Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Life Boat  (Read 38532 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Tyne Class Life Boat
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2020, 03:55:36 am »

thanks for the advice Nemesis,  %) , i certainly will give it some primer, the roof beams have been shaped and a roof glued on, ive put in extra strengthening pieces along each beam to help with the hold.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2021, 09:07:14 pm »

hope all are well, and keeping safe, i have been doing some more rebuilding, im having another attempt at the grating for my tyne class, heres a few pics of progress, ive used 4mm x 4mm profile for this, after making a paper template, double checking the fit i thought about how i can construct the frame, at first just gluing didnt seem to be strong enough so ive put small scraps of plasticard under each joint, hoping to sand them down later so there not so obvious to the eye, i used some leggo bricks to get my right angles, so far its gone ok.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2021, 09:21:23 pm »

A great idea with the lego......now how to borrow some from my granddaughter  O0 O0
Steamed up all the time

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2021, 04:58:08 pm »

hi, all
a couple of pics of my progress of the grating so far, tedious job cutting and putting into place all the grating, attached a couple of the feet, these will need trimming to match the deck camber. unable to start the left side until i can sort out a fire hydrant for it.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2021, 03:26:28 pm »

hi all,
Heres my first serious attempt at bending and silver soldering, brass tube, this will be the helmsman back rest.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2021, 04:59:33 pm »

i have been busy again constructing the grating, apart from painting this looks pretty good, what do you guys think, ;)

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2021, 06:01:42 pm »

Nice bit of modelling Trucker very neat its looking good so far.
              Regards Howard.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2021, 07:43:25 pm »

thanks for looking Howard, im trying to do a nice job, believe it or not this is my first scratch build, so lots of learning

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2021, 11:46:13 pm »

Trucker,
I've said it before, this is some really good scratch building, especially as a first for you! You have made my day to see that you have had a go at silver soldering....and from what I can see [before it has been cleaned up] that looks very neat. There are times to use this and others when it's not required....it's down to when strength is required.....normally as a bit of 'Risk Management' for the future. But you have succeeded and will now have this 'extra technique' in your skills set to use as and when.
The other matter you have to consider is that this is [in my personal view] possibly the hardest area of any model lifeboat build to make and get right [the Mersey stern upper steering position], and you are clearly making a very good job of it.
Your patience in the grating build has paid off and must be very rewarding for you when you 'stand back' and look at what you have achieved. Well done so far. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing this with us.
Kim [C.C.]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:27 pm »

hi all,
ive been tackling the coxswains back rest again, using my new found skill, silver soldering, i have put together the entrance bar today, this will be able to rotate 360 degrees and hinge up, i under estimated the work involved for this but its been very satisfying, creating collars and blanking the ends off.

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2021, 04:17:46 pm »

Sorry Trucker,
I got my lines crossed with another modeller that is building the Mersey in my previous comments!! That said, all my comments apply regarding your work here!
Cheers,
Kim

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2021, 04:23:52 pm »

Getting to grips with my silver soldering after some help from you guys, these a a couple of pictures of the main mast (rebuild), some cleaning to do and work out a few more bits to add but im getting there.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2021, 05:49:29 pm »

Hi all
i have had to remake my lifeboat mast again, only because i just didnt like the way things were going with the silver soldering, what was happening was that because of  the heat required it became very soft and started to go out of shape, so, deep breath and rebuild number 4 was born, ive soft soldered all the joints, using a small blow torch and electrical solder, this had its own problems but its another skill ive learnt, another step towards the finish. LOL

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2021, 04:37:04 pm »

Hi all
ive made some small progress on my detailing of the Tyne class life boat, first pic shows the scratch built fire hydrant and a filling pipe, the hydrant was 3D printed for me but it was very brittle and broke, i managed to put the body together but had to make a new handle, second pic shows the same but painted, third pic is my scratch made rudders through to completion today. Also you can see two spot lights in the pic that i have wired up and completed.

Trucker

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2021, 07:53:10 pm »

Looking good  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2021, 12:06:57 pm »

Hi, all
I have had to remove the rubber rubbing strip from my Tyne class life boat due to the self adhesive tape failing
I'm left with a bit of a mess to clean off, so, I'm wondering what rubber others have use with success and how you attached it to the side of the hull, and where to obtain the rubber.

Trucker

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2021, 05:49:01 pm »

I normally use Cyno if it is flat to flat. Have a look at how the real one is fitted as sometimes it is fitted in a channel, nemesis

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2021, 06:14:23 pm »

from what i can see from the pictures i have of a real tyne class boat the rubber has many holes through it suggesting its bolted to the hull from the out side, unless i cut and shape a wooden rubbing strip the normal method from other builds is D shape profile rubber from the net, this is very soft and hollow so bolting is a no no

Trucker

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2021, 06:19:22 pm »

If it is D shape it will be flat on the back, try a test piece that replicates the boat with a drop of cyno, nemesis

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2021, 06:21:00 pm »

Hi, All
I have taken advantage of our lovely warm weather and put some paint on to the rebuilt main cabin, i can now start to push onwards and see some rewards.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2021, 06:24:30 pm »

my proposed pic didnt seem to get attached so hopefully its here.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2021, 07:38:39 pm »

hi all, work still goes on with my lifeboat, some detailing of the bridge area and main cabin, now redoing the escape hatch, checked the working of fwd spot lights and deck lighting, pictures tell the story,
Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2021, 05:14:33 pm »

Hi all, hope all well  :-)) , i have been adding a few bits to my tyne class lifeboat, recently added the glazing which is from some packaging product i then painted the inside with blue only because i havent detailed the inside, i think it looks fine, whippers added as well and an anchor placed by the winch, lots going on now almost completed the radar mast, my next part to complete.

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2021, 10:35:32 pm »

Trucker,
It's certainly a neat looking build and model. Keep up the good work, it looks as if you are enjoying the build...I hope so.....as that's what it is all about 'at the end of the day'.
Regards,
Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2021, 07:23:25 pm »

:-))  heres a couple of new pictures showing the mast light and deck lighting connected and final test, great feeling when things come together, enjoy your modelling guys...

Trucker

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.