Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Life Boat  (Read 39089 times)

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Tyne Class Life Boat
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2021, 01:31:45 am »

Well done with all your work and patience. Your Tyne class is very impressive.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2021, 06:36:42 pm »

Thank you for your encouragement  :-)) , heres a another picture of my latest parts made and added, ive now added a new black rubber fender around the hull, a new and better looking chain guide at the bow and a new roller behind that, the roller and guide are completely fabricated from many parts and sanded and shaped.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2021, 07:50:40 pm »

%%  Also have in the last few minutes completed and tested all the lighting using a Action P44 switcher, im impressed.....

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2021, 06:56:41 pm »

lighting up  :-))  all working as i had hoped, a big thanks to all that i have had help from from this forum regarding the electrics.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2021, 06:10:57 pm »

Hi all, constructed the two large  whip aerials today, most parts are aluminium tube, a brass sleeve was made into the bracket which holds the legs thats glued into position, next step some paint.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2021, 06:09:03 pm »

:((   put the tyne on the kids garden pool today, found it needed very little ballast which i thought was a good thing, secondly i found i had to put a lager main fuse in, i now have a 25 amp, but the most disturbing of all, it bloody leaks, can only be from around where the shaft go through aaaaaahhhhhh.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2021, 08:04:43 pm »

Traced the point where the leak is entering the hull, now to etch a plan for the repair, fiber glass is looking the best option to me, but it means another set back  {:-{

Trucker

RST

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2021, 02:05:26 am »

Hi, excuse my forgetfulness but looking back to early posts I can't remember if you built on a PS hull from sarik or a grp one from elsewhere?  Where's the leaks coming from?  It's looking very fantastic anyway.

Rich

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2021, 06:11:21 pm »

Hi, Rich.
Its been so long now from when i purchased the hull i cant remember where i actually purchased it, its a thin plastic hull. the leak appears to be from the area where i put the port side shaft through the hull...BUT, i now have worse things to fix, in my attempt to try and fix the leak i put a good lump of evostick gripall around the area of the leak DO NOT DO THIS ,, it generates heat and over a couple of days has destroyed the plastic and now has no strength or stability a massive rebuild is now on the cards. lots of tears and choice words around my garden...
 <:( <:( <:( <:(

Trucker

RST

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2021, 11:07:45 pm »

Hi,
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's the green Evo Stik "Gripfill"(?, I can't find Gripall?) that might be a problem.  I see on BnQ website it's advertised as solvent based and in the Evo Stik TDS is says "not suitable for EPS" -which is usually an indicator it's got solvents in there and unless it cures quick and they wick-out quickly / not applied too thick it can cause problems over longer term.  It does sound a bit like a PS vac-forming to me.  I have 5 or 6 hulls from Sarik at least some are described as ABS but they all seem to be in PS so far.  Not that there's anything wrong with that!  I kow some folk are using building adhesives quite OK but I'm struggling a bit with them so far.

I think you're better posting some pictures of the area.  At least also, now the stuff is in there it might be more hassle than it's worth to remove and just cope / repair around it after it's left long enough for the solvents to come out.  Depending where it is also of course the beuty of PS is that it's often repairable.

I can imagine you cursing like a wounded pirate, I think we've all been there at some point!
Rich

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2021, 06:13:11 pm »

Hi Rich
You are correct i did use Gripfill, guess thats what happens when i rush into getting my woes onto the web, ive managed to remove all the gripfill from the damaged area and started to put my repair plan into action, whilst im doing this im also improving some old work so, as it stands some work ahead.

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2022, 08:55:30 am »

Hello every one.
With the repairs to my damaged hull just about complete, i find my self battling with  <*< <*<  do i put the boat in the test pool before i put the paint over the repair or after, in my mind its both ways, what your thoughts pleas

Trucker

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2022, 09:02:52 am »

I would test the repair before applying paint, just to save any issues with the repair.
If it is wood make sure its sealed.

:-)
Regards,

Rich

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2022, 04:52:05 pm »

Hello all
My build on my tyne lifeboat hasnt gone to well since the discovery of the leak, if all goes well its in the test pool tomorrow, ive also had another go at building the railings around the coxswains steering area mainly because i failed with the bending parts, so here is the new one.

Trucker

JoJoElbe

• kind of lifeboat nerd .... just kind of ...
  • Full Mayhemer
    • modellwerft.spuelsaum.de (german + engl summarys)
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2022, 06:16:19 pm »

Hi Tucker,cool that it will go on.  I've just began with a hull and the plan in 1:19.  And I'm happy, that you put your build report online here. 

Bending brass tubes is mostly tricky. Now it's too late for hints and suggestions, but for some things I fake that bent brass tube with a polystyrol tube with a reasonable thick brass wire inside (>1mm diameter).Best regards, cool ship!Joerg
Actual: Tyne class + boathouse + slipway
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2022, 07:25:49 pm »

thanks for you reply my friend, bending the brass tube to some of the tight radius required is what caused the most issues, the new railings are all made from plastic rod, to bend i heated and found any object that suited the radius the bent the rod until i was satisfied, i hope you will enjoy your build of the tyne class lifeboat, dont forget to post your progress on here...

trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2022, 12:51:39 am »

Hi Trucker,
The railings are looking fine....time and patience well spent. :-))
Yes, brass tube does kink easily. A few tips, just in case you want to proceed this way in the future:
  • some model shops stock 'softer' brass tubing, normally used by the aeroplane fraternity, for their fuel lines. This is then soldered as per normal. It's worth noting this, just so you do not buy this when in a shop and actually want the normal harder version.
  • then you could apply heat and anneal the area you want to bend and then either use bending tubes [reasonably cheap and stocked by model shops in a pack of about five different diameters......
  • or even fill the tube with fine sand, prior to bending around a suitable radius object, as you have done with the plastic version above.
Any way, you're doing a sterling job and already you have the knowledge that another Tyne builder is using your build to help and encourage his build. Long may it continue!

Cheers,
Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2022, 03:28:43 pm »

Hi, all
think the mice in my shed are getting revenge for the traps i keep leaving them,  <*< i was ready to put some small antennas on to the roof this weekend, but can i find them, no,

dont you just hate it when you spend hours making tiny things and then, well, theyve gone  %%

Trucker

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2022, 04:46:30 pm »

Finally got the lifeboat in the grandchildrens pool  ;) for a leak test, after it being in the water for a couple of hours i can say with confidence the inside is dry.

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2022, 07:38:17 pm »

That's great Trucker :-)) !!
Well worth all the effort and a confirmation, ready for an outing in the early Spring...hopefully. She looks good on the water and I hope an encouragement for all the time and effort, so far, put in.
Kim [Canterbury Coxswain]

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2022, 09:29:18 pm »

Finally got the lifeboat in the grandchildrens pool  ;) for a leak test, after it being in the water for a couple of hours i can say with confidence the inside is dry.
Congratulations, leaking is always nasty. Right in time for getting out early in the year, as Kim mentioned.

Regards,Joerg
My models:  1:20 Motorlifeboat LÜBECK II (DGzRS), 1:20 Motorlifeboat WILMA SIKORSKI (DGzRS 9,5m), 1:10 Beachlifeboat GESINA (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Beachlifeboat MAX CARSTENSEN (DGzRS 7m), 1:20 Lifeboat Ponton + more

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2022, 04:55:34 pm »

Hi all
got some paint on the coxswains railings this weekend, im gonna call this bit finished,

Trucker

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2022, 06:17:49 pm »

Trucker,
You actually fooled me!!  {-) I had to look twice at the first two photos to see if it was the real boat or your model.......the tightly 'cropped' shot and the strong sunlight made it look like the actual boat! Well done with the detail. Looks great. Keep up the good work and [hopefully] enjoyment.
Kim

JoJoElbe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2022, 06:32:50 pm »

Hi,looks really great, and it's sunny after all these stormy days.  Ready for calls?  :-))

Best,Joerg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2022, 07:11:21 pm »

Wow that is class building  :-))   It looks so real I just don't know what to say - just amazing!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.