Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV Bute (A Caledonian MacBrayne car ferry)  (Read 1475 times)

ANM446

• Andrew
  • Shipmate
MV Bute (A Caledonian MacBrayne car ferry)
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:44:32 pm »

Hi all,
This is my second ever model my first being another calmac vessel (MV Jupiter) on another forum.
But I have recently just started the frame work for my next model.
I have decided to use strips of wood for the hull instead of several big pieces of plywood.
I’m not sure if I’m doing it right or what to do next but hey that’s the point.
I would appreciate any tips and tricks as I’m only 15.
Thanks Andrew

Ps could someone tell me how to add photos, thanks

Andrew Miller

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MV Bute (A Caledonian MacBrayne car ferry)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:01:26 pm »

Welcome to Mayhem Andrew. May I say how refreshing it is see a young modeller joining the group. Are you a member of any club , nearby Greenock for instance ?   A few of that club are members here too, a wealth of knowledge and a nice club-house and pond to sail on.  I was on a couple of CalMac ferries a couple of weeks ago when I went to see the Bluebird K7 at Rothesay.  There are one or two CalMac  enthusiasts on Mayhem, they will surface soon I`m sure.  There is a photo "how-to-do-it" somewhere. one of the mods will advise. We are all interested in pictures.
..well can you land on this?

ANM446

• Andrew
  • Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »

Yes I’ve been up to Greenock a few times but I’m not currently a member, I will have a look I. How to upload photos but in the meantime I have posted them on another forum-  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3140987-MV-Bute-%28Another-Calmac-Vessel%29
On there you can see my first attempt of a model I’m pretty happy with it as it’s only first because it didn’t sink {-)

Andrew Miller

ANM446

• Andrew
  • Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 11:08:30 am »

Still can’t figure out how to post photos, not sure if it’s actually possible to do on my phone so will have to transfer them to my laptop and post them that way. If anyone has done vid mobile phone before could you please message me.

Thanks Andrew
Andrew Miller

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:02:55 pm »

Welcome to the forum Andrew!

The biggest pointers to get planking done easier is as follows:

Sand the edges of the frames so that when you run a length of your planking timber (Lime or Bass wood are recommended) there are no triangular gaps between the plank and the edge of the frame. This provides a better surface to glue the planks to making the joints stronger.

Measure the length of the largest frame from top point of hull (not always the highest or lowest point on your frames as they may have integral supports to hold them to the building board) to the outer edge of the keel(or centre of the hull if building a modern hull without exposed keel timber) and divide this length by the width of your chosen timber planks and this will give you the number of planks you require. Doing the same at each frame will also tell you how wide the plank needs to be at that point so you can shape them to fit.

If the planks are too short to cover the entire length of hull in one go, always start the new plank on a frame so you have a stronger joint.

Try and avoid stealers which are long triangular bits of plank added to fill awkward gaps at or near the end of a planking run, though if the timber is good and you start at a frame, it should be alright especially once you have glassed the hull.

Choose or specify good straight runs of planking timber as knots or shakes (Odd brown corky areas or rot) will be a weakness especially if you are twisting the plank in more than one plane. A reputable company like SLEC should provide a much more reliable quality of timber throughout.

If using Balsa, and some modellers use it to good effect, specify at least a medium grade of timber as soft balsa is weaker and not necessarily easier to use. Medium grade is no more difficult to cut and shape than Lime or Bass.

Lastly, enjoy yourself and prepare well to save wasting materials and keep your tools sharp! If in doubt replace that knife blade or hone that chisel.
Pond weed is your enemy

ANM446

• Andrew
  • Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 06:06:15 pm »

Ok, cheers for the advice will try to work it into the model.

Next update will probably be when the hull is finished and primed.
Andrew Miller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.