Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sanders  (Read 2115 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Sanders
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »

I need to up my sanding tools!

I'm looking at disc sanders (which would be used lots) and oscillating bobbin sanders (which I probably can't justify: it'd be very much one of those once-a-year tools).

There are, however bobbin and belt sander combos out there. Would I, oh esteemed purveyors of mayhemic knowledge, be better off with a disc sander only, or rely on one of these combis to cover both roles?

Do you have any preferred makes/models?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sanders
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 08:14:46 pm »

Hello Andy

I have been woodcarving for 25 years and model boating for about 12 and so far have not seen a need for a Bobbin Sander. I would suggest a combined Belt and Disc sander. I have a large one in the garage with a 10" Disc and 4" belt but this very much for heavy duty stuff. In my small workshop I have one with a 1" Belt and 4" Disc and this gets a lot of use on the boats. I would suggest this is a good starting point. Try Machine Mart who have one for £83.98 inc Vat. This is by Clarke, and I have no qualms about the quality of anything I have bought from Machine Mart. Also worth a look at Axminster Tools and Machinery who have a similar model for £79.96.

John

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 11:42:30 am »

Thanks John, perfect answer!  :-))

Andy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:33:45 am »

Axminster wins! Their AW130BD2 turned up today with a couple of spare belts and discs. I think it will fit in the shed nicely.

I am a happy bunny. Full marks to Axminster for such a prompt order, and an early Merry Christmas to you all!

...It'll be used later today.

Andy

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:34:08 pm »

Hello Andy

That looks like the latest version of the Axminster sander I bought "quite a few years ago". The small belt is ideal for even the smallest boat pieces, but watch your fingernails! Should be a good buy.

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:17:01 pm »

had to look up what a bobbin sander was then...…..just to say in all my years as a model builder I can't ever remember what I would have used one for...……….now, a disc and belt sander...….. 25 years and counting use every other day at least, and still going  strong.

a wise choice andy…..it will serve you well.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:49 pm »

had to look up what a bobbin sander was then...…..just to say in all my years as a model builder I can't ever remember what I would have used one for...

Internal work on ply 'open hole' frames. Plenty of work on wooden clock gears. (Watch this space!) But for boaty bits, the belt and disc seem pretty much perfect. I love it.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.