Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Life Boat  (Read 38533 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Tyne Class Life Boat
« on: October 07, 2018, 08:20:37 am »

Hey, Belyno 1968
Following your build of the life boat, great work, but the build thread seems to have dried up, hows things going with it, have you made any more progress, look forward to some more pictures... O0

Trucker

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tyne Class Life Boat
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 12:30:03 pm »

Hi Trucker
Thanks for your interest in the build.

I am still building although family and work have slowed me down the last couple of weeks. I have almost finished the raised deck although progress has been slow as my brass tube bending and soldering isn't the best. Will post some pictures later today.
Chris

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:08:36 pm »

thats good news fellow boater, hope we are discussing the same boat, i didnt make it clear at all did i {:-{  im watching your Tyne class life boat. mine is coming along but as this is my first build im having to correct a few things as i go.. ;)
Trucker

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:05:03 pm »

Yes it is the Tyne I'm building, like yourself this is my first complete scratch build ( although I have refurbished a billings 1/20 scale 44ft US coast guard cutter and turned it into an RNLI Waveney) so I to have had to remake things I'm not happy with. I will upload latest pictures shortly
Chris

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:47:17 pm »

had to remove the spray rail on my tyne class lifeboat today, reason for that is simply because i didnt like how i put it on and just didnt look right, so, can any of you tyne builders help me out by explaining how you made, attached there spray rail to the hull, and the thickness of the sheet used to make their spray rail

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 05:16:03 pm »

As ive been stealing ideas from other i thought its about time i showed off my work so far...

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 05:47:16 pm »

The aft cabin has now had the curved edges made up, ive used thin strips of wood glued in with super glue and some epoxy , BUT, what should i use as filler on the wood so once dry i can shape and finish off.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:08:49 am »

Hi Trucker
Looking good  :-))
For the survivors cabin I used 1/4 wooden quadrant from wickes and used Halfords filler primer ( a few coats sanded in between filled the grain in well)
I really do like your capstan, can I ask where you got it from, one thing I'm struggling with is good pictures and how to make it ( I haven't got the use of a lathe)
Keep up the good work and keep posting the pictures 

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 06:09:00 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, Beyno, i got my brother to make my capstan on his lathe, ive got to paint the lower half black seems wasteful but thats the way it is,

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 06:00:23 pm »

ive started to remake the spray rail today, but , looking at all the fine models of the tyne class boat i have a question i would like to put to you guys out there, most of the rails i see are quite flat to the to the hull, but on the actual life boat the rail appears to protrude, HOW, would i make my rail more convincing like the real thing...

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:49 pm »

Hi
I think it's just an optical illusion that the rail looks like it's protruding. On the real boat I have seen at The Emergency Services museum in Sheffield the spray rails are triangular and definitely flush to the hull. When I did my Tyne I used triangular styrene profile glued to the hull. It took a lot of heating (with a hair dryer) and bending to get it to look right. Even then I'm not 100% happy with mine (it's a little low on the bow). Hope this helps.
Chris

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 04:07:43 pm »

Thanks for the tip on the way you tackled the spray rail, using a triangle piece i will certainly look at it...

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 07:53:27 am »

ive been busy making some detailed hinges for the tyne aft cabin this week. the make a huge difference to the look but boy did they give me cramp holding them whilst filing and shaping  %%

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:13 am »

Can any one help by giving details of what the hook end would look like on the Tyne Class life boat, im either going to make two or try to locate ready to buy  off the net...

Thanks

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 07:12:59 pm »

Hi All
I have decided to remake the foot loops that run around the deck of my Tyne class life boat, currently they are all made of plastic and look a bit shabby, ive knocked up a little jig to play around with for the renewal but im not quite sure which metal rod to use, i have a surplus of aluminum wire used for my bonsai tree  which appears to lend its self rather well to the new loops, but, im unsure how well paint will go onto the wire, or, follow the herd and use brass rod, advantages of being straight to begin with. Whats your thought on which to use...

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 06:41:36 am »

well, i went with the bonsai wire. looks rather good, i found it easy to bend to the radius required im yet to paint them but im sure there shouldnt be an issue,  :-))

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 09:48:41 am »

Hi Trucker
I used 1.5mm brass rod for mine again using a jig like yourself. You shouldn't have a problem with painting the aluminium. I always use a primer first though. Are you spray painting or hand painting them? I sprayed mine I think I used Polar Grey spray from Halfords.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 05:22:07 pm »

i would like to spray paint as much as possible but the more detail that gets added more i start doubting, im actually in the progress of preparing the hull and deck for its first coat of primer, looking forward to that...

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 07:22:05 pm »

Hi, all
i have been busy with lifeboat recently, but, still no paint on her, never mind >>:-( done some work on the mast, i believe this is about the fifth attempt, the main problem for me has been getting the radius to match, as most of it is plastic rod i found it quite hard but progress has been made so i wanted to share my work, still lots to do so i will try and put a few more pics up later..
Trucker

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »

Hi Trucker,

As your in Kent, you might want to pop along the the Historic Lifeboat Collection in Chatham Dockyard, as we’ve just taken possession of the ex Lowestoft Tyne, 47-020, “Spirit of Lowestoft”.

Cheers

Lance

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 07:08:29 am »

:-)) Thanks for the info, im up at the model shop in the docks quite a few times, so will have to arrange a longer visit and go and take a look at the lifeboat...

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 05:05:05 pm »

built the VHF aerial today and the tiny locking pin that holds the mast upright, now ive put the whole mast in situ so i can work on the hydraulics.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 05:21:10 pm »

Hi, All
Taking advantage of the warm sun shine and moved on a bit with the build, another round of rubbing down and even more filler primer and grey primer to finish the day, ive also tried my luck at scratch building the boat hooks .

TRUCKER

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 05:21:23 pm »

Hi, Guys
A little bit of work done on my model, as an after thought i have made some tiny discs punched out of .75 plastic card to represent all the bolts securing the hatches down and made a start on the raised platform, also the first couple coats of the white on the hull...

Trucker.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 05:07:54 pm »

heres my first attempt at silver soldering, some cleaning up to do then on to the other one.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.