Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Life Boat  (Read 38535 times)

MOXCY

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tyne Class Life Boat
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2020, 03:16:48 pm »

I love the detail you are doing a cracking job

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2020, 05:16:02 pm »

thank you for looking at my tyne build, this is becoming a real slog at the moment, the end is in sight but the love for the build is still there, just like to add though this is my first build... :-))

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2020, 07:46:22 pm »

hi all
I have been scratch building again, pictures show the fenders im going to put on my lifeboat, each one has four pieces, then i have sanded down to what i consider a match to the pictures i have seen on the net, some finishing off and a drop of paint and think they will look ok..

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2020, 08:24:09 pm »

hi all.
following some big issues with my life boat i thought i would have ago at making my own windows, a few more to go but i think they look alright so far

RST

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2020, 08:34:33 pm »

Hi, they look very neat and uniform. Are they made from polystyrene or 3d prints? I'm guessing they're not mouldings looking at colour of part on LHS which looks like a PU casting?

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2020, 08:42:27 pm »

hi RST
the broken frame on the left is what can be purchased from the internet, i didnt like these once fitted so i started scratch building my own from plastic card

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2020, 09:15:14 pm »

big step back wards this week with my build , i removed the the window frames from the main cabin which caused all kinds of problems for me, i was prompted to make my own frames by now which are coming along quite well actually, i now have decided to make the deck lighting actually work so a bit of cutting and remodeling needed, and to finish off a repaint , now ive got my garden project finished i can get back to the boat, pics to follow shortly,,

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2020, 05:11:22 pm »

heres my main cabin, looking quite messy considering it was on the right track for finishing  <:( im confidant i will bring it back soon

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 06:14:57 am »

The holes have been cut out for the lighting and made good, with a box inside to accommodate the LED, all my window frames are done and waiting there paint , so it's on the right track again.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2020, 11:05:44 am »

Hi Trucker,
Not an easy choice you had to make there, but you will be pleased you did, once you have got back to where you were at and now even beyond :-)) . Keep up the good work and hopefully your enjoyment and satisfaction with it all.

Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2020, 07:49:34 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement Kim, its hard to go backwards but it is satisfying to correct the wrongs even if it is the hard way to learn  {-)
thinking of reducing the window opening size next, they look a little over size in the photos.

trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2020, 06:05:11 pm »

spent the biggest part of today filling in the existing window holes hopefully to improve the windows, firstly i cut a nice piece of plasticard for the inside this gave the sides extra strength and some thing to glue the infills to, after giving that some time to dry off i set about cutting 1mm plasticard for each window, glued in from the outside, a little bit of filler to fill the tiny gaps, going to leave for a few days so every thing to go off then im going to rub down and recut the holes for the windows hopefully a bit more accurately this time  O0

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2020, 07:20:20 pm »

completed the window infill this week. filled in any gaps around the edges and today smoothed every thing down, im sure there will be  need to do some more but not untill ive recut the window holes  :-)) this time more care will be taken.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2020, 05:55:15 pm »

Hi all
i put together two spot lights this evening made from pieces out of the scrap box, i shaped the inside to give the look of a full size light, the LED is 3mm and will be working along with the other deck lights, some cleaning up and paint it it will look ok.

Trucker

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2020, 04:11:05 pm »

The front spotlights I used on my Tyne are white metal ones from Cornwall Model Boats they are 6mm diameter. Here's a picture to give you some sense of scale.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:07 pm »

thank you for sharing that with me / us, i am trying to scratch build mine, i believe im on attempt 5 or 6 now,  <:(

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2020, 04:15:53 pm »

Hi all
Because ive made the deck lighting a working item ive had to remake the covers for them, pictures show them scratch built from the scap box, there is actually 6 bits to each one, some sanding to shape and lots of patience  %% , they have now been primed along with all the window frames, ah question time, should the window frames be painted aluminium or polished aluminium .

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2020, 04:16:44 pm »

Hi all, As the damp weather conditions are playing havoc with my painting plans, ive been scratch building some parts for my Tyne class lifeboat, the pictures show the progress of the life rings and the beacon, all parts are from the scrap box, ive done the best i can to be in scale with plan so hoping it looks ok..

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2020, 04:23:30 pm »

Looking good Trucker. The main thing is you look to be enjoying it. Like the way you are sharing your methods and techniques......it might encourage some fellow builders to have a go at 'scratch' building more.
Keep up the good work....it will soon be April again!!

Kim [C.C.]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2020, 05:32:24 pm »

:-)) thanks for the kind words, only wish i had a nice warm man cave, then perhaps this build would have been completed by now, never mind, one day O0

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2020, 06:19:34 pm »

Hi, All
Ive added the final bits to the life ring holders today, done a reasonable job of the beacons and sanded down the second life ring,
the a bit of modelers license going on on this build so im really hoping it all comes together later. %%
since taking this pic ive given both rings and holders a coating of Halfords filler primer..

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2020, 07:09:27 am »

Hello all
Hope your lock down isnt too stressful,
I have taken advantage of a little warm air and sunshine and put the final coat back on the main cabin of my tyne class lifeboat and the deck light covers, sorry forgot to take pic of the covers,

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2020, 07:12:34 am »

hi all
i went for Gorilla glue to attach the window frames to the newly painted cabin  <:( , stuck very well, but, what a mess i made of it im kind back where was prior to remaking the frames, lots of heart ache again  <:( ,some glue to clean off that seeped out from the frames as i firmly pushed them into place, once thats cleaned off will have to look at the paint work  <:(

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2020, 08:22:22 am »

Hi all
After some disaster with my original main cabin i decided to rebuild it, this one i used thicker plastic card to improve its strength, learned from various mistakes from the first, and over all im taking more care with detail and measuring, ive all so decided to wait for warmer days before thinking of any painting, heres a few pictures of my progress.
Trucker :-))

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2020, 03:29:22 pm »

very good. do not forget to use plastic primer, inside and out. Also paint inside, especially the joints. nemesis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.