most.

I think I will just keep reading them all and take each one as an individual masterpiece.

mind you, there are so many builds on here it will take me some time, but I just have to say Trucker...….your model looks superb.

Herbie.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »

Here’s Spirit of Lowestoft.

The first image shows where the vent cover plates are stored - both on the starboard side on Spirit, as she has an extra wide rope box on the port side.

And where the cover fits on the starboard side. You can see the horizontal guide slots below the ‘12’ marker (which is the number of the vent). Port side is similar.

Lance

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2019, 06:57:30 pm »

hi, furball
thank you so much for close up pics of the vent / location, its made things a lot clearer, going to remake my effort now, O0

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 05:15:29 pm »

Hi All
Thanks to Stan i have finally got to grips with the install of my LED,s so i have put in the stern light with a nice bit of wiring, just may be the lifeboat will be finished this year,  {-) {-)

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2020, 04:49:27 pm »

Hi, All
i have done some more work on my Tyne Class lifeboat, so im sharing a few more pictures, hope you like the build..
i now have a working radar, i got this from a well known auction site, cleaned it up a little, drilled through the centre and attached a drive shaft to it, made a earthing plate for the stern and a attempt to make it look like a metal plate, i have also made the navigation light holders, several attempts for these to get them looking about right,all the lights work but i wont install until the end phase of the paint work. i have also made the flood light that hangs from the mast. finally started to paint up the survivors cabin, primer and some more filler so far...

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 07:12:48 pm »

Heres attempt number 2, one one the antennas on top of the tyne class lifeboat, its scratch built from part of a kids drink bottle top, 16mm across outer edge 4mm with the centre pin 7mm, i filled the inside with filler and sanded down to this shape, its looks about right scale wise but theres more to add to yet. ok2

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 06:14:54 pm »

some progress on the Tyne class lifeboat, slow but getting there,heres a phew pictures

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31:01 pm »

hi all,
Some detailing work done on my lifeboat, looking nice now hoping to complete this part very soon.
Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2020, 06:45:18 pm »

as the survivors pod is nearing completion i am enjoying some fine detailing, today i have put my hands to the life raft which is stowed at the aft end , i made the quick release buckle and the straps from my scrap bin, painting tomorrow, ive also put some effort into the mast, painting and a pair of hydraulic rams.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2020, 04:41:55 pm »

hi all,
work on the tyne continues, the last few days have been committed to the mast, there needs to be some cleaning up,but, scratch built most bits, the horn is made from three bits of plastic out from the scrap tin with a cocktail through the inside to make it rigid, the amber light also out from the scrap tin but this is only a dummy, flashing blue light is a off the shelf one, 360 degres white nav light was made from two slim cuts of plastic tube for top and base with a little bit of clear shrink tube for the lens, hope the LED doesnt get hot...  %)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2020, 06:05:01 pm »

Hi Trucker,
You seem to be enjoying yourself and making a good job of your Tyne build. Again, it is good to see someone else 'scratch' building......there's quite a few now in the recent lifeboat builds......and also using your scrap box items.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work and enjoyment.
Kim [C.C.]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2020, 08:28:01 pm »

light up time, lights in and working,  ;)  now that the bulbs are in what should i use to prevent them falling out, they are quite tight but i feel some sort of plugging is needed.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2020, 11:05:28 pm »

Hi Trucker,
That's good. Concerning the 'plugging', it's hard to see [which I would prefer] which is best, so:
  • do you want it to be semi-permanent, so it could be taken out later - if required, then maybe some sort of body filler with the surface painted over in the correct colour...
  • ....or permanent, whereby I would use a small smear of Bondic UV glue and apply the UV torch and seal solidly......but even this could be drilled out with a small dentist drill bit.
There are plenty of options and personal preferences along these lines, however, they could be left and then retro fitted if after a test period they do fall out.
Kim [C.C.]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.