Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MAYHEM IS TOO QUIET TONIGHT - MUST BE WATCHING STRICTLY  (Read 7468 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
MAYHEM IS TOO QUIET TONIGHT - MUST BE WATCHING STRICTLY
« on: October 13, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »

Hi all

Mayhem has been awfully quiet - everyone must be watching Strictly dancing or X-Factor - cos there doesn't seem to be many builds on the go on the Forum :-)

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MAYHEM IS TOO QUIET TONIGHT - MUST BE WATCHING STRICTLY
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:52:13 pm »

I'ed sooner eat my own liver. then watch dribble tv
            Regards Howard.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 06:58:11 pm »

That kind of rubbish is Strictly off limits in my household  <*< >>:-(

Regards, 
Ray.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »

Actually strictly is probably one of the better shows on tv at the moment.
Anyone watching the railway building series on a Friday.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:42:39 pm »

We are all sad to be on here because STAV'S gone .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »

I think it's a bit unfair to criticise something that gives so many people pleasure. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it rubbish! I wouldn't mind betting that the other halves of many people on here secretly think we are bunch of juvenile geeks playing with toy boats but I bet most of them are still happy to indulge us as we should in turn recognise that they have their own interests which we don't necessarily share.

Each to their own. There's room for all.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 08:15:16 pm »

Stav's gone where !!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 10:37:57 pm »

I think it's a bit unfair to criticise something that gives so many people pleasure. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it rubbish! I wouldn't mind betting that the other halves of many people on here secretly think we are bunch of juvenile geeks playing with toy boats but I bet most of them are still happy to indulge us as we should in turn recognise that they have their own interests which we don't necessarily share.

Colin

True, very true.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 10:59:24 pm »

I and many of my friends like strictly  O0  even my son started watching it  {-)
Own up! Don’t be a closet fan  ;)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 04:57:39 am »

too busy cleaning up and rewiring the lights on a happy hunter.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 07:37:18 am »

I and many of my friends like strictly  O0  even my son started watching it  {-)
Own up! Don’t be a closet fan  ;)

i would rather superglue my tongue to the toilet seat  {-)

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 08:01:14 am »

Colin

.......and just because it is popular does not mean it is good, which leaves it open to criticism from the more discerning viewer!

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 08:26:51 am »

Strictly is on the BBC it's funded by the licence payer I'm a licence payer i think it's rubbish I'm allowed to criticise I'm a stock holdeholder :}
badly raised and ill mannered.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 08:27:36 am »

Luckily our television has a fault, it only receives forensic dramas. 

This long standing fault may have oft driven me to the workshop to avoid repeats I have seen too many times, but it has also protected me from inadvertently being sat in front of Soaps, MOTD, and all those dreaded so-called reality programmes.

If I don't like the programme selected I just slope off to do some boat building.   {-)

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:30 am »

Some interesting psychology coming out here!  :-) 

Colin

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 08:38:43 am »

Golf is popular Trump plays golf - discuss (Oxford & Cambridge philosophy for 8 - 12 years)  :}
badly raised and ill mannered.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 09:01:32 am »

Strictly is on the BBC it's funded by the licence payer I'm a licence payer i think it's rubbish I'm allowed to criticise I'm a stock holdeholder :}

Good point, does it bring any value or just another way or creating media hype in relationship management....
Regards,

Rich

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 09:35:06 am »

Strictly is the reason I began ballroom dancing in 2011. After years of naggpersuading I relented and opted to go with my wife. I enjoyed it for 2 years, but thank God we moved to Spain! Dancing was ok, the hip rotating etc for rumbas and salsas was out the window. Or as I remarked which didn't go down well -- I'm an overweight Englishman, not some 7 stone south american gigolo. I'm just wiggling 50 years of fat, not bony hips.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 09:46:55 am »

I think there is a bit of a subtext here that dancing is for wimps, not proper blokes, especially with a couple of Cunarders on the judging panel.

The show is actually very well made, entertaining if you like that sort of thing (and many do) and slick and gets very high ratings. It also provides a rare feel good factor at a time when much of what you see on the news and in dramas entails people being bumped off in various ways. So I think it is perfectly OK for the BBC to stage it although I prefer Dr Who myself... ok2

In many areas you have to distinguish between what you simply don't like or are not interested in and what could actually be described as rubbish although even this distinction can be blurred. I am totally uninterested in football and hate tennis but recognise that at the higher levels there is a lot of skill involved.

Many people like and follow F1 racing where there is lots of cutting edge technology and excitement at being around it. Yet a driver can 'win' a race because his team mate who is actually in the lead has been ordered to move over and let him through - for the good of the team. Now that I don't think is racing and is rubbish!

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 09:54:32 am »

Interesting and humorous replies  O0 {-)  especially CA tongue to bog seat  %%
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 10:10:55 am »

Well, if CA does that the consequences could be catastrophic if he attempts a lift....

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 10:32:33 am »

Interesting - not, I don't personally like the programs - the wife might, but we are in the middle of renovating the kitchen, so repairing the wall where plaster falls off and lining paper fitted where it had come loose, today completing more lining paper fixing and the wife is getting my youngest to sand the paintwork down whilst she follows wiping up the dust, me - moving stuff around to get ready for the decorating, usual ceiling, walls, painting and woodwork glossing and a bit of paperhanging.

Once all that's done we are waiting until we get the nod from the joiner on the replacement worktops being fitted, then the real work starts, fitting new doors to the kitchen cabinets and fitting new pelmets, all precision work to give that WOW factor.  >>:-( and all before Christmas and Brexit.  {-) [size=78%]  [/size]
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:48 am »

Hello All, I confess!  I like Strictly!  I take issue with the view it is for wimps though. 
Look how worn out the celebrities are after a 90 second routine.

When you go to a dance it goes on for upwards of 3 hours, you have to be fit. 
I used to dance with a lady who rarely sat down just kept on dancing, we did all the dances you see on Strictly I think I / we danced to 11 different dances. I used to take a second shirt with me to change into halfway.
 My preference is Argentine Tango.  I started dancing A. tango over 20 years ago and we then had to ask for the music and usually got a round of applause afterwards, now it is an accepted dance, well locally at least.
I have not danced for 2 years now but I was suffering from knee pain and I decided it was that and have an op or give up.

Many of the professional dancers make an extra income doing exhibition dances all round the country.  The first time I saw the well known professional Argentine Tango pair now no longer on Strictly, and before they were on TV a friend and fellow model boater at the next table turned to me and said "I bet he can't make model boats though"!

The current collection of celebrities on Strictly has a very attractive blonde lady and her dad is in our model club.

I say don't knock it because you can't do it!  You really do not know what you are missing! I know there are some blokes out there with a lack of co-ordination of the limbs but even that can be sorted.
As I said I gave up dancing 2 years ago I was very fit and could dance most of the night I was 78 then but even older now!  But no sore knees.

There are about 8 ladies for every gent who can dance and they all appreciate a good dancer.  I always knew if a lady partner had a crap dancer husband if I danced with her, she would be used to leading, or in some cases dancing round a pole, I would say "Relax close your eyes and dance", it worked very well.
I miss dancing but the knee pain was a bit too much and fortunately I have other interests.

Anyone out there a Bridge Tournament Director?  I was doing that for even longer.
Oh well back to the model boats I am doing a restoration for a small pond yacht 14 inches long rather crude but alegedly 75 years old.
Regards to all and if you can "Keep dancing"
Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 10:42:26 am »

We wont even mention Gogglebox at this stage - I fell out with that programme way back - when a lass from Durham, who was on the programme, thought that Nelson's column in London was a statue of Nelson Mandela and not Nelson of HMS Victory.  Tragic that just shows what is being taught in schools today.

Another programme on the telly that disappointed me was about Models of Battle of Britain - to me that was just a very expensive model aircraft wasted.

What about the programme that is on about Model Railways at the moment - I was hoping that would be showing more techniques about how they make model railways - instead its focussing on me, me, me I am best - hahah another tongue to glue to the toilet seat I think :-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 11:33:06 am »

That kind of rubbish is Strictly off limits in my household  <*< >>:-(
Regards, 
Ray.

Compulsory viewing this  house.  <:(
 Mrs Mayhem likes to watch Strictly during family dinner on Saturdays.
 I hate Strictly with a passion, mainly because of the "judges" commentary.  >>:-(
 Gina hates 'my commentary' on the 'judges commentary' even more than I hate the "judges" commentary and Mrs Mayhem hates both of us.... etc, etc!
 ...  The upshot is I try to eat dinner as fast as I can.
        My current record for chicken, chips and salad is 3 minutes, 56 seconds!  %)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.